Light and Lelouch- Are they really that similar?

Topic started by sharingan_eyes on Aug. 14, 2011. Last post by Destinyheroknight 1 year ago.
Post by sharingan_eyes (330 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Destinyheroknight: yes, but that's hardly "descending into madness"
@Dream:  

-Lulu had motivation in his grand plans to kick Britannia to the curb while Light was just bored

they both had motivation, Lelouch wanted to create a better world for his sister by taking down Britannia, Light wanted to create a  better world by taking out crime, the only difference is, Light became corrupted by his power, his goal shifted from wanting to create a better world, to wanting to create a world where he ruled 
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,070 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@sharingan_eyes:

I believe they didn't told Kira was dead, if they did that will happen

Light wanted to create a better world by taking out crime, the only difference is, Light became corrupted by his power, his goal shifted from wanting to create a better world, to wanting to create a world where he ruled

Quit, trying to justified Light (he did it because he was bored)

@Destinyheroknight:  

quite trying to make Light out to be an idiot, if you ever watched the show or read the manga, it's obvious that he did it to try and change the world, i will admit he started out bored, but he said it himself the Death note gave him purpose 

also during the last chapter of the main series it was stated the world went back to normal after kira's death was publicized, although some didnt believe it, and his followers had candle light (pun intented) tributes for him 

@sharingan_eyes:

I calling him a Psychopath who thinks he doing it out of the kindness of his heart, but he really is bored (that what I saw and you won't change my mind about it)

Huh, I guess I forgot some of those parts LOL!

@Destinyheroknight: actually i'm partially agreeing with you, he IS a psychopath, and he did think he was doing it out of the kindness of his heart, but deep down, it wasn't boredom that was motivating him, it was the determination to become a god...but Ryuk on the other hand was doing it just to ease his boredom 

@sharingan_eyes:

He was doing it out of boredom (to me), he feel like a kid who got a magnifying glass and burn ants with it (he will always be the bored kid to me)

@Destinyheroknight: alright then, i suppose we have to agree to disagree lol 

@sharingan_eyes:

I guess I'll do the same

Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@sharingan_eyes said:
@Lemegeton300:  

there are similarities but personally i found lelouch a genuinely interesting character , and light was not likeable in any way.  
i think that at the end of the day Lelouch regretted his more heinous actions but knew they were necessary whereas light never showed any signs of regret. 

i actually found Light to be more interesting, i mean if you look at Lelouch, he's the typical anti hero, fighting for equality, and freedom, and blah blah, not to belittle his goals, but they're boring, you see it in many forms of media, like Robin Hood, or V from V for Vendetta, or any other rebel opposing a dictating force, Light on the other hand is very unique, i can't think of a show where the villain of the story is it's main focus point, Light is an irredeemable monster, a sociopath who cares for only himself, yet i followed him every step of the way, i found how he would justify his actions in his own mind interesting, i love how he thought every single step out, and how his mind worked, sure Lelouch is the character your'e SUPPOSED to like more, however Light imo is the more interesting of the two

dont get me wrong Light is a great character in his own right and he was very entertaining and interesting for the most part, but for me Light was at his best and was more entertaining when you put him up against L. The contrast between Light and L and the battle of wits between them was the highlight of the show for me and when the L arc ended the focus became all about Light and i lost interest in the show soon after that.

@Dream said:
Two major differences between the two: -Lulu had motivation in his grand plans to kick Britannia to the curb while Light was just bored.-Lulu still showed remorse and concern for those close to him while masquerading under his alter ego. Light gave in to megalomania thanks to the Death Note.

my thoughts exactly.  Light was fuelled only by his only Ego and his narcissism whereas Lelouch had an honorable purpose. Yes that purpose and his motivations were not exactly original but that is not always a bad thing if the story is well written and executed. 
@Lemegeton300:  

my thoughts exactly.  Light was fuelled only by his only Ego and his narcissism whereas Lelouch had an honorable purpose. Yes that purpose and his motivations were not exactly original but that is not always a bad thing if the story is well written and executed. 

this is the one thing that always annoyed me when Lelouch fans would claim Lelouch's motives were more honorable, i say, so what? just because one has a more honorable motive doesn't necessarily make them a better character 
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@sharingan_eyes said:
@Lemegeton300:  

this is the one thing that always annoyed me when Lelouch fans would claim Lelouch's motives were more honorable, i say, so what? just because one has a more honorable motive doesn't necessarily make them a better character 

i think the morality makes him more relatable to a lot of people and that makes him a better character in their eyes.
Post by The Stegman (154 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Hmmm this is a very interesting debate...to me they do both share a lot in common, both were geniuses, although admittedly bored and disgusted with the world around them, both were given great power and chose to change the world to fit their own images, and both started out with good intentions, I think the difference between the two is Light was corrupted by the Death Note while Lelouch remained primarily the same (he might have gotten darker as he was forced to make tough decisions. I wouldn't say one character is "better" than the other, both are extremely complex characters with very strong senses of justice in the end I define their difference like this.

Lelouch would sacrifice his plans for his sister

Light would sacrifice his sister for his plans.

Post by Masako_Hihashi (594 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Code Geass is sometimes called the Gundam series without gundams. Thus Lelouch is quite compatible with the Char Clone stereotype, only give the Ace Pilot skills and the Red Robot to Kallen and Lelouch almost fills the part perfectly...

Light is more of a bored genius with a wicked mind, while Zero even if he was kind of a bastard he had a proper motivations...

Post by chris_iel (2 posts) See mini bio Level 2

light= at first, wanted to create an ideal world where he will be recognized as "Justice", but ended up in sacrificing anyone just to become the god of new world,

Lelouche= at first, an avenger who sacrificed lot of people including those who are close to him jut to have his revenge, but ended up sacrificing himself to free everyone from pain and sufferings,

_see the difference?? haha

Post by chris_iel (2 posts) See mini bio Level 2

light= at first, wanted to create an ideal world where he will be recognized as "Justice", but ended up in sacrificing anyone just to become the god of new world,

Lelouche= at first, an avenger who sacrificed lot of people including those who are close to him jut to take revenge, but ended up sacrificing himself to free everyone from pain and sufferings,

_see the difference?? haha

Post by bigz007 (1,086 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@chris_iel: Well said. Light would betray his sister to become a God and Lelouche would betray God to save his sister.

Post by sickVisionz (4,145 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Destinyheroknight said:

@sharingan_eyes:

But Lelouch is the one who change the world for the better and have people help keep it that way. Unlike Light who pretty much send the world into madness and have no one who have the power or skills to keep his order alive

Light didn't come anywhere close to sending the world into madness, unless you define madness as peace and radically lowered global crime rates.

@sickVisionz:

Man, I haven't been on this thread in a long time LOL!

Anyway, thinking about it. Would the criminals get smarter and only the dumb ones will die? Making the criminals who survive even more dangerous, since they able to avoid the police for so long

Also I kind of, overreact when I said madness. But, when Light die the crime return to normal, also he create a cult and that could bring problems later on

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel