Quick Picks 02/14/12

Topic started by Guest_Author on Feb. 16, 2012. Last post by metalsnakezero 2 years, 5 months ago.
Post by Guest_Author (0 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Staff

Welcome to the weekly Quick Picks. I have compiled a list of the manga and anime releases for this week with a little commentary by yours truly.

This week there we have turtle dinosaurs, music bands and role playing games:

Gon Vol. 4
Gon Vol. 4

1) Growing up I was obsessed with dinosaurs since the first movie I ever watched was The Land Before Time. That's why my first pick is the fourth volume of Gon. Kodansha Comics is continues the series about a "scrappy dinosaur": "All dinosaurs have gone extinct... except for Gon. Follow the adventures of this scrappy dinosaur as he encounters all kinds of creatures in the Tertiary Period, and shows them anything they can do, Gon can do better. Told entirely without words, Gon marches across the wilderness defending the friendly and furry from the mean and hungry." I have never heard of this book before but after taking a look at that cover, how can you not think you want to pet that cute dino?

K-On!
K-On!

2) I know a lot of you guys would agree that K-On! is a pretty fun series. My second pick isBandai's release of the complete collection of the series: "When Yui Hirasawa enters high school, she wants to join a club but can't decide which one is right for her. Fortunately, the Light Music Club is desperate to find another member or else they'll be disbanded! With the enticement of delicious snacks and assurances that no musical experience is necessary, Yui joins up, becoming the guitarist in this all-girl high school rock band. Together with Mio Akiyama on bass, Tsumugi Kotobuki on keyboard, and Ritsu Tainaka on drums, they're going to rock the school and someday make it to the Budokan! Now, if only they can just put down the snacks long enough to practice..." This would definitively be a nice addition to my collection.

.hack//Quantum
.hack//Quantum

3) Do you like role playing games? How 'bout stories about role playing games? Have you ever heard of .hack? For my third and final pick FUNimation is releasing the three .hack//QuantumOVA episodes: "Tobias, Mary, and Sakuya are way into the The World. Together, they form an inseparable group, grinding toward the break of day and running dungeons in search of the artifacts of adventure. But when the trio becomes lost in this virtual labyrinth, a chance encounter with the mysterious entity known only as Hermit will change their lives forever. There's an eerie darkness spreading across The World, and once you stumble in, you may never make it out." I've always wanted to get into this franchise... It sounds like a fun concept.

Now it's your turn. What are your picks for this week?

Manga Releases

TitlePublisherSRPAmazonRightStufDate
20th Century Boys Vol. 19Viz Media$12.99$9.75$9.7502/14/12
Bloody Monday Vol. 4Kodansha Comics$10.99$8.70$8.2402/14/12
Cardcaptor Sakura - Omnibus Vol. 3Dark Horse Comics$19.99$9.99$14.9902/14/12
Gon Vol. 4Kodansha Comics$10.99$9.34$8.2402/14/12
InuYasha Vol. 10 (VIZBIG Edition)Viz Media$17.99$11.85$13.4902/14/12
Kekkaishi Vol. 30Viz Media$9.99$9.99$7.4902/14/12
Maoh: Juvenile Remix Vol. 9Viz Media$9.99$9.99$7.4902/14/12

Anime Releases

TitleCompanySRPAmazonRightStufDate
.hack//Quantum - Complete OVA Series (DVD/Blu-Ray)FUNimation$29.98$22.99$22.4902/14/12
Chrome Shelled Regios - Complete Series (DVD)FUNimation$64.98$44.99$48.7402/14/12
Hell Girl: Three Vessels - Season 3 Complete Collection (DVD)Sentai Filmworks$69.98$40.99$52.4902/14/12
K-On! - Anime Legends Complete Collection (DVD)Bandai Entertainment$39.98$29.99$23.9902/14/12
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1 (Blu-Ray)Aniplex of America$49.98-$39.9802/14/12
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1 (DVD)Aniplex of America$39.98-$29.9802/14/12
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1 - Limited Edition with CD (DVD/Blu-Ray)Aniplex of America$94.98-$74.9802/14/12
Vexille - Special S.A.V.E. Edition (Blu-Ray)FUNimation$19.98$17.99$14.9902/14/12
Vexille - Special S.A.V.E. Edition (DVD)FUNimation$14.98$13.49$11.2402/14/12

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter: @sora_thekey

Post by metalsnakezero (666 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Got my Madoka Magica DVD/Blu-ray and its pretty awesome. So why no talk about it? Its the biggest release out of everything here!

Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@metalsnakezero: What's so awesome about it? (I didn't pay attention to that release because RightStuf didn't show much info about it)

@sora_thekey: You mean you haven't seen the buzz everywhere? Here, they have it on their main site: http://www.madokamagicausa.com/product-combo1.php

@metalsnakezero: I did see all of that. What I meant was, I don't know what Madoka Magica is about.

@sora_thekey: Oh I see. If you want, you can now watch it on Hulu every Wednesday:

http://www.hulu.com/madoka-magica

@metalsnakezero: :( Hulu doesn't like Mexico...

@metalsnakezero: Oh but CrunchyRoll is going to start streaming it: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-751053/puella-magi-madoka-magica-comes-to-crunchyroll What is the show about?

@sora_thekey: It'll be streaming on both Hulu and CrunchyRoll. Anyway the shows is a twist on the magical girl genre where usually those shows are all about fighting the bad guy and doing the right thing while being cute. With Madoka Magica, they take darker turns with the idea of being a magical girl and more specially what does the main character Madoka has to do with it.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel