Official release or fansub, what do you go for?

Topic started by Endogene on Dec. 6, 2008. Last post by Endogene 5 years, 10 months ago.
Post by Endogene (65 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Since the official releases are almost always a couple of episodes/books behind the animes i watch and the mangas i read are exclusivly fansubs.
Post by liksang (7 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Living in the UK you have no real choice. Its fan sub all the way, thanks to stupid distributors and licensing everything is late.

If you get in to the routine of using one or two good subbers then you only have to wait for about a day or two, rather than a year or two. Growing up in the 80's and 90's we had hardly any new anime/manga. It was all ways the same stuff (dominion tank police, legend of the over fiend or crying freeman and there all shit.) So things have gotten better. but there are still loads of problems. I wasen't until i think 2006/7 that naruto and bleach got an offical releases, rather than indpendant shops importing from the US.     

Post by NoDeath (19 posts) See mini bio Level 6
liksang said:
"Living in the UK you have no real choice. Its fan sub all the way, thanks to stupid distributors and licensing everything is late.

If you get in to the routine of using one or two good subbers then you only have to wait for about a day or two, rather than a year or two. Growing up in the 80's and 90's we had hardly any new anime/manga. It was all ways the same stuff (dominion tank police, legend of the over fiend or crying freeman and there all shit.) So things have gotten better. but there are still loads of problems. I wasen't until i think 2006/7 that naruto and bleach got an offical releases, rather than indpendant shops importing from the US.     

"
Pretty much the exact same situation except I'm in Australia. We always get boned :(
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I don't download fansubs :/
Post by PureRok (58 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I watch fansubs but buy the DVDs/Books when/if I can. I imported Naruto before it became licensed in the US, and watching the fansubs of Claymore got me to buy the Shonen Jump Advanced manga.
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I watch some fansubs and then buy the dvds later or I hold out for the dvds or legal downloads. Depends on the series, my interest in it, if any license has been announced, and what the date is if it has been.
Post by YoYo (36 posts) See mini bio Level 2
fansubs, dont have any other choice here in UK :(
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I generally have to go for Fansubs, I read most of my manga at

http://www.onemanga.com

But they've shown themselves to be pretty trustworthy and accurate
Post by Zenaxzd (31 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I just go for whatever personally. As long as the fansubs are well done I am okay with that, however once I pick one I tend to stick with it.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I judge an anime based on watching it first either by fansubs or renting it on Netflix.

If I like it, then I go buy the dvds. If I don't, then I stop watching it or maybe finish it out. If it turns out awesome at the end, then I go buy the dvds.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I prefer fansubs
Post by MasturbatingBear (118 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I prefer official release. don't really know why. I suppose cause its official. If that even means anything to you.
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I always watch on Veoh its impossible to watch either fan subs or official subs without coming arcross the other on there.
so i do both^^

Post by brukaoru (16 posts) See mini bio Level 3
I've never watched a fansub. I guess I just prefer official releases, and watching it on my television versus a computer monitor. As far as manga goes, I have read a couple fansubbed doujinshis, simply because I would never be able to read them in their original language, or obtain it for myself.
brukaoru said:
"I've never watched a fansub. I guess I just prefer official releases, and watching it on my television versus a computer monitor. As far as manga goes, I have read a couple fansubbed doujinshis, simply because I would never be able to read them in their original language, or obtain it for myself."
Their is quite a difference in quality when seeing an anime on a TV versus a monitor, monitors are to "good", seeing them on a tv set add a kind of soft blur over it. I own some cables that hook up my PC to  a Standard TV, works great.
Post by brukaoru (16 posts) See mini bio Level 3
Endogene said:
"brukaoru said:
"I've never watched a fansub. I guess I just prefer official releases, and watching it on my television versus a computer monitor. As far as manga goes, I have read a couple fansubbed doujinshis, simply because I would never be able to read them in their original language, or obtain it for myself."
Their is quite a difference in quality when seeing an anime on a TV versus a monitor, monitors are to "good", seeing them on a tv set add a kind of soft blur over it. I own some cables that hook up my PC to  a Standard TV, works great."
I suppose that's correct. I guess I just feel more comfortable sitting on my couch and looking at my TV then leaning over my laptop. Just personal preference I suppose. The cable idea sounds good, thanks for the suggestion. :)
brukaoru said:
I suppose that's correct. I guess I just feel more comfortable sitting on my couch and looking at my TV then leaning over my laptop. Just personal preference I suppose. The cable idea sounds good, thanks for the suggestion. :)"
You do need a video card in your laptop with a special output plug but most laptops have them.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel