Fast times at Listurday High tonight! Here's the numbers you need:
- The good news? Naruto broke the top 100 on the USA Today top 150 list-- he's #68 with his 33 volume now. The bad news?No other manga made the cut at all.
- I'm tentatively adding a new weekly list to the USA docket: best-selling anime DVDs on Amazon.com. Unfortunately the list updates hourly, so I'll have to try and be more consistent about what time I post this, and you'll have to take it with a half-grain of salt...though some of these titles fall into that “are they really anime?” gray area, so you'll have to do that anyway. The top five this week (as of 10pm PST) are Resident Evil: Degeneration, Ghost in the Shell: Innocence, both on Blu-Ray; Avatar's Complete Book 3 collection, Ouran High School Host Club: Season One, Part Two, and Spirited Away. (Okay, #5 was actually Boondocks: Complete Second Season, but I can't figure out why that's being considered anime at all...)
- Aaaand the final list for the US isn't really that much of a list, but it's awesome anyway. Over at Flipped, David Welsh got manga industry insiders to list their favorite titles-- from their own employers and from others. It's well worth the read.
- CinemaNavi hasn't updated its film rankings since last week, so I'm afraid you'll have to do without for now. I'll keep an eye on it and if anything major happens I'll let you know then.
- Back over at Oricon, Japan's top single this week is Kumi Koda's “stay with me,” bumping Ayumi Hamasaki's “Days/GREEN” off her top spot. Also on the top singles chart? Sheryl Nome (from Macross F, voiced by Aya Endo and sung by May'n) at #7 with “Sheryl no Uchuu Kyoudai Fune” (roughly “Sheryl's Universal Brotherhood Ship”), followed by “Ranka to Bobby no SMS Shoutai Uta” (“Ranka and Bobby's SMS Platoon Song”), featuring Ranka Li (voiced and sung by Megumi Nakajima). Go Macross girls, go!
- Nothing new anime-related on the albums list, so we'll move on to the top TV anime ranking...the usual five take the top spots, but shounen shows did well in the bottom half: Gundam 00's December 28 episode hit 5.2%, and Bleach's 200 episode (on December 23) took 4.6%, leaving them in 7 and 9 place respectively.
- And finally, the manga ranking! Fullmetal Alchemist's 21 volume moved up into the top spot, while new releases made up the entire rest of the top ten list. In order: Moyashimon #7, High School Debut #13, Initial D #38, Oooku #4, Mobile Suit Gundam THE ORIGIN 18, Team Medical Dragon #19, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai: Minagoroshihen #1, and Clover #21 (by Toriko Chiya, not CLAMP's).
Whew. I'm all listed out now.