Maids: The Role-Playing Game

Topic started by gia on Feb. 19, 2009. Last post by Slinger 5 years, 7 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I know there are a lot of role-players among you out there-- how many of you guys tabletop/pen-and-paper? Dungeons and Dragons? GURPS? BESM? Anyone?

Well, I've got a new system for you to try. It's apparently the first-ever official translation of a Japanese tabletop RPG, and it's called MAID: The Roleplaying Game. True to its name, it is a roleplaying game where all of the players are maids serving a master. True to anime style, wacky events (like Yakuza run-ins and meteorites crashing into the garden) occur, and the maids get points depending on how well they handle things (from the master's perspective). You can also determine your own setting-- the default is a mansion in modern Japan, but you could move it to an Edo-era castle or a spaceship in a distant galaxy if you want.

You can buy the whole game for $8 PDF version, or you can buy a print version of the book for $26. Also, I found this via Jason Thompson's blog for his upcoming new work with Del Rey Manga, King of RPGs. Plug, plug.

I'm totally buying this, but who will I play it with until I get home to Maui? (And no, I will not try to explain anime maid culture to my parents so that they can play this. *shudder*) I guess I could try putting together a game on the forums, if some of you guys buy it too...;)

Post by otakureview (47 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I've seen this advertised for awhile now and while there is a strong temptation to play the game once just to see what the system is like, I'm finding hard to imagine it would sustain my interest beyond  few gaming sessions (unless I happen to be playing with a twisted DM... DM or just plain Master?).

Still... there is definitely temptation.
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I was once a Warcraft tabletop roleplayer, so I guess that would count..
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
#Japanator MAIDS night go?
Sigue: Done!
Post by Lunarmoth (193 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Sounds like fun, but I don't know?
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Oh wow... this seems tabletop game seems like it was made for me...

but who could play it with me?....awww.

Wait, anyone got a webcam and skype or something? perhaps we could set a game up that way? That'd be cool!
Yuy: That's possible. Although it's not too hard to do a tabletop game just via a forum or IRC or something along those lines. I actually have some friends who I just learned played this exact game via an internet forum a little while back. :)
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
It'd be so much simpler if we were all on the same IRC channel a lot.

Oh, wait.
Post by bakatanuki (10 posts) See mini bio Level 1
We could play it over the internets? COUNT ME IN. I have all my life wanted to play Tabletop RPGs with people.
Post by Sillyfaerie (13 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Sounds silly!
Post by yami0204 (4 posts) See mini bio Level 1
We actually bought that when it premiered at Gen Con last year.  Greatest table top RPG I've ever bought!  Best part was getting our D&D group together and playing a maid game.  It's so silly and amazing! <3
Post by Sonata (35,404 posts) See mini bio Level 20
lol I'm so ready to wash some dishes!:P
Post by UsagiChan (42 posts) See mini bio Level 5

Lmao!
I would so get this.

xD As long as it doesn't make my computer spontaneously combust from it.

Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Uh, sounds weird, but I'd give it a try (and probably be a pretty crappy maid, i.e. stealing stuff, as my D&D/GURPS/Shadowrun characters usually do (I once robbed a fellow party member when he was stricken blind by some unfortunate event, poor bastard never saw it coming.)) For anyone interested there's a pretty neat forum based tabletop RPG site called Playbyweb.com that I used to use a lot. It's got a built in die roller and everything.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel