One Manga Closed down, many more scaniations sites to follow.

Topic started by Little_Sparrow on July 22, 2010. Last post by InfiniteGeass 4 years, 1 month ago.
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
So as a few of you would know  the manga publishers have recently been  in talks about scaniations, basically if you have been reading your weekly manga on the web, like most of us do you will have discovered a few of them are clearing out their Manga issues and closing down or just keeping their forums going, one such site is One Manga below is their message to the users

"There is an end to everything, to good things as well."

It pains me to announce that this is the last week of manga reading on One Manga (!!). Manga publishers have recently changed their stance on manga scanlations and made it clear that they no longer approve of it. We have decided to abide by their wishes, and remove all manga content (regardless of licensing status) from the site. The removal of content will happen gradually (so you can at least finish some of the outstanding reading you have), but we expect all content to be gone by early next week (RIP OM July 2010).

So what next? We're not really sure at this point, but we have some ideas we would like to try out. Until then, the One Manga forums will remain active and we encourage all of you to continue using them. OMF has developed into a great community and it would be a shame to see that disappear.

You can also show us some love in this moment of sadness by 'liking' our brand new Facebook page. It would be nice to see just how many of you came to enjoy our 'better than peanut butter and jelly' invention. 

So what does this mean to those who do read their manga's on the web, I have done it in the past but still bought the manga when  had the chance. Did many of you visit One Manga, what does this mean  to you?    Is this good news or bad? 
Post by metalsnakezero (670 posts) See mini bio Level 16
It was bound to happen sooner or later and its the right thing to do if you truly want to support your favorite manga.
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I will miss that site very much, i even just found out they opened a 16+ sister site! and on that site i finished like 5 series i expected to never hit the shelves within two weeks! lol

It was good but for the sake of manga as a whole i guess its time to move on.
Post by Dream (7,472 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Just means you have to hunt down the actual scanlator group sites now as sites like OneManga and Mangahelpers were more like exhibitors for the manga projects they've done and with the large number of manga they had on them, they were easy pickings.
Post by Ace829 (52 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Any news on MangaFox's status? I migrated there as soon as I saw that message.
I forgot to add that i'm hoping they will hit the pay sites really soon! i mean when i was starting out with reading manga i found a few of those sites and i'm pretty sure they are still up!.
 Because now its kinda like this: *Hey you wanna read those manga that you can read for free on other sites but you can't find just yet? pay up!!*
Online Now
@Ace829:  Currently, they're still planning to post manga. But being one of the major scanlation sites online, it won't surprise me if they get targeted next. Another major site in the manga industry's witch hunt I'm thinking would also be Spectrum Nexus.
Post by Morita_Shunsuke (1,029 posts) See mini bio Level 9
PIRATES UNITE!!! 

We must find a way to upload them illegally!
@Dream:  and Animea.net too
Post by KaosAngel (199 posts) See mini bio Level 12
...so aside from 2channel threads, where can we go for the raws?  

I'd prefer an English site, but if 2channel is the only choice...then it shall be there.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I'm going to go bankrupt now...
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I read about that earlier today.  While it's good on their part to stop piracy, but what will the fans do now?  Make their own private sites?  P2P?
Online Now
Some of you might be wondering what exactly is going on with the scanlation site witch hunt that's gone on the past couple months. I'll quote what I detailed on the matter from another forum I frequent:

The aggressive legal pressure on such sites isn't from legislation. It's from a business union of 36 influential American and Japanese manga publishing companies hunting down 30 known scanlation sites that are aggregating the work of various scanlation groups with online ads on pages of these aggregating sites that allow them to gain some profit for each click a Web use makes on their sites. The webmasters gain profit from the presence of the ads while the publishers lose money from the massive aggregation that such sites are doing.  

In other words, its sites that offer up a massive listing of manga scanlations where they post ads to milk some profit from visitors. That's what has manga publishers going bonkers right now.
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@Dream:   That makes sense.
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Just as long as Mangafox does not get shut down I will be ok...it is my only online source that I trust for my manga reading and I would hate to have to use a pay site (which I would, but reluctantly) or buy all of it from Amazon

Shame to see One Manga bite the dust....R.I.P
Post by Necrotoxin (30 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I use manga Stream for my needs.
Post by sickVisionz (4,262 posts) See mini bio Level 24
It would be nice if these illegal sites got shut down and a legal alternative was offered.  Without that, people will just move to different, newer sites or switch to torrent based sites.  The only thing I've seen is some legal manga project that said they'd be brining hundreds of boy love titles :( and another project that has no backing from anybody who makes content that I enjoy. 

A lot of people hate Viz but I wish they'd open up a CR site.  They publish over 90% of the manga that I physically own and in any given month they're the US publisher for 99% of the content that I read.  I'd definitely sign up for a Crunchyroll like service from them.
Post by SamJaz (12,528 posts) See mini bio Level 20
And this is just the thing. It's not about people getting the product for free. It's that money's being made and it's not going to the publishers. I'm surprised none of the hosting sites haven't offered to cut them in.
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
yes it is bad for publishers that these sites exist and it is bad for the industry but for people like me who live in ireland manga is not easy to come by and what is available is overpriced and so i am left with ebay or an online reader. just like the RIAA manga publishers should embrace online and use it to generate legal revenue streams instead of just shutting sites down
Online Now
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel