Naruto - Masashi Kishimoto Vs One Piece - Eiichiro Oda

Topic started by One_Piece_God on Jan. 13, 2012. Last post by ridtom2 1 year, 1 month ago.
Post by One_Piece_God (569 posts) See mini bio Level 8

In terms of the better manga series.

The manga that gets you to empahize or sympahize or both.

The manga which summons deep emotions whilst reading.

Generally the better writer, anything from eithers plot/storyline.

Who generally deserves the crown of the current 'Best Author Of Manga'.

No fanboys please, give genuine reasons why you believe one is more superior than the other or you can give a case for both.

Post by t3h_bash (53 posts) See mini bio Level 7

One Piece in a stomp.

The only comfort Naruto has is that it's not as bad as Bleach.

Admittedly, Bleach was awesome at the start.

Post by Kurohige (3,755 posts) See mini bio Level 19

The manga that gets you to empahize or sympahize or both: Honestly it's a tie, Naruto for the most part has more realistic situations and goals to sympathize with, I mean Naruto had no friends, was alone and wanted to be the best in his village and worked hard to gradually get better. With One Piece, Luffy has morals and values that can be sympathized with and characters like Ussop you can really get to sympathize with. But all in all if I had to choose one I would say Naruto considering the whole under dog thing was a big part of it.

The manga which summons deep emotions whilst reading: One Piece, Naruo has sad moments but that only comes from flashbacks and such, the only thing in Naruo that really brought emotion to me was way back pre-shipuuden, and that was the Choji fight with Jirobu, and Naruto and Sasuke's fight, it almost had me when Hinata supposedly died, but she was soon okay, and then we never dwell on her admitting her love for Naruto again. One Piece however, had many emotional moments that made me get emotional too, both happy and sad, Ussop vs Luffy and the aftermath and the reunion too, Luffy vs Lucci and rescuing Robin, Luffy taking down Arlong and saving Nami, the funeral of the Going Merry, Whitebeard's death, the list goes on. So I believe Oda does a better job summoning emotion from me.

Generally the better writer, anything from eithers plot/storyline: Eiichiro Oda, while both Naruto and One Piece both have similar plots (Both main characters wanting to be the best there is be it Hokage or King of the pirates.) One Piece is more consistent with what it is. Naruto is supposed to be the best "Ninja" but hardly has any kinda of ninja-like qualities, in fact barley anybody in Naruto does, he doesn't even have moments of leadership and has not really shown much improvement in himself, I think when Oda writes One Piece as crazy as it is, you get the feeling that they are pirates, they act like pirates and do things a pirate does (Go to islands and other ships, steal treasure ect) while Naruto the only thing I believe is ninja-like is their weapons. Also, in terms of getting a point across or plot twist I would also give it to One Piece, One piece time and time again gives a big wow factor when they reveal a secret, while Naruto's only wow factor that was worth noting for me was the summoning of Madara Uchiha. Also One Piece tends to not forget about their characters no matter how minor, some Naruto characters (Anko, Genma, Hayate, Yugou, Baki, Mizuki, the sound 4, and more) were hardly mentioned of shown for a long while, yes Hayate is dead but he had a somewhat important death yet no one cares, One Piece everyone shows up again. I guess I just like the story telling and pacing of One Piece better. Currently Naruto is on a roll though.

Who generally deserves the crown of the current 'Best Author Of Manga': Well if it is just between the two I say One Piece, the characters, the plot, and yes even the art are superb to me, and are more appealing than Kishimoto, no doubting though that both are amazing author's of their respective manga, I have just been around One Piece more. But Kishimoto is no doubt a man that deserves respect in the industry for his work.

Post by sceonn (757 posts) See mini bio Level 9

I feel One Piece is generally better overall. Simple, emotional, rational, comedic, well-paced, adventuristic and fantasy. Naruto on the other hand while also a good manga, is complicated yet with too many unnecessary plots and too little true development, both in characters and story...

My 2 cents~

Post by The Stegman (154 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I completely understand why People would like One Piece more, it's a fantastic manga, but for me, Naruto is just more enjoyable. I'm more of a fan of serious anime/manga types, and Naruto just seems more serious, both have comedic elements, but One Piece can get a bit carried away with them, I especially dislike the Goku-esqe Luffy, the super happy, dim to the point of being naive always happy go lucky until his friends are in danger, then he gets serious, super eater. I mean no one acts like that in real life, hate those character archetypes.  At least Uzumaki acts closer to how a 12, then later in Shippudden, 16, year old kid would act. 
Post by ohgodwhy (1,593 posts) See mini bio Level 12

One Piece wins this hands down. The whole rescue Ace arc was far better than anything Naruto has ever provided. The emotions when Whitebeard took all his pirate crew to fight the World Government were amazing, really the greatest moment in manga history for me. Then when Ace died and Whitebeard became totally pissed off at the loss of his son. For me that was just a defining moment of how the pirates treated each other as family more than just friends.

There's never been a moment in Naruto that has evoked any kind of emotion from me. The Sasuke vs Itachi was pretty good but still not as good as the Whitebeard arc.

Also the scale of One Piece far exceeds that of Naruto. There's so much history that has yet to be shown, so many characters that have yet to be revealed. With Naruto I'm pretty sure we've gone as far as we can, I don't really see much more that needs to be revealed in order for the story to end.

It's like a post I once read on another forum. "One Piece isn't just a manga, it's a religion."

Post by taichokage (15,268 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
One Piece in every category for me, not that Naruto is bad.
Post by GIRUGAMESH (2,230 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I say Naruto, mainly because I find it more enjoyable and I prefer the art style. Something about Oda's style that I really don't like; maybe the wackiness of the characters? Just too exaggerated for my liking.

Anywho, shouldn't this be in the manga section?

Post by tronboy (425 posts) See mini bio Level 9

i give this to naruto its much more emotional then one piece because asuma hiruzen zabuza haku konan where very said deaths plus the death of itachi made my mom cry its better written then one piece and i hate the animation and its to goofy and naruto is much more realistic

Post by The Stegman (154 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@ohgodwhy:  

One Piece wins this hands down. The whole rescue Ace arc was far better than anything Naruto has ever provided. The emotions when Whitebeard took all his pirate crew to fight the World Government were amazing, really the greatest moment in manga history for me. Then when Ace died and Whitebeard became totally pissed off at the loss of his son. For me that was just a defining moment of how the pirates treated each other as family more than just friends.

There's never been a moment in Naruto that has evoked any kind of emotion from me. The Sasuke vs Itachi was pretty good but still not as good as the Whitebeard arc. 

Jiraya's death really got a strong reaction outta me, But in my opinion, the single greatest emotional moment in Naruto was the flashback that showed Minato and Kushina's last moments together sacrificing themselves to save the village and giving Naruto their blessings, that nearly got a tear from me.  

Also the scale of One Piece far exceeds that of Naruto. There's so much history that has yet to be shown, so many characters that have yet to be revealed. With Naruto I'm pretty sure we've gone as far as we can, I don't really see much more that needs to be revealed in order for the story to end.

I also think Naruto has built up such a large diverse world, that it could continue for years, many of the characters themselves are strong enough to support a solo series/spinoff, I'd love to see a Kakashi series, or maybe Jiraya could pull one off.  that and many of the other village's histories and characters haven't been explored too much, a series could be based in the Sand village, Rain village, Mist village, any of them really.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,386 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I say One Piece is the better Manga

Oda-sensei build his world very well and I feel his side characters are more flesh out then Kishimoto-sensei side characters. (Also One Piece don't have a character I want to kill with a rusty knife)

Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Destinyheroknight said:

(Also One Piece don't have a character I want to kill with a rusty knife)

I disagree with that in a good way. The way Oda writes the villains*cough* akainu *cough* are so good they make me want to do just that, which they should considering who they are and what their purpose is

no i believe it goes to naruto

One Piece wins every catagory IMO.To me, One peice is like a fine wine. It just gets better with age

@Haofan123:

Well, Akainu was doing his job (but I was talking about someone on the good side)

naruto has been getting better with age as well wright now kabuto just revealed that he mastered sage mode

@tronboy:

You know this base on opinion

@Destinyheroknight said:

@Haofan123:

Well, Akainu was doing his job (but I was talking about someone on the good side)

Yeah, but in doing so oda achieved what he wanted to happen and that was having the fanbase hating him and looking forward to years in the future where luffy may finally get the chance to beat him down. And wouldnt the good side technically be the bad side or at least anti heros considering the fact that despite all the good they do they're still pirates who are viewed as morally wrong individuals in the eyes of thier justice system?

Post by One_Piece_God (569 posts) See mini bio Level 8

@tronboy said:

naruto has been getting better with age as well wright now kabuto just revealed that he mastered sage mode

Am I the only person on vice that thinks the recent Naruto chapter was crap

@One_Piece_God said:

@tronboy said:

Am I the only person on vice that thinks the recent Naruto chapter was crap

I sort of do to. Itachi and sasuke finally team up and it should be epic, but instead kishi uses troll no jutsu and spends the entire chapter explaining trivial things

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel