My March's Screened and Anime Vice Memorial Projects

Topic started by takashichea on March 6, 2014. Last post by Dream 6 months, 1 week ago.
Post by takashichea (12,290 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I'm still at school. Don't know why I haven't log off and head home, so I have peace of mind and focus on helping Screened and Anime Vice.

There are so much things going on in our two communities.

These are my goals for the two communities.

• Saving Etragedy's Reviews on Gdoc Djames completed a different Gdoc list that went the opposite way.
  • Saving wiki work on Gdoc and helping any Screened users with their reviews and wiki.
  • Helping Mike20 with his new Wikia, To Hollywood and Beyond. It's Screened's 2nd home for wiki editors who cannot find a community to transfer their wiki work
  • Writing the Best Fan Fic Writers of 2013 for Anime Vice Finished! See Anime Vice's Best Fan Fic Writers of 2013
  • Publishing the Screened Yearbook blog Finished! See Screened Yearbook (April 2010 - March 14, 2014)
  • Sending Tom the Anime Vice RoundTable guides for Guilty Crown and Sket Dance
  • Working on Toriko Wiki Project and other misc wiki projects
  • Publishing the Top Wiki Editors of 2013 for Anime Vice and Screened
Post by Stevemagegod (26 posts) See mini bio Level 11

RIP Screened. So much time and effort is wasted.

Post by bigz007 (1,091 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: Why is Screened being cancelled? ...and is there a same fate waiting for AV?

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@bigz007: BermanBraun announced that they've restructured the company and renamed it Whalerock Industries. On the same day, they announced Screened is shutting down, so it appears to be part of this restructuring. It's also probably no coincidence that the company recently bought a much bigger TV/movie site (http://www.moviefone.com/) and it probably makes sense to shut Screened down from a business standpoint.

Anime Vice may get shut down one day, just like any other website, but not right now. I spoke to Tom and he hasn't been told to announce anything about Anime Vice, so I wouldn't worry about it. All the evidence points to Screened being a victim of circumstance. That's just how the business world is sometimes unfortunately.

@bigz007:

Daniel beat me to it. He explains way better than me since he understands the situation between the two sites better than me. I suggest saving your work on Word or Gdoc from now on. I'm starting to do that for my teammates and myself. I had receive PMs from concerned wiki editors. I honestly told them to save their work because there hasn't been enough info regarding Anime Vice's fate. I can't really say if this site will close or not.

Post by Vapovile (1,976 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I too feel a bit worried about AV having a similar fate, but as Daniel has stated, it appears that Screened was just too small of a website compared to their newly bought Moviefone. What I kind of find to be the difference here is that Anime is a more niche market compared to movies, and AV is one of the largest sites dedicated to anime and wiki. So it might be a bit harder to get rid of us, but I have seen crazier things happen before. Is there any chance we can get a Vice Pit episode dedicated to Tom's thoughts on the situation, since he is closer to the company that runs AV than we are.

@Daniel_Newton: @Vapovile:

I checked that Moviefone site. It had a lot of video coverage and reviews on movies and film industry. I do see why they shut down Screened. For Anime Vice, I was trying to find other sites that does coverage of anime. I don't think MyAnimeList, Crunchyroll, Anime News Network are not Anime Vice's competitors because these sites fulfill a different need.

• MyAnimeList - is a mix of discussion threads, reviews, and a bit of encyclopedia like ANN. No wiki in it.
  • ANN - Anime industry news oriented. Makes money from ads and folks who buy anime from their ads or links through the links they post on their weekly manga and anime releases. Has some forum element, but I can't tell if it's significant element for the site's survival. It's more of an add-on.
  • FandomPost - Ran by Chris Beveridge and his staff. It's like ANN with a more emphasis on forums. I frequent the site for DVD and BD covers a lot because they're hi res. It's my main source in addition to Amazon. Doesn't have wiki or encyclopedia.
  • Crunchyroll - has an active forum. Main revenue comes from streaming anime legally. They stream manga as of last last year.

Don't know what I'm thinking.

Screened was like Anime Vice for movies, and it was a unique TV and movie oriented community. No other community had a wiki, forum, and review elements. Yet, they shut it down in favor of Moviefone that doesn't have a forum or wiki.

Didn't mean to drag this off-topic. Our energy is better spent in making more blogs, threads, wiki, comments, and reviews.

Post by bigz007 (1,091 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: @Daniel_Newton:

So I went to http://website.informer.com and found this info on AnimeVice.com

Created:2007-02-22
Expires:2014-02-22
Hosting company:Amazon.com, Inc.
Registrar:GODADDY.COM, LLC

I have no idea what that means though...

Post by Vapovile (1,976 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@bigz007: ...wut? So AV should have expired on February 22 of this year? I think that just means that they have renewed our site's domain, so we have more time. Though I don't know...

@bigz007: @Vapovile:

To be honest, I don't know. I did remember you brought this up, Bigz007. I didn't know the answers at the time. Don't worry, just keep on working and enjoy your time in this community.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Vapovile said:

Is there any chance we can get a Vice Pit episode dedicated to Tom's thoughts on the situation, since he is closer to the company that runs AV than we are.

As far as Tom knows the company aren't planning anything for Anime Vice right now one way or the other. If they were going to close down AV around the same time as Screened, I'm sure he'd have been told something by now. I imagine they would have announced it at the same time, but they haven't, so I wouldn't worry about it for now. Like you said, anime and manga is a much more niche market and Anime Vice does pretty well for itself.

@takashichea: MAL totally has a wiki, it's just not as extensive as ours. They have pages for series, characters, and people, but I don't think they have anything else.

@bigz007: Clearly the site hasn't expired in any way, so I wouldn't worry. Plus, I just looked at their Screened page, and it says it was created in 1998 and expires in 2015... so I wouldn't put too much stock in their information.

I finished a few projects. All I have left are the Round Table Discussions, the Top Wiki Editors Blog, and the Toriko recognition blog.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,910 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@takashichea: Me and are re-vamping the Master Genre List to include the descriptions I made back in Screened, except that they will be re-done for this site. (I PMed those to her and myself so I won't lose my hard work.)

@Bigheart711:

That's great! I was thinking of ways to save your wiki pages since we couldn't transfer the anime concept page to Anime Vice. This would be a great idea, and it will get folks recommendations if they take the genre point.

Post by Aleasha (1,430 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@Bigheart711: and I will save it as well!

Post by Dream (7,617 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@takashichea: Being part of ANN myself, the forum functions more as a feature to the site for members to discuss happenings with anime and manga. While it's a good place to chat about latest news happenings in the anime/ manga industry and any latest developments with an anime or manga series, the forum environment is fairly strict with requiring proper spelling/ grammar, elaborating on reasons you would have for posting something in a topic and forbidding certain types of threads. It's a good site for serious discussions on elements of anime/ manga fandom and the industry, but I wouldn't consider membership there if you're just looking for a forum to chill out in and strike up casual conversation.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel