Monday is Listurday! 12/29/08

Topic started by gia on Dec. 29, 2008. Last post by Devilly 5 years, 11 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Well, the day is almost done (as is my trip in Atlanta-- I'm leaving tomorrow evening), but there's still listing to be had! Let's get to it.

U.S.

Strawberry Panic-- #5 best yuri manga of '08!
Strawberry Panic-- #5 best yuri manga of '08!
  • Let's open up with something a little bit different: the Top Ten Yuri Manga of 2008, courtesy of Erica Friedman at Okazu.
  • Moving along to the usual suspects...man, it's been a while since we've seen a manga in the USA Today booklist. When's the next Naruto coming out again?
  • And I'll cut this short with Anime on DVD's follow-up to the five things US anime companies did wrong this year-- the five things they did right in '08.

Japan

• Japan's box office stats haven't updated as of this writing, so I'm afraid I can't give you the weekend update on that one just yet. I'll make a separate post for it, I guess!
    Ponyo
    Ponyo
  • Mostly minimal shifting on the top singles and album charts, but it's worth noting that the Bleach Best Tunes CD hit #4 on Oricon's chart after it's December 17 release. Studio Ghibli no Uta, a best-of two-CD collection featuring tunes from a variety of Ghibli films (including the most recent, Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea), also sneaked into the 10 spot.
  • In DVDs, the premium edition of Hana Yori Dango Final (the recent live-action film) was the second-best-selling for the week, with Kara no Kyoukai's first film in third.
  • And I'll end this by noting that absolutely nothing interesting happened on the top anime ranking, i.e. Sazae-san, Chibi Marukko-chan, Crayon Shin-chan, etc. are all tops.
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Yummy yuri manga I should get my hands on some of that next year. I'm going to try to check out some of the english yuri manga but would you recommend any yuri manga personally that you've read?
Post by Ruby_Alexandrine (78 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I enjoy reading yuri mangas as well.  I have Chirality by Satoshi Urushihara in English which was published by CPM back in the mid-nineties.  I am wondering if it will get re-licensed again and published in the traditional right-to-left format.  The edition I have is the standard American comic book format tradepaperback.  Yes, I thought it was annoying to publish mangas in monthly standard American comic book format!
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Iiiii remember Chirality. What a weird manga XD

Void_Wizard: Personally? You can't go wrong with Maka-Maka if you want something explicit; it's just a beautifully done manga. It's a bit more expensive than standard but well worth it for all the production value bonuses and goodies XD

As for something a little more standard, Kashimashi is a fun series.
Post by yuricon (13 posts) See mini bio Level 1
For fans of English Yuri manga and anime, Yuricon has the largest Yuri-related shop on the Internet. Check out the Shop page at http://www.yuricon.org/shop.

My suggestions for 2008 are, as you saw, Maka-Maka for adult, Hayate x Blade for action, S.S. Astro for 4-koma, Kashimashi ~ Girl Meets Girl for the most excellent reproduction I've ever seen and a story that didn't suck entirely, and the Strawberry Panic manga and light novels for a good laugh. Going into 2009, I will shamelessly suggest you pre-order "Yuri Monogatari 6" the newest Yuri anthology from ALC Publishing. :-)

Cheers,

Erica

Hungry for Yuri? Have soem Okazu!
http://okazu.blogspot.com

ALC Publishing - where the girl always gets the girl
http://www.anilesbocon.org/shop/alcp.html
Post by Sonata (35,638 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I'll definitely check those out!!:)
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Yuri woooooooooooooooooooot!!!!!!!! :D
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel