Memorial Day: Recommend War Themed Anime Series

Topic started by takashichea on May 26, 2014. Last post by takashichea 3 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by takashichea (12,263 posts) See mini bio Level 25

While the site is glitching and I'm uploading RC images and editing minor Spring 2014 shows, I'll kill some time to promote anime/manga series that are centered in War.

I start us off with Grave of the Fireflies because I watched during Aleasha's Movie Picks! (Movie Night) with Dream, Vapovile, Acura Max, and the others. It was a really sad movie that shows the struggles of the Japanese citizens during the war. It is about Seita and his little sister trying to survive and have a normal life. I can't say anymore without spoiling the movie.

Related Holiday Threads

Post by Dream (7,609 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Other notable war anime I can think of (both historical and fictional):

Barefoot Gen (another infamous war film, this one having a realistic and rather graphic depiction of the atomic bomb droppings on Japan)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (greatest space opera ever. Nuff said)

Saikano (Tragic love title focusing on a teenage girl used as a weapon of war)

Stars franchise (Crest of the Stars and the three Banner of the Stars seasons)

Night Raid 1931 (Has agents with superpowers, but does believably cover how Japan developed its imperialist stance in the 1930s)

The Cockpit (a film anthology directed by the famous Leiji Matsumoto involving three pilots belonging to Germany and Italy military forces in World War II)

Sky Crawlers (this one's more about a fake war used for a reality TV program used to entertain the masses in an alternate future, but still counts)

The Princess and the Pilot (war drama involving a princess, a pilot of mixed racial origins facing prejudice and a war between kingdoms)

Gundam franchise (too many titles to name)

Kayoko's Diary (film focusing on a young Japanese girl's coming of age during World War II as she confronts the harsh realities of war)

Diary of Anne Frank (believe it or not, there's an anime film adaptation of this)

The Princess and the Pilot (war drama involving a princess, a pilot of mixed racial origins facing prejudice and a war between kingdoms)

That one seems similar to a new anime series called The Pilots Love Song, but when I watched Pilot's Love Song, it was too predictable and shallow for me to care for the series. It was a decent war themed anime series, but it's not very enjoyable.

I would recommend Howl's Moving Castle. Not as good as Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind which is darker.

Post by Dream (7,609 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@takashichea: Pilot's Love Song is set in the same world as Princess and the Pilot. However, the title's more standard setup for a story had me ditching it after its first episode.

Post by paladin (1,192 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@takashichea
I second Barefoot Gen and the Cockpit.
Aside from that it depends on your mileage what you actually consider war themed series.
Macross Frontier for example is all about the war against the bug-like Vajra...except it involves pop stars, singing, love triangles and...did I mention singing?
So yeah, could you be a bit more specific?
Are you looking for "hardcore" war themed series (well, mostly movies and short films because you can't get a TV show out of these) or "fantasy war" themed series also count? 
Actually, I'd put the "bug war" type series in a different category. These feature an enemy so alien that many of the moral issues of war become mundane.

Basically, how strong you want the theme of war?

@paladin:

So yeah, could you be a bit more specific?

You're mistaken. This thread is for everyone who's looking for the war themed shows. It's open ended and depends on folks' preferences. It's up to you and the others to recommend what kind of shows, so others have a variety.

Post by taichokage (13,241 posts) See mini bio Level 20
1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Bar none my favorite "War" anime) 2. Heroic Age (Epic action. If you are someone who likes anime like DBZ best, you won't be disappointed.) 3. Samurai 7 (Great animation, many deaths and combines futuristic concepts with feudal ones). 4. Macross (been ages but I loved it. It's almost like a combination of Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Gundam).

@Dream:

I wish the site stops glitching. Didn't notice your comment due to not getting PMs. It's good you dropped Pilot's Love Song. It wasn't that great of a show. The death flags were too predictable.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel