Remember how I said it was new anime announcement season? Here's the latest batch from the Tokyo Anime Fair:
- Ready for an earthquake? Good! Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, an anime about a huge earthquake hitting Tokyo-- an occurrence that has a 70% chance of happening in reality. A young girl named Mirai and her brother Yutaka head to the fake island of Odaiba only to have the earthquake hit, and together they have to try to get home.
- And then there's the new Space Cruiser Yamato anime project, which was originally announced back in August, but now we know that Tohokushinsha is producing it, and that it'll be set 21 years in the future-- and hero Susumu Kodai is still top dog, but now with a wife and kid.
- If you've been enjoying Toaru Majutsu no Index during its current run, the spinoff Toaru Kagaku no Railgun will be made into an anime in the near future as well. The series (which was already a manga spinoff as well) follows the level five psychic Mikoto Misaka and her doings in the student-filled Academic City.
- And a few kiddie cartoons: Rita et Machin, which actually slipped through my fingers last week, and Penelope Tete en Lair, which-- combined with the Yves Saint Laurent cartoon –makes three anime based on French books, which is kind of an interesting trend.
- Toei has a project tentatively titled Toei Robot Girls. There isn't much more information on it, but with a title like that, what more do you need to know? Toei is also doing a movie called Niji-Iro Hotaru ~Eien no Natsu Yasumi~, roughly Rainbow-colored Firefly ~Eternal Summer Vacation~. No other details available there.
- Finally, the young anime studio Lucent Pictures has announced that it's working with Masamune Shirow (of Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed fame).
Whew. Okay, what are you most excited about? What do you hate? Tell me! Tell meeee!