Looking for something to watch, recommendations appreciated.

Topic started by Evercaptor on Feb. 25, 2012. Last post by mushroomyakuza 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by Evercaptor (4 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Hi, I'm a bit bed-bound for the next few days, drugged, but I have nothing to do. Games are out as I can't focus for very long, but movies seem to be okay. It doesn't matter if it's complicated, I only need it to distract me from the tedium of waiting.

I like strong female protagonists, romantic drama, political subterfuge, robots/futuristic tech and slice of life. I dislike dumb male protagonists, comedy derived from feeling awkward for someone (I.e. any thing Ricky gervais has made for TV) one dimensional characters (think snow white) and contrivances/Deus ex machina like most shounen

Obviously there's nothing with every piece
Hit the post button too soon (damn iPhone) I'd settle for one or two of those themes and a cool premise.

For the moment I have every episode of Gundam wing, which is really cool. As an example of something I hate, Love Hina.
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,329 posts) See mini bio Level 12

-FMA :Brotherhood (it's a got cyborgs ,a guy in a metal armour,smart male protagonist and political subterfuge)

-Steins Gate

-Another

Post by Asune (1,191 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Waatch Kara no Kyoukai, seven movies, dark plot, strong female lead character, romantic drama.

Post by Neurotic (41 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Kare Kano has all except political subterfuge and mecha, but I'll warn you than Gainax didn't even bother to make up an ending so if you get into it, prepare to read the manga. Code Geass has mecha, politics, strong female characters and a touch of romance. However, if you don't like contrivances then the second season is probably not for you and some of the first may annoy you.

@MrASSH0LE said:

-Another

Seconded.

Post by DocHaus (931 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@Evercaptor: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. First and second seasons. It's got a strong female lead protagonist, robots and dudes with cybernetic parts, political intrigue and a bunch of action. You can pick up the first season on DVD for about $25 from Amazon.

Thanks guys <3 gonna go with GIS:SAC first because it's dubbed and on Netflix. But I've saved a note with all the others :)
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

strong female protagonists, romantic drama - Nana

SFP, political subterfuge, and slice of life - Erin

GitS:SAC season two seems right up your alley since it has everything except for romantic drama.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Legend of the Legendary Heroes has a lot more politics and duplicity in it than I originally imagined. I found the ending to be a bit up in the air, though so take that as you will. Katanagatari has a strong female protagonist that isn't excessively sexualized, however there is a touch of tsundere in her occasionally. There are many great moments of communication between her and the male lead throughout the series. The show has warm romance within it, too. If you can find it, I'd recommend the Nodame Cantabile franchise. The male lead is not dumb, the female is quirky but not simpleminded, and a love of music provides a foundation for the development of their relationship. There was a short live-action series, too that's in the ether although I haven't seen it yet.

Post by mushroomyakuza (1 posts) See mini bio Level 3

I'm in a similar position. I haven't watched any anime for aaaages but I'd like to get back into it. However I am extremely fussy. I'd love to have some recommendations based on things I've watched and liked in the past, those being; Death Note, GIS: SAC, Evangelion, Samurai Champloo, Full Metal Alchemist (original, not Brotherhood), the first 125 episodes of Naruto before it just came filler nonsense, Cowboy Bebop is my all time favourite, and probably some others that I'm forgetting. If you've noticed a pattern, great, please let me know, but generally it's fair to say I prefer the more serious stuff.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel