Ooh, Ooh, Oo-wah Oo-wah! Caramelldansen is Japan's Best Single?

Topic started by gia on March 2, 2009. Last post by OkazukiIchigo 5 years, 4 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

If you've been to a con in the last couple of years, odds are good you've seen it: a person, or a group of people, dancing to a strange but catchy tune whose lyrics, as far as you can tell, are “uwah uwah,” with their hands curled up against the sides of their heads opening and closing. If you can call that dancing.

That's Caramelldansen, a 2001 dance single from Swedish group Caramell (it's generally played at double-time). It became part of a growing meme when two characters from the game Popotan were animated doing the aforementioned dance, which has now expanded-- you can find characters from almost any anime doing the Caramelldansen. The song was remixed a number of times for a new single that was released by the Swedes in Japan, now titled “Uu Uu Uaa Uaa,” which won single of the year (along with boyband Arashi's “truth” single).

Other anime-related winnings: Gake no Ue no Ponyo's title theme was among the best five songs of the year, and its soundtrack won Soundtrack Album of the Year, too. Oddly enough, though, BLEACH BEST TUNES was Animation Album of the Year. (Though Bleach does have a phenomenal soundtrack.)

I wish I could list all the awards, because so many of the artists are ones you'd be familiar with either because of their ubiquity (Ayumi Hamasaki, Arashi, Utada Hikaru) and/or because of their anime themes (Mr. Children, Namie Amuro). If I find an English-language list of all the winners later I'll link it in the Daily Shin Buun. In the meantime, the shot above is from the original Caramelldansen meme (with Popotan), but here's a little collection of other Caramelldansen shots, just 'cause they're so cute.

...Oh god, is that enough of these for you yet? I'm getting cavities...

Post by ComradeCrash (152 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I love this song...I think the dance is a little weird...
Post by otakureview (47 posts) See mini bio Level 1
hehe the dance is pointless but strangely hypnotic. I particularly enjoyed seeing the Dr. Horrible version ^_^
Oo oo oowah oowah....
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Kinda like the song but not a all time favorite XD

Deka`s are cute too
Deka`s are cute too

Post by Sonata (35,101 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
I have been seeing those around and I wondering what they were about, so cute!:)
Post by Lunarmoth (193 posts) See mini bio Level 5
ehhh.... It could be worst. They could of choose a song we couldn't dance to, in a weird way. Eh... I don't know what I'm saying? Let shut up and dance. *dance dance*
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I love the animations I've seen. They're so bloody adorable.

The only thing I get annoyed by is when I walk around a con, I'd randomly hear it and see people dance it. It's just not as cute when it's real life.
RedRoses: it's fun to be a part of a growing mass of Caramelldansers, though.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I think I'm just not one to dance spontaneously I think. Sometimes they get in the way when I wanna go somewhere.
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
The power of the internet is a truly frightening thing...
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Yeah, I'm now tainted with that damned song... and oh! My old Link and Marth pic is there! SCORE!
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Yeah, I'm now tainted with that damned song... and oh! My old Link and Marth pic is there! SCORE!
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel