Pick the Next Show I'll View for Watch & Learn!

Topic started by No_name_here on July 1, 2010. Last post by hitsusatsu11 4 years ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
Alright. I've wrapped up watching DEATH NOTE and I've got five options of what to watch next on DVD. Since this is all about what you'd like to see, I want you to vote and decide which of these you want me to watch.

COWBOY BEBOP
FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST
BERSERK
GURREN LAGANN
ABENOBASHI 

UPDATE: I also have access to TRIGUN.

I'm thinking of mixing things up and alternating my reviews of these shows every other day. Given that I've just finished watching too long, dark shows, I'd like to watch something short and light. So if there's anything on Hulu that fits that bit, pitch it to me and I'll consider watching it.
Post by Liminality (173 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, there are 2, one separated from the manga and then Brotherhood, which follows the manga but... it's not really short :(
Post by AJV (51 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I'd like to hear your thoughts on Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Gurren Laggan.
Maybe you could mix it up a little.
FMA can be viewed on Funimation's wedsite ( http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=280 ) 
while GL and be viewed on Hulu.com
 ( http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Gurren+Lagann&st=0) 
Hope that helps. : )

Post by Count_Zero (344 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I'm going to go with Berserk - mainly because I did a Where I Watch thread at RPG.net (a Where I Watch is similar to a Watch and Learn) for that series, and because it makes a nice balance to mix it up between newer series and older series. 

That said, after whatever series you do next, I strongly recommend cleaning the proverbial palate after that (as all of the series you listed have their dark elements) with something light, fluffy, and slice of life - and possible quite absurd. To be specific - either Azumanga Daioh or Pani Poni Dash. Though, if you go with Pani Poni Dash, try to find the ADV release if you can - that release included a translator notes pop-up track (ala Pop-Up Video) which explains some of the jokes. 

EDIT: I retract take my first pick - go with Gurren Lagann - particularly since I'm wondering if anyone else shares my opinion that Eva & Gurren Lagann are to super robot anime what Watchmen and Kingdom Come are to western superhero comics.
Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" Given that I've just finished watching two long, dark shows, I'd like to watch something short and light. "
Would those two be Eva and Death Note?  Eva is the shorter of the two at 26 episodes, which is as long or longer than everything on your list except for Abenobashi.  Cowboy Bebop is light-hearted at times, Abenobashi seems really light hearted and from what I've seen of Gurren, it's super goofy. 

Abenobashi fits short and light the most imo although I didn't see it on Hulu so I couldn't follow along with you, which is  a bummer.  Personally I'd rather see you talk about Cowboy Bebop.  If you're looking for other short and light shows on Hulu, Tatami Galaxy is one that I'd like to see your take on as well.  Crunchyroll has a lot of free shows that are short and light too that you might like as well.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
ABENOBASHI  is my choice because I've seen the others and I heard amazing things about this one years ago, but until you mentioned it here, it had fallen off my radar.   Yeah, I'm being selfish here, but there are lots of review on Gurren Lagann, Bebop and FMA around already.  Okay, Berserk is less abundant, so that might be a good choice later on.

After that, I think you should review Pani Poni Dash just to see if you can make heads or tails of it.  I really enjoyed it even if I only understood the majority of the jokes thanks to translator notes.  I thought it was funny that the show was referenced in Lucky Star since that show is a less nonsensical, less absurdest version of the same thing.  For me, Lucky Star is like Seinfeld in that it's about nothing and Pani Poni is like Monty Python where every few minutes it's time for something completely different. The aliens of Pani Poni were humorous, too. 
Post by BestChancethor (13 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Trigun. simply because it is the best anime of all time
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I say go with Gurren Lagann. It is an enjoyable lighthearted show (mostly) if you are not looking for something that is too complicated in plot or character background and development. To back that up there are some cool and ridiculous action sequences. That and I would like to rewatch  the show through your impressions like I did with Death Note.

Abenobashi - too goofy
Beserk - too brutal
Fullmetal Alchemist - too deep (and why not Brotherhood)
Cowboy Bebop - the show has been honored for over a decade. We get it it's good.

I would say the same for Trigun as I did with Bebop, but Trigun has a good amount of goofy lightheartedness like Gurren Lagann does, and there are a few themes in the show worth discussion. I vote for Gurren or Trigun. 

Can we get a poll or vote count in this thread?
Post by OmegaChosen (43 posts) See mini bio Level 6
If you want light and fun I'd say The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, if you can get access to it that is. It's kind of polarizing for some people though, with most people liking it but minority hating it. It's pretty short too.

If that list is all you got then I'd probably go Gurren Lagann(as much as I don't like it) if you want fun. It's not overly long(about the normal 26 episode season) and people seem to really like it. Personally I prefer Fullmetal Alchemist(the first series) and though I've never seen all of Cowboy Bepop what I have seen I've certainly liked. Those shows do have their fair share of comedy but FMA does get kinda dark and I can't vouch for CB much. Also FMA is hella long.

So yeah, in short from your list Gurren Lagann. I never liked it personally but I'm a small minority. :/
Post by sotyfan16 (1,340 posts) See mini bio Level 20

My vote is for Fullmetal Alchemist. 

Yes it's long but it's really good. If you pick Gurren Lagann you can stream most of it through your gaming console or computer. I haven't finished Cowboy Bebop yet and haven't started Trigun either. Haven't had much interest in Berserk or Abenobashi.

Post by macker33 (528 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Bebop,how can you not have seen one of the iconic animes?
Post by Chroma (146 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I'm voting for Fullmetal Alchemist. I don't care about the criticisms. To me, it is such a good show. :]
Post by OnlyWonderBoy (16 posts) See mini bio Level 4
@Count_Zero said:
"particularly since I'm wondering if anyone else shares my opinion that Eva & Gurren Lagann are to super robot anime what Watchmen and Kingdom Come are to western superhero comics. "
I don't disagree with that statement lol. 

If you are looking for shorter and lighter defiantly go with Gurren Lagann. Its about 26 episodes but has a way different tone then your last shows. It doesn't really require near as much thinking. Its kind of one of those 'check your brains at the door' shows. Although I feel as though that's why many people don't like it. It requires a certain suspension of disbelief, but if you just go with it it's a fun ride. Just don't go in expecting any heavy themes about religion or god complexes (well i guess there is one religious bit, but it's not a main part of the show, but i digress). Anyway that's where i cast my vote.
Post by Captain_Felafel (1 posts) See mini bio Level 3
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Sure it's long, sitting pretty at 64 episodes, and it isn't as light as say a Gurren Lagann is, but for what it's worth, it's one of the best examples of modern anime in the last few years that I can recall watching. Though, if you ever have any interest in watching the original Fullmetal Alchemist over or as well as Brotherhood, then that should be your first pick, as Brotherhood really shines a bright light on every flaw of the original. That's not surprising per say, as technically FMA is just 40-some episodes of filler tacked onto the original handful of chapters of the manga's storyline, but it's still GOOD filler, just not Brotherhood good.
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Post by Necrotoxin (30 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Fullmetal Alchemist is good, but I liked Brotherhood more so, I say Gurren Lagann! 
Post by D34dM4n (51 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Is it regular old FMA (if so, is Conqueror of Shamballa going to be included?) or Brotherhood? either of those is good, or Gurren Lagann cuz it's crazy
Post by metalsnakezero (665 posts) See mini bio Level 16
FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST, dude.
Post by Ninja_Nova (9 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Fullmetal Alchemist is my vote...it's a great show(FMA Brotherhood is even better).
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
 Fullmetal Alchemist
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel