Light and Lelouch- Are they really that similar?

Topic started by sharingan_eyes on Aug. 14, 2011. Last post by Destinyheroknight 1 year, 6 months ago.
Post by sharingan_eyes (330 posts) See mini bio Level 9
As soon as Death Note and Code Geass both aired, people have been comparing the two main protagonists from each show, Light Yagami, and Lelouch Lamperouge (Vi Britannia) a lot. some call Lelouch a Light rip off a sort of Lite Light. others say that Lelouch is basically Light with morals. however fans of both shows often dismiss the comparision as mere coincidence, however my question is, is it really a coincidence? or do the two geniuses have more in common than some would like to admit? 

Let's just look at some of the comparisions 

-Both were regular 17 year old high school students, who felt that their lives were meaningless, and that they repeated the same boring lifestyles day in and day out, both wanted to do more, change the world around them, but lacked the power and motivation to do so. 

-Both were good looking and very popular with the ladies
- Both met immortal supernatual beings that granted them great power, power that they used to become vigiantees and shape the world in their ideal image 

-both came up with alternate identites to converse with the public, "Kira" and "Zero" 

- Both have a legion of followers who would like to see them succeed in their goals, for Light it's Misa, Teru Mikami, and the Kira Supporters, for Lelouch, it's the Black Knights and the suppressed Japanese public 

-Both have genius level intellect and are master tactians 

-Both have a flair for the Theatrics  

-Both break the law to enact their own brand of "Justice" 

-Both were extremely arrogant at times 

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,282 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Lelouch have a reason for what he did (his sister), Light only did it because he was bored  
C.C. have a reason for giving Lelouch geass (she wanted to die), Ryuk was bored and give a kid his note book 

Lelouch have reasons for what he did, Light was just bored  

@Destinyheroknight: well that's not exactly true, Light had a reason, he wanted to end all crime in the world, at first he wanted to make the world a better place, however as the series went on, he became corrupted by the power, he still wanted to get rid of crime, but he also wanted to become the god of the new crime free world, Light had plenty of motives 
@sharingan_eyes
He just did it because he was bored
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
But despite having both died, though I'm one of the people who says Lelouch is the driver of the carriage and don't want to believe the word of the creators, Lelouch set himself up to be killed. Your matching conclusions are good though. Although I'd add a difference being that Lelouch is still a harem-type guy who doesn't really notice girls' feelings while Light knows that he can use it to his advantage. Lastly, Lelouch didn't get corrupted by Geass. He dealt with the effects of using it so much and the consequences of his actions.
@sotyfan16: yup i agree with all of your points, i think that's the reason why lelouch kept his concious while Light didn't the Geass didn't corrupt Lelouch like Light was 

as for the Lelouch death theory, there was a clip release from Death Note that shows a Shinigami wearing Light's jacket looking for Ryuk, some people claim Light himself became a god of death 

@sharingan_eyes:
I had never seen that before so it was interesting. The theory itself is neat, however...Such a thing would go against the power and rules of the Death Note. Those who use it will go to Mu, not Heaven or Hell. Although the Shinigami Realm isn't either of those, I don't see it happening. I'm not putting down the theory, just stating a Death Note fact that I believe voids such a thing.
@sotyfan16: actually, when i first saw it, i thought it fit perfectly, like you said, the human goes to neither heaven nor hell, just nothingness, and the shinigami realm is the definition of nothingness, as in nothing happen, time doesn't pass by, the shinigami themselves occupy their existence simply by watching the human world or gambling, Ryuk claims it's nothing but the same thing day in and day out

@sharingan_eyes:

But Lelouch is the one who change the world for the better and have people help keep it that way. Unlike Light who pretty much send the world into madness and have no one who have the power or skills to keep his order alive

Post by eldiax (130 posts) See mini bio Level 14
While they are the most popular anti-heroes in all of anime, and that's really why everyone compares them, they do have one big difference.  
Lelouch knew when to quit, while Light wanted to get his utopia at all costs. 

Oh and OP, edit your post and put a spoiler warning at the top, so I can have peace of mind (not for me since I watched both shows, but others might have not). 

@Destinyheroknight said:

@sharingan_eyes: He just did it because he was bored

He was bored before he encountered the Death Note, but his ulterior motive was to create an utopia, a world free from criminals. If Light killed simply because he was bored, the audience would never sympathize with him.
@Destinyheroknight:  

@sharingan_eyes
But Lelouch is the one who chance the world for the better and have people help keep it that way. Unlike Light who pretty much send the world into madness and have no one who have the power or skills to keep his order alive

yeah, i wasn't debating which was more successful (although Light did reign as Kira for five years, all while lowering crime rates globally by 90%) but simply comparing all of their similarities
@eldiax
I never sympathize with Light, he seem like a boy playing around with a new toy he got to me
@sharingan_eyes
And guess what happen after he die, the world would go into madness (I bet the crime rate sky rocketed, about a month after his death) 
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,328 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@sharingan_eyes said:
@Destinyheroknight:  

@sharingan_eyes
But Lelouch is the one who chance the world for the better and have people help keep it that way. Unlike Light who pretty much send the world into madness and have no one who have the power or skills to keep his order alive

yeah, i wasn't debating which was more successful (although Light did reign as Kira for five years, all while lowering crime rates globally by 90%) but simply comparing all of their similarities
70% actually
Oh I agree with much of Light and Lelouch's ideals. They would be in my secret, close circle of frienemies.
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10

there are similarities but personally i found lelouch a genuinely interesting character , and light was not likeable in any way.  
i think that at the end of the day Lelouch regretted his more heinous actions but knew they were necessary whereas light never showed any signs of regret. 
@Destinyheroknight:  

@sharingan_eyes
And guess what happen after he die, the world would go into madness (I bet the crime rate sky rocketed, about a month after his death) 

Actually, in the manga they showed the aftermath of Kira's death, everything...went back to normal, crime didn't skyrocket, but it didn't go away either
@Lemegeton300:  

there are similarities but personally i found lelouch a genuinely interesting character , and light was not likeable in any way.  
i think that at the end of the day Lelouch regretted his more heinous actions but knew they were necessary whereas light never showed any signs of regret. 

i actually found Light to be more interesting, i mean if you look at Lelouch, he's the typical anti hero, fighting for equality, and freedom, and blah blah, not to belittle his goals, but they're boring, you see it in many forms of media, like Robin Hood, or V from V for Vendetta, or any other rebel opposing a dictating force, Light on the other hand is very unique, i can't think of a show where the villain of the story is it's main focus point, Light is an irredeemable monster, a sociopath who cares for only himself, yet i followed him every step of the way, i found how he would justify his actions in his own mind interesting, i love how he thought every single step out, and how his mind worked, sure Lelouch is the character your'e SUPPOSED to like more, however Light imo is the more interesting of the two

@sharingan_eyes:

Actually, in the manga they showed the aftermath of Kira's death, everything...went back to normal, crime didn't skyrocket, but it didn't go away either

It sky rocketed, since the world went back to the way it was before Kira

Post by Dream (7,636 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Two major differences between the two:
-Lulu had motivation in his grand plans to kick Britannia to the curb while Light was just bored.
-Lulu still showed remorse and concern for those close to him while masquerading under his alter ego. Light gave in to megalomania thanks to the Death Note.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel