New to anime.

Topic started by ChristinaAV on Sept. 10, 2011. Last post by SilverGalford 2 years, 9 months ago.
Post by ChristinaAV (28 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Hey guys,

You probably get loads of these topics but I'll ask this anyway. I am pretty much new to anime, especially series and would like some recommendations. I don't like coming into things half way and getting confused so I would like something that is new(ish) or something that is really easy to catch up on. Also movie recommendations, these are what I have seen so far.

=D

Post by Rudeboy217 (17 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Post by Theresonlyone (91 posts) See mini bio Level 9

@ChristinaAV: Welcome to anime. What genres are you interested in? Gore, fanservice, slice or life, harem?

• Any Ghibli film
  • Voices of a Distant Star
  • Beyond the Clouds
  • Eve No Jikan.

@Theresonlyone: Thanks for the welcome. You have lost me already on those genres!! Haha. After researching what the heck you just asked me I'd probly have to just say slice of life. I don't think I'm into the more anime type of anime if you get what I mean? I'm probably not even making sense. I've watched a good bunch of Ghibli films and I LOVE those.

@rudeboy217: A lot of those are already on my rental list. Thanks! I just remembered that I have watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I totally cried all the way through the ending.

Post by DocHaus (925 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@ChristinaAV: Based on your list, I'll throw in one vote for Millenium Actress. Also, if you can deal with slightly darker real themes, look for Naoki Urusawa's stuff, Monster (manga/anime) and 20th Century Boys (manga only, but still worth it).
Post by takashichea (10,949 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@ChristinaAV said:

@Theresonlyone: Thanks for the welcome. You have lost me already on those genres!! Haha. After researching what the heck you just asked me I'd probly have to just say slice of life. I don't think I'm into the more anime type of anime if you get what I mean? I'm probably not even making sense. I've watched a good bunch of Ghibli films and I LOVE those.

@rudeboy217: A lot of those are already on my rental list. Thanks! I just remembered that I have watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I totally cried all the way through the ending.

I give you some examples that my buddy Auron570 watches, My Ordinary Life, Hanasaku Iroha, Amagami SS., Ikkoku Meirou Croisee (Wrong spelling but the link is correct).

I don't know much about these since I'm not a Slice of Life fan. Look these up and also read Auron570's blogs. He's pretty informative. Beware of spoilers.

I have one that my team is working on, Sket Dance.

It's a Slice of Life genre, and it is about the adventures of the Sket Dan, a club, who helps other students by requests. It's somewhat episodic but it's not. It's hilarious and random like Gintama, but it has some drama and sad stories especially the origins of the characters.

Setting: School and School Clubs in modern Japan.

Edit:

Anime has more fan service than its manga counterpart. Also, the anime scrambles the requests in a different order than the manga.

Post by Theresonlyone (91 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@ChristinaAV Here are my recommendations for slice of life. They are some of the best shows I've ever seen, they warm even my shrivelled gore addled heart. Watch them all.

Usagi Drop

Azumanga Daioh

Ano Hana

As for other stuff to watch I can't help but recommend the ol' reliable shows

Elfen Lied (watch the opening scene and see if you like it.)

Death Note
Post by AURON570 (551 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@takashichea: Dude you give me way too much credit. >.> But I appreciate it anyways.

@ChristinaAV
I'd like to add to the growing list of recommendations, Invasion! Squid Girl. It's a cute comedy series that finished airing last year, check it out (on crunchyroll.com)if you want something easy to watch. I wrote a review for it a while back. If you like it, then you'll want to check out it's second season, which starts airing in just over two weeks! (I am very excited for that). =)
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@ChristinaAV:
Slice-of-life anime are not my forte. I'm usually on the other end of the spectrum. But if I were to suggest some then I 'd go with Bakuman, Ouran High School Host Club, S.A., Toradora, Haruka Nogizaka's Secret, Ore no (abbreviated but right link), Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Angel Beats!, and Okamisan. Some of those are additions that aren't slice-of-life but are pretty good anyways (romance, comedy, drama, school life).

But welcome to Anime Vice, our slice of internet heaven! Check out the Watch & Learns and Beginner's Guides on the site to see if there is anything you might like. On that note, I wrote the Beginner's Guide to Ouran High School Host Club (one of the suggestions I made above) so if the show sounds interesting give it a look to find out more.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@ChristinaAV

I've seen a bit of the Slice-of-Life genre although my focus leans toward romantic comedies.  To begin with, you should seek out Aishiteruze Baby.  It's about a teenage boy who takes care of his 5 year-old cousin when she's abandoned by her mother.  I found it very heartwarming and also a bit melancholic.  A few others you will want to look into are:

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Minami-Ke (3 seasons + OVA) 
Hidamari Sketch (4 seasons + OVAs)
GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class
Sora no Manimani
Ichigo Mashimaro (aka Strawberry Marshmellow)
Kyou no Go no Ni

A-Channel was the last one I finished and if you liked Lucky Star it's a lot like that although without the excessive but witty dialogue.  Lucky Star's trick was that they'd spend half an episode talking about the proper way to eat a cream-filled pastry and A-Channel has some of that celebration of the mundane, but it lacks the commitment that LS took.  Still, I enjoyed it since I liked LS. 

Currently I am watching one called Binbou Shimai Monogatari which is about two orphaned sisters who are very poor and do odd jobs to survive.

For something that's not exactly Slice-of-Life but still "anime that's not too anime", I think you might like Arakawa Under the Bridge (2 seasons), Ghost Hunt, So Ra no Wo To and my personal all-time favorite show, School Rumble (2 seasons + OVAs).

Thanks everyone! I will start checking these out tomorrow =D

@PenguinDust: Thanks, do you have any romantic comedies suggestions too? I love those aswell.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@ChristinaAV:  Well, School Rumble is a romantic comedy so that would be my first suggestion.  It's about a school delinquent who falls for a perky girl who is in love with a bland quite guy who barely knows she exists.   The fun doesn't stop there as the series weaves a web of inter-romantic relationships between the large cast.  The first two seasons are 26 episodes each and the final is sadly just two OVAs that pretend to be a full season.  It's a bit of a let down, but it provides some needed closure just the same. 

After that, I'd second @sotyfan16's recommendations of Toradora and Kaichou no Maid-sama.  The former is about a very fiery but petite girl who learns to love a guy who looks mean but isn't.  It's one of the best romantic comedies ever.  The second half of the series is more serious though.  Maid-sama is one of the more recent one's I've seen.  It tells the story of a poor student body president who secretly works at a maid cafe to help out with her family's living expenses.  He father ran off leaving herself, her mother and younger sister to survive on their own.  A mysterious guy with a wry sense of humor is the male love interest. 

If you want something that's wacky and much more comedic, I'd suggest Seto no Hanayome (aka My Bride is a Mermaid).  In this tale, a normal high school boy accidentally gets engaged to a mermaid.  If that wasn't problematic enough, her father is head of the mermaid yakuza/mafia!  Another funny one is Baka to Test to Shokanjou (aka Idiots and Tests: Summon the Beast).  It's about a guy in the lowest level of education at his magic school and a girl what happens when a girl who should be in the super-advanced winds up in his class.  The second season is currently airing on Japanese TV.   If you don't mind something that's a little more perverse, you might take a look at B Gata H Kei.  The premise is a girl wants to have 100 sex partners but winds up having difficultly relating to just one potential interest.  The humor can be a bit lewd, but the story is really about the confusion of first love.   There's nothing obscene in it, too. 

A more traditional one I saw recently is Lovely Complex.  It's about a very tall girl who falls for a short boy.  They both have height issues and so their love is difficult.  I liked it a lot although I think it spent a tad too much time in indecision.  Still, a heartfelt show worth seeking out.  Another is Amagami SS, which is a series of short love stories in which one male character takes several different paths to love several different girls.  It's kind of like each girl's story is a separate timeline.  I'm half way through the show and I like it but shorter tales mean less time developing a connection to the characters in my opinion.   

Finally, two shows that aren't primarily romantic comedies but have a substantial amount of romance in them are Eureka Seven and Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water.  They're similar to each other in that they are about two young kids falling in love while on a crazy adventure aboard a large ship.  I really enjoyed them and E7 made me a bit misty at the end.  Be warned though, they might be more anime-ish than you're looking for.  Eureka has giant robots and Nadia is a steampunk story based off 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

I keep a constantly updated list of harem and romantic comedies I've seen here on the site.  I don't go into too much detail there, but I'm thinking of fleshing each out a bit more.  I didn't bother to suggest any harem-comedies here, but the ones I've enjoyed are listed there, too.  Harem and Romantic Comedies I've Enjoyed a Lot, Somewhat, and Just a Small Bit

EDIT:  Urusei Yatsura and Tenshi na Konamaiki (aka A Cheeky Angel) are two other favorites of mine, but I wasn't sure if I should mention them.  The former is a classic screwball rom-com from the early 1980's that might not appeal to modern tastes.  I really love it but I love old anime, so I might be unlike the average viewer.  The other one is a reverse harem, meaning it's about one girl pursued by several guys.  Even with that format, it's really about one guy and one girl...well, the girl might have been magically transformed from being a boy originally.  She's trying to find the genie that made her a girl so she can switch back, but love could find her before that.  The animation isn't too great in this one since it reflects the design from the manga, but I still really enjoyed the story.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@ChristinaAV:

There are some really good romantic comedies, and some of them you can watch on FUNimation's youtube channel or on HULU for free. One is My My Bride is a Mermaid and Okamisan.

One Piece is one of my favorite manga/anime series. Detective Conan is my all time favorite, but the US version was butchered. One Piece is having a really big event on October 1st this year that could be great for new anime fans. I wrote an article for the news page talking all about it. HERE

A movie I would highly recommend that has action, story, drama, and romance is Summer Wars. This is a link to a blog I wrote that has a trailer for Summer Wars and an official clip for the first three minutes of the film. HERE

I'm a mod on Anime Vice. Never feel shy about asking if you ever need help. I like to help out new users when possible.

@FoxxFireArt: I've actually watched Summer Wars, Tom wrote an article about it over on Screened a while ago and I watched it then. I really enjoyed it! I think that and Ghibli really got me into wanting to watch some more.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,695 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@ChristinaAV: I second the choices for Lovely Complex, Lucky Star and Ouran High School Host Club. 

If you want something more on the dark and serious side, then I recommend Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom and one of the newer series, Madoka Magica, but I suggest you go see the first two Pretty Cure series (the original and Max Heart) before Madoka Magica for familiarity within the Magical Girl genre even though Pretty Cure's not as dark as the former.
Post by PewPewLazers (15 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@ChristinaAV said:

@FoxxFireArt: I've actually watched Summer Wars, Tom wrote an article about it over on Screened a while ago and I watched it then. I really enjoyed it! I think that and Ghibli really got me into wanting to watch some more.

I feel the same, started out with Ghibli before gradually dipping in other things, mostly movies so far.

I would recommend 'Summer Wars' too, a really enjoyable and laid-back affair. Also 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' was included with my copy as a double-pack, as good as I thought SW was this was even better. I hate to double-dip in regards to films, but I might just take the plunge and get the Blu-Ray editions now!

@PewPewLazers: I loved The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I think that is one of my favourite anime movies and maybe even just in general. I cried all through the end of it!

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@ChristinaAV said:

@PewPewLazers: I loved The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I think that is one of my favourite anime movies and maybe even just in general. I cried all through the end of it!

+1. It's my favorite movie as well. Did you watch Summer Wars?

Post by PewPewLazers (15 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@ChristinaAV: @MohsinMan99: Ah great, I didn't realize that it had so much love on here.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel