Manga / Anime Movies where is Holywood going wrong?

Topic started by Little_Sparrow on Oct. 23, 2009. Last post by Little_Sparrow 5 years ago.
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12

What Did They Do Goku
 What Did They Do Goku

With Dragon Ball, Cowboy Bebop, Blood the last Vampire all getting movie make over’s it got me wondering what other Manga would we like to see get the movie adaption. Now we all know Akira is under the preverbal chopping block of movies to get made and judging from the treatment of Dragon Ball what horror’s lay in wait for us for these upcoming picture. I also wonder do I want to see one of my most beloved manga get turned and twisted into something Hollywood would consider a story they can sell! But for us to understand why they change stories we also have to accept that they want the movie to appeal to wider audiences A good example of this would be Wanted by Warren Ellis, the movie was almost nothing like the actually comic, but yet it brought a new breed of fans into the comic world, Same could be said for Spiderman, Iron Man and much more. But of course these are comic films, so that raises the question do Anime /   Manga movies bring new readers to the industry and if so what kind of readers will it bring?

Yet Another Let Down 
Yet Another Let Down 

There have been rumors of  a Hellsing movie floating around since 2000 but it has never left production hell. But with the in flux of comic movies currently hitting our screens with more to come, is this the guiding light for American Studios to start picking up an almost untouched ocean of opportunities in the   Manga Arena. What future films do you see on the horizon, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece. Is Cgi at a level to deal with some of the scenes from current day Anime /   Manga or will it be to early! Also going back to my point about how Dragon Ball was changed what can we expect to be changed to suit western audiances?  Who will play in the role we want, Will Akira get a western over haul or will it stay true to the material ?

What does the Future Hold! 
What does the Future Hold! 

At the end of the day it comes down to money in the movie world, Dragon Ball made 4.7 million it’s opening weekend!!! May sound like good money to me and you and speed racer made 20 mil half of what they projected in profits!! Firstly I have to say this may be due to the film choice, im sure if it had been Bleach, Naruto and did not have the terrible hype that DB had then there would have been a lot more profit to be made. So are they making the right choice based on the films. Dragonball made it to the number 8 spot in Japan! Personally I thought this would have been higher but I think the Story killed it. Im not going to post the DVD sales for most of the Manga movies as they really are pitiful.

So what is Hollywood missing on the Manga front! What are we doing wrong as fans to help take that leap from page to picture! What films do you want to see in the future.

In Fact G-man on Comicvine actually just posted a Article about Ghost In a Shell getting made into a movie check it out Comicvine article see what you think of this upcoming epic or disaster! http://www.comicvine.com/motoko-kusanagi/29-48989/ghost-in-the-shell-a-live-action-3-d-movie-by-dreamworks/92-417051/?page=last#reply_form
Post by Dream (7,942 posts) See mini bio Level 21
I have argued on a couple other forums I frequent over the possibility of anime with a down-to-earth premise being produced by independent film studios. Hollywood seems to have a knack for being more concerned over how much they can profit from a popular pop culture franchise than the substance of its films. Independent film makers have always been more concerned over the substance and expressionism that is conveyed within their works rather than how much they profit from it. Some makers have even flat-out avoided releasing their films in theaters showing them off only at art house presentations and independent film festivals. Even if the plot of an anime series is wittled down to 90 or 120 minutes, you would at least be guaranteed a decent adaptation of that series where the show's original premise and themes are at least kept intact if it were made through an independent film studio. The movie wouldn't be a shell of its original self like Dragon Ball: Evolution, Speed Racer, or anything else that is made from mainstream Hollywood film studios.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,647 posts) See mini bio Level 25
The funny thing is that these products are made popular by fans, but when they make these movies the fans are the first ones tossed under the bus.

I'm not even going to mention the horrors of having Keanue Reeves play Spike.
@FoxxFireArt said:
" The funny thing is that these products are made popular by fans, but when they make these movies the fans are the first ones tossed under the bus.  I'm not even going to mention the horrors of having Keanue Reeves play Spike. "
I ranted about that casting for a week,  now im  more worried about casting for Ed and Faye, the horror's are not over yet!
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,647 posts) See mini bio Level 25
@Little_Sparrow: 
Best we can do, my friend. Is close our eyes, put our hands over our ears, and pretend none of this is happening. Cowboy Bebop is one of the rare cases where I really loved the dub work. As far as I'm concerned, Spike is one of the coolest anime characters ever. Reeves is a slap in the face of fans. The reason these movies tank is because they don't get the fans. What I could rant on about to no end is VIZ and their treatment of Detective Conan and other mangas.

Oh, I was looking at the points and Top User rankings. I'm not that far behind you, now. lol Just uploading information on One Piece has earned a LOT. I'm currently filling out information on the anime. Writing summaries, filling in cast, and other objects. I've gone through episode 1-183
Post by InfiniteGeass (527 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Honestly I think these movies shouldn't be made. There is a reason that anime is animated to begin with. You just can't capture the same feeling with a live action version of it I don't think.
@FoxxFireArt said:
" @Little_Sparrow: 
Best we can do, my friend. Is close our eyes, put our hands over our ears, and pretend none of this is happening. Cowboy Bebop is one of the rare cases where I really loved the dub work. As far as I'm concerned, Spike is one of the coolest anime characters ever. Reeves is a slap in the face of fans. The reason these movies tank is because they don't get the fans. What I could rant on about to no end is VIZ and their treatment of Detective Conan and other mangas. Oh, I was looking at the points and Top User rankings. I'm not that far behind you, now. lol Just uploading information on One Piece has earned a LOT. I'm currently filling out information on the anime. Writing summaries, filling in cast, and other objects. I've gone through episode 1-183 "
Damn I better start subbing again, took  sometime off but I will not let you over take me XD.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel