Moderators' Weekly Anime Vice Articles

Topic started by sora_thekey on Jan. 25, 2012. Last post by ShadowKnight508 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by Cloudenvy (9 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@sickVisionz said:

@Cloudenvy said:

(1) Let's see what you could do..Instead of episodic blogging about Nisemonogatari one could for example study and explain all the in-jokes and references to Japanese media and products that's hidden in there. You could also do that with Bakemonogatari or Zetsubou Sensei if you so wished.

(2) One could compile all the shows airing and make a list on who's subbing them and thereafter rate them so you know where and who to get your subs from.

Stuff like that, all do-able with second hand info.

1) I'm covering Nisemonogatari and I can tell you that the level of awareness of Japanese pop culture to notice these things is a level of knowledge that I don't have and the amount of time and research required to study and explain them is more than I'm willing to put forth considering that I have a job and don't get paid for anything done on the site.

2) We already do that for legally streaming shows. If you're talking about creating a list of fansubbers and pointing people to where they should pirate their anime from, AV is strictly against piracy or support/endorsing sites and organizations that are engaged in it.

Well, that's too bad.

The sad truth is that legally streaming shows simply isn't a good enough solution right now for a lot of us, and they don't support a very large number of countries.

But that wasn't the point, my point was basically that I think this site's userbase is so small because you don't do enough unique features like that.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Moderator

@Cloudenvy said:

Let's see what you could do..Instead of episodic blogging about Nisemonogatari one could for example study and explain all the in-jokes and references to Japanese media and products that's hidden in there. You could also do that with Bakemonogatari or Zetsubou Sensei if you so wished.

That's a little much to ask, especially when most people just want to read about/talk about the actual episode. If you want to talk about that stuff though, by all means do so it the comments. I'm sure some people would find that interesting. Remember, these articles are there so people can talk about the show, not just read about it.

@Cloudenvy said:

One could compile all the shows airing and make a list on who's subbing them and thereafter rate them so you know where and who to get your subs from.

We have a list of legal streams here. We don't promote fansubs on this site though, so that's a no-go. We do our best to support the anime industry.

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Online Now
Moderator

@Cloudenvy said:

my point was basically that I think this site's userbase is so small because you don't do enough unique features like that.

I think the site could use more Screened/Comic Vine/Tested type of editorial that isn't news or reviews, but talking about different aspects or interest stories from the mediums/genres/industries they cover. That stuff takes a lot of time and most of the people making articles right now either aren't paid staff or only do review content. Additionally, there seems to be a strict article length policy that would make a real discussion of things like that impossible. On top of that, even if someone in the community made something that was quality and along those lines, we're not allowed to spotlight it outside of a once a week community round up post.

Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Moderator

@sickVisionz said:

@Cloudenvy said:

my point was basically that I think this site's userbase is so small because you don't do enough unique features like that.

I think the site could use more Screened/Comic Vine/Tested type of editorial that isn't news or reviews, but talking about different aspects or interest stories from the mediums/genres/industries they cover. That stuff takes a lot of time and most of the people making articles right now either aren't paid staff or only do review content. Additionally, there seems to be a strict article length policy that would make a real discussion of things like that impossible. On top of that, even if someone in the community made something that was quality and along those lines, we're not allowed to spotlight it outside of a once a week community round up post.

I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by Unique Features. Giant Bomb, Screened and Comic Vine write reviews for the vast majority of their respective products that are released on a regular basis. We are writing a type of review for our "respective product" that is [legally] released on a weekly basis. Comic Vine sometimes does issue studies where they break down an issue. Tested and Giant Bomb do the same by testing the product on videos. What do you suggest we do that falls under the Unique Feature status and does not involve illegal anime streaming?

@Newten said:

@Cloudenvy said:

One could compile all the shows airing and make a list on who's subbing them and thereafter rate them so you know where and who to get your subs from.

We have a list of legal streams here. We don't promote fansubs on this site though, so that's a no-go. We do our best to support the anime industry.

Most of the anime that is legally streamed is accesible by an international audience on CrunchyRoll. Believe me, I know! I'm in Mexico and I watch tons of anime.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Moderator

@sickVisionz said:

On top of that, even if someone in the community made something that was quality and along those lines, we're not allowed to spotlight it outside of a once a week community round up post.

That's not true, we also have the community section on the homepage for that stuff too. We just have to tell Perry to put stuff there, that's all.

Post by Cloudenvy (9 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@sora_thekey: Sadly Crunchyroll doesn't offer anime here and a lot of their translation work can be REALLY hit or miss, especially on Nisemonogatari.

I don't get what you don't get when I say "unique features" something out of the ordinary that actually makes me want to visit this site, I already gave an example but apparently that's too much work.

I guess I should leave instead of complain, the site is entirely community run so they can't do interesting stuff since it takes up too much time, but doing generic anime blogs aren't gathering new people to the site..it's a lose-lose situation I suppose.

EDIT: As SickVisionz said, even just some straight up editorial content that isn't news or reviews or episodic blogs would be a breath of fresh air.

Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Moderator

@Cloudenvy: Okay, I get it. Anime, being a Japanese property, is very hard for international viewers like ourselves to support the industry they way it is offered. We should just make the best of it with what we do have... Anime Vice, being a US website, should only support the anime industry the legal way it is allowed. Anything that goes up on that front page should enforce the legal manner to support the anime industry.

Do you have any more ideas other than the ones you already gave us?

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Moderator

I've moved Weekly Ponies to Tuesday (they've been going up on Tuesdays so far anyway) because I believe that's the day episodes go up on iTunes, and until they hit iTunes I don't have a "clean" source for screen caps.

Also pinned the thread to all boards so users won't miss it.

Post by takashichea (12,366 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now
Moderator

A little off-tangent point: My teammates do more than just weekly reports and wiki work. Occasionally, we do news from AnimeNewsNetwork, Crunchyroll, and such for our anime projects. Despite the whole site community driven without a staff and the lack of news coverage, it's not a lose-lose situation. The community is improving and more people get involved.

As for weekly query, the ideas just weren't coming for me. I just jot down whatever inspirations hit me.

Random Ideas for Weekly Query:

  • Anime during the 1990's, 80's - I seen a lot of nostalgic blogs from fans in this community. I'm not sure about the question for the topic. Maybe, you could ask the community what was the best, worst, most nostaglic, most surprising and such..
  • American Animation vs Japanese Animation - Which is better? How are the two worlds blending with each other?
  • Comic Books and Manga - We had a poll on that subject about preferences. We could talk about how manga artists are inspired by comic book artists and vice versa. There's a lot of them. Pick a few famous ones and let the community share their favorite mangaka and comic book artists.
  • Pokemon Craze and Clones - This might be controversial because fans might get upset. I thought about sharing thoughts on similarites between franchises that have monsters and games like Digimon, Monster Rancher, Yugioh, and maybe BeyBlade.
  • Celebrities vs the Japanese Idols - I remember reading an article about how American, Japanese, and other cultures have different values on their celebrities. For the U.S., female celebrities tend to be older than their Japanese counterpart and their life styles and product promotions are different.
  • Visual Novels - ...
  • Animes based on western animations or crappy live action movies based on anime series = I got the feeling that we got a few threads based on this. It's too old.
  • Definition of Anime Geek Nation in all cultures - I remember an article how the gamer otaku in Japan is very different from the American gamer. For the questions, what do you think the definition of "geek" in your hometown, country, or microcosm. What are the norms and taboos of being nerdy in your hometown? We could get some life stories from the community.

Yup, that's all I have.

Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Moderator

Added a new section to the opening post so that you can have an easy access to the articles we write:

Winter Watch Anotology

Keep up with our articles:

Post by takashichea (12,366 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now
Moderator

@sora_thekey:

That reminds to do one for my team's weekly reports: Sket Dance, Beelzebub, Fairy Tail, and Blue Exorcist.

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Moderator

Starting in May (after my college semester ends), I could bring by my once-successful Anime Figure Preview/Review feature that I used to do in early 2011. I could crank one out every Thursday or Friday that previews 2 figures and has a review for one.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel