Naruto - Masashi Kishimoto Vs One Piece - Eiichiro Oda

Topic started by One_Piece_God on Jan. 13, 2012. Last post by ridtom2 8 months, 2 weeks ago.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,171 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@sharingan_eyes:

There are dozens of other scenes he just run away or just didn't fight

Post by sharingan_eyes (330 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Destinyheroknight: True, perhaps I overstated the fact that he just solves problems with his fists (although the scenes where he doesn't fight are usually because he doesn't like getting involved in other's battles) but the other reasons I listed why I don't like him still stand firm to me.
Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@sharingan_eyes said:

@Haofan123: That one scene doesn't counter the dozens of times where he's just hit people because "he felt like it"

Look, im not arguing ith you and whatever series you prefer is none of my concern, but dismissing that scene is just plain stupid as i showed you that luffy isnt as one demensional as you thought but you just dont feel like accepting it.

Post by sharingan_eyes (330 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Haofan123: I didn't dismiss the scene, I accepted it, It just didn't impress me or sway my view on the character.

@sharingan_eyes:

although the scenes where he doesn't fight are usually because he doesn't like getting involved in other's battles

No, there also ones he promise not to fight or just don't find it necessary to fight (like with Bellamy), Luffy is the type of guy who punches and ask question later (but he do know when to fight or not to fight)

@sharingan_eyes:

Also Luffy isn't one dimensional, since he does change and learn from past mistakes.

Post by One_Piece_God (540 posts) See mini bio Level 8

Bump.

I wonder how people feel now?

Post by bigz007 (1,088 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I think Oda is on a whole different level as a mangaka.

Kishimoto is using a lot of different manga as an inspiration for his work, i.e. Hunter x Hunter (Kishimoto admitted that for a fact), and Read or Die (you can see a lot of similarities also).

Post by SpeedForceSpider (4,816 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Naruto for me even though it's been silly lately. I just can't get into One Piece anymore, I don't really like Luffy and the plot is meh.

But, I feel Hunter X Hunter and Magi is above One Piece at the moment

While, I feel Naruto is losing it edge

Post by takashichea (10,935 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Dropped Naruto (after Pain arc) and Bleach (after Aizen was defeated) a long time ago. I'm actually starting to get in the One Piece bandwagon since June 2012.

I say Naruto for me since I'm not so attached to One Piece's characters than Naruto's at this moment.

Post by SpectroRaphael (45 posts) See mini bio Level 8

One Piece.

For emotional moments, nothing comes close to Nami's, Robin's & Chopper's pasts. Brook's past is awful too, but in more of a conceptual understanding (People can't handle being alone for a year, then multiply that by 50!!!) Also, the amount of touching moments dispersed throughout the series are truly great, and involve more characters than just the main ones (Bon Clay's sacrifice for example). Robin's past and the Nina fiasco in FMA are the only moments in anime that have brought me so close to tears. (And people think Clannad is sad -_-)

Oda also manages to make it more comedic, which is huge in my books. People love different genres, and it seems that comedy is the biggest one (though the most subjective also).

In terms of actual storytelling, no other author has impressed me nearly as much as Oda with his planning. It seems that he thinks of everything ahead of time; no small point or issue gets forgotten with him. He is easily the king of foreshadowing in all anime i've seen, not just Naruto. It seems that Kishimoto didn't plan well enough ahead, and probably hasn't even decided how to end his series.

Everyone already noted Oda's world-building, so i'll leave that alone.

All in all, though they are both great writers, i think Kishimoto's downfall is in his neglecting to plan out his entire series ahead of time. Oda was made to add more elements to his story to make it last more years, yet it still flows and appears to be all planned out (just like Aizen).

On a side note, not to bash Naruto, but i am yet to see anyone give any real qualitative reason why they don't think One Piece is great. It always comes down to the same old, same old art style or subjective comedy. Why are so many Americans so hung up on something as superficial as how the series is drawn? The plot, characters and intrigue are what truly matter!

Post by One_Piece_God (540 posts) See mini bio Level 8

@SpectroRaphael said:

On a side note, not to bash Naruto, but i am yet to see anyone give any real qualitative reason why they don't think One Piece is great. It always comes down to the same old, same old art style or subjective comedy. Why are so many Americans so hung up on something as superficial as how the series is drawn? The plot, characters and intrigue are what truly matter!

I have always thought about this too.

Post by Kobra678 (2,925 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Online Now

I'll go with Naruto as of now, mainly because i don't read the manga and only watch the anime.

Post by 5th (1,195 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Personally, Oda would win in terms of illustrating OP and creating a good plot albeit he does get sidetracked sometimes (to me) and has a tough time letting go with characters.

Emotionally, I think Naruto would take this hands down, there's so much sentiment and sad moments in the series, it's not even funny. Itachi actually being a good guy who just wanted to protect his little brother, Yahiko sacrificing himself for his friend's sake and Nagato's uproar, Hinata oh most dying, Jirayia's death (ruined my day and nearly my month.), Haku and Zabuza's death, Obito sacrificing himself to save Kakashi, Kisame's suicide (surprised me), and so much more in my opinion. I just think Naruto has more of an emotional impact than OP does but that's me.

Post by bigz007 (1,088 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Naruto is the best they said...

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,030 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I like Naruto better. After a while, the over the top designs on everything in OP become a bit vexing to my eyes. And the plot goes off on a tangent at the drop of a hat. I mean, I took a break for a while, came back, and couldn't even tell if they even wanted the One Piece anymore.

Plus, I grew up on Naruto so I feel for all the characters a bit more. Aside from the actually extremely emotional moments that pleasantly surprise me from time to time. Like I seriously didn't see myself feeling bummed that Hayate Gecko died, but yet I did.

Post by waybig1010101 (2,455 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@bigz007 said:

Naruto is the best they said...

this guy needs to relax a little bit 

@bigz007:

....One piece isn't original either (well, a lot of things ain't). You can't really knock a series for it

Also, both Naruto and One Piece are both good

Post by SpeedForceSpider (4,816 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@UltimateHero0406 said:

And the plot goes off on a tangent at the drop of a hat. I mean, I took a break for a while, came back, and couldn't even tell if they even wanted the One Piece anymore.

I thought the exact same thing. I also took a break and came back with the same mindset.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel