Oldest anime/manga you've watched/read?

Topic started by Godot on April 14, 2011. Last post by CodeSaint 3 years, 2 months ago.
Post by Godot (113 posts) See mini bio Level 14
The other day I discovered the fact that Mobile Suit Gundam was streaming on Crunchyroll. Because I liked Gundam Wing and Gundam 00, I thought I'd check it out; partly to learn about the origins of the real robot genre, and partly curiosity at how far animation and storytelling in anime have come along over the years (a lot, as it would turn out). It occurred to me that it was probably the oldest anime series I've ever seen, and found out it clocked in at the year 1979. From the same year, I've also seen Miyazaki's wonderful The Castle of Cagliostro.

The oldest manga (of the few I've read to completion) I've read is Osamu Tezuka's MW, which I enjoyed a fair bit; it was originally published in 1976-78.

So what about you? What's the oldest anime/manga you've watched/read?
Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Although i've only read one volume of it, the oldest manga i've read is Osamu Tezuka's Blackjack which ran from 1973-1983. 

Post by Halberdierv2 (1,286 posts) See mini bio Level 17
the oldest Ive watched in terms of the earlist anime I watched and also the oldest anime Ive watched would go to...
@Halberdierv2: 1967-8? We have a new champion :D I must confess I've only seen clips of it, and that Dexter's Laboratory spoof episode.
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
The oldest series that I have seen (so far) is the Pokemon series...I have yet to watch Evangelion or other series from before 1997.
The oldest manga that I have read so far is the one that has the kids on a island competing in "the lottery" by having to be the last one standing after killing all of their competitors. Not sure on the title, but I think TokyoPop published it.
@ShadowKnight508:  Battle Royale, metinks. It was "the program" rather than "the lottery", but that plot is unmistakably Battle Royale.
Post by Dream (7,087 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Hols: Prince of the Sun. First premiered in Japanese theaters on July 21, 1968.
Post by ronat1 (127 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Godot: Saint Seiya is the oldest one I´ve seen, from 1986, not that much compared to other series you´ve all seen I must say.
Post by ssejllenrad (20 posts) See mini bio Level 5

Post by ComicMan24 (8,759 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Somes animes form the 70s. I don't really remember the dates now though.
Post by Mechanical_Ape (84 posts) See mini bio Level 8
The oldest I've seen would be Astro Boy. If you've never watched any Astro Boy before, you should. Even after all these years, it's still very entertaining.

Post by sickVisionz (4,220 posts) See mini bio Level 24
The oldest I've watched to completion would be Gundam 0080 from 1989.  The oldest that I've seen episodes of would either be Galaxy Express 999 or Speed Racer.
Post by wayintothe7thart (1,079 posts) See mini bio Level 9
So far, the oldest I've read is Tezuka's  "Apollo's Song", 1970.
Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19
I've seen some old series from the 70's and 80's but the oldest i've seen from begin to end is future boy conan
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Halberdierv2: FUCK YEAH, SPEED!!!
@ShadowKnight508: YOU... SUCK.
Post by ssjsuperman (1,661 posts) See mini bio Level 10
The oldest manga would be cyborg 009.

Oldest anime I think lupin the third.
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto said:
" @ShadowKnight508: YOU... SUCK."
You can't go criticising other people's cred without posting your own, bub. ;)
Post by sickVisionz (4,220 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@Godot said:
" @Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto said:
You can't go criticising other people's cred without posting your own, bub. ;) "
The concept of anime cred by itself deserves insulting.
@sickVisionz said:
" @Godot said:
You can't go criticising other people's cred without posting your own, bub. ;) "
The concept of anime cred by itself deserves insulting. "
Perhaps I should have put it in air quotes. I was more making fun of him for saying someone else's earliest anime sucked without contributing anything himself.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Godot said:
Okay, how about this- the oldest movie (AND I MEAN MOVIE) is the classic 1922 silent B&W picture Nosferatu. Try beating a nearly 90-year-old picture, buddy.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel