(Kinda) New to Anime: Looking for shows

Topic started by Surkit on April 20, 2013. Last post by FoxxFireArt 1 year, 3 months ago.
Post by Surkit (516 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I used to watch a few shows when I was around 15. A few were Naruto, Full metal Alchemist, and some gundam. I like the ones that are kinda out there, not too much fan service art and a lot of depth. Any suggestions?

Post by waybig1010101 (2,955 posts) See mini bio Level 13

high school of the dead (:

Post by Masterofdeath (2,247 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@waybig1010101: that has a lot of fan service -___-

@Surkit: there is Xenosaga:The Animation it has a lot of biblical subtext.

Deadman Wonderland: 14 year old framed for murder.

Death Note: A dude finds a notebook that can kill people.

Post by Dream (7,415 posts) See mini bio Level 20

If you have no problem with anime of the mind-screwing variety, there's Serial Experiments Lain, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Paranoia Agent and FLCL to get latched on.

Post by Jlynnana (3,293 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Pokemon =]

Post by Feral_Nova (1,863 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Why am I not surpised Shanana suggested pokemon? xP

I honestly don't know what anime's you have and haven't seen but I suggest Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, High School of the Dead, Gunslinger Girl, Akira, Princess Mononoke, Tenchi Muyo (was funny but it has multiple series... I don't remember which one it was I watched xD), Wolf's Rain, Ghost In Shell... um... thats all I got to offer that you MIGHT like :-/ I'm not a huge anime buff but yeah, hoped that helped xD if I come up with anymore, I'll let you know!

@waybig1010101 said:

high school of the dead (:

Great show. One of the few that had my full attention anime wise. That level of fan service was ok, I just don't want shows aimed at it and nothing else.

@Masterofdeath said:

@waybig1010101: that has a lot of fan service -___-

@Surkit: there is Xenosaga:The Animation it has a lot of biblical subtext.

Deadman Wonderland: 14 year old framed for murder.

Death Note: A dude finds a notebook that can kill people.

That sounds good. I've been told about Death Note. Might check out both thanks man.

@Dream said:

If you have no problem with anime of the mind-screwing variety, there's Serial Experiments Lain, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Paranoia Agent and FLCL to get latched on.

My favorite kind haha Thanks Ill run threw'em and see which I like

@Jlynnana said:

Pokemon =]

Doesn't count Nana lol

@Feral_Nova said:

Why am I not surpised Shanana suggested pokemon? xP

I honestly don't know what anime's you have and haven't seen but I suggest Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, High School of the Dead, Gunslinger Girl, Akira, Princess Mononoke, Tenchi Muyo (was funny but it has multiple series... I don't remember which one it was I watched xD), Wolf's Rain, Ghost In Shell... um... thats all I got to offer that you MIGHT like :-/ I'm not a huge anime buff but yeah, hoped that helped xD if I come up with anymore, I'll let you know!

Thanks Noves. I didn't know I'd seen so much anime till I realized I saw half that list :P Bebop, Trigun, and Tenchi were all on Toonami back in the day. HSoD I saw last year.The others loks good though

Post by Feral_Nova (1,863 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Surkit:

No problem :D

Post by waybig1010101 (2,955 posts) See mini bio Level 13

clannad, angel beats, future diary, higurashi, another , MM!, elfen lied, darker than black, toradora, black cat, mars, gintama, BTOOOM!, and 11 eyes

Post by Guyver (3,406 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Action

• Tiger & Bunny
  • Sword Art Online
  • Full Metal Panic 1 & 2
  • Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor
  • Wolf's Rain
  • Code Geass

Comedy

• Sket Dance
  • Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
  • Ranma 1/2

Sad Animes

• Anohana
  • Clannad & Clannad: After Story
  • Kanon
  • Air
Post by takashichea (11,690 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@Surkit:

Also check out the discussion threads at #Anime Vice Discussion Threads where we have spring 2013 anime series. The popular ones right now:

• Attack on Titan - It's like Highschool of the Dead but with Titans eating humans but no fan service. The animation is a bit like comic book style with the characters having thick outlines.
  • Flowers of Evil - Uses Rotoscoping animation which scares most viewers away, but the story is the catch here. It's about a girl that the main character doesn't like. When the girl catches the main character stealing gym clothes from a girl he likes, the girl black mails him. It's a psychological and creepy show.
  • Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is a mech series written by Gen Urobuchi who is known for Fate Zero and Madoka Magica. It's about Ledo who is stranded on Earth after a galactic warfare with an alien race. The anime pulls you in when you want to find how the story progresses. The animation is more spectacular on Earth than in space.
  • The Devil is a Part-Timer! - is a romance and comedy series about a devil king stuck in the human world and slaving himself at MacDonalds while figuring out a way to get back to his world.
  • The Severing Crime Edge - another romance and comedy series about Kiri who is a hair cutting fanatic who meets Iwai, a Hair Queen whose long hair is cursed where it cannot be cut. Kiri get stuck protecting Iwai from serial killers who want to murder Iwai for reasons I cannot give you due to spoilers.

I used to watch a few shows when I was around 15. A few were Naruto, Full metal Alchemist, and some gundam. I like the ones that are kinda out there, not too much fan service art and a lot of depth. Any suggestions?

I wish I knew what you like from your original post. I just went with the popular anime series this season. There is not much Shonen series this season. Back in fall, there is a new series called Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic. It's loosely based on Thousand Nights. It's just based on the names. Its about Aladdin who meets Alibaba, and the two go dungeon diving to get rich. Their adventures thrust them into solving society's corruption when an evil organization is pulling the strings. There is some fan service. For depth, it does cover slavery and economics a bit.

Mechs - I'll call He's a mech expert on anime series. He watches a lot of Gundam series. There are mech series this season: Valvrave the Liberator. You should check out Acura Max's Let's Talk about Valvrave the Liberator. I think the Valvrave creator is the one who created Code Geass. I'm not sure. I have to look it up.

Post by DocHaus (931 posts) See mini bio Level 18

Thanks for all the choices people

@DocHaus: Thanks *Does the secret dap*

@takashichea said:

@Surkit:

Also check out the discussion threads at #Anime Vice Discussion Threads where we have spring 2013 anime series. The popular ones right now:

• Attack on Titan - It's like Highschool of the Dead but with Titans eating humans but no fan service. The animation is a bit like comic book style with the characters having thick outlines.
  • Flowers of Evil - Uses Rotoscoping animation which scares most viewers away, but the story is the catch here. It's about a girl that the main character doesn't like. When the girl catches the main character stealing gym clothes from a girl he likes, the girl black mails him. It's a psychological and creepy show.
  • Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is a mech series written by Gen Urobuchi who is known for Fate Zero and Madoka Magica. It's about Ledo who is stranded on Earth after a galactic warfare with an alien race. The anime pulls you in when you want to find how the story progresses. The animation is more spectacular on Earth than in space.
  • The Devil is a Part-Timer! - is a romance and comedy series about a devil king stuck in the human world and slaving himself at MacDonalds while figuring out a way to get back to his world.
  • The Severing Crime Edge - another romance and comedy series about Kiri who is a hair cutting fanatic who meets Iwai, a Hair Queen whose long hair is cursed where it cannot be cut. Kiri get stuck protecting Iwai from serial killers who want to murder Iwai for reasons I cannot give you due to spoilers.

I wish I knew what you like from your original post. I just went with the popular anime series this season. There is not much Shonen series this season. Back in fall, there is a new series called Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic. It's loosely based on Thousand Nights. It's just based on the names. Its about Aladdin who meets Alibaba, and the two go dungeon diving to get rich. Their adventures thrust them into solving society's corruption when an evil organization is pulling the strings. There is some fan service. For depth, it does cover slavery and economics a bit.

Mechs - I'll call He's a mech expert on anime series. He watches a lot of Gundam series. There are mech series this season: Valvrave the Liberator. You should check out Acura Max's Let's Talk about Valvrave the Liberator. I think the Valvrave creator is the one who created Code Geass. I'm not sure. I have to look it up.

Appreciate this. Great list, the first one caught my eye right away.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25
  • FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: BROTHERHOOD - Though this is the second anime series, it's actually more accurate to the manga it's based upon. I believe you can still watch the entire series on HULU or FUnimation's You Tube channel.
  • EVANGELION 1.11 - This is a really great movie that is part of a re-imagination of the original anime series. It's going to be a four part movie series, and the first two are available in English.
  • SUMMER WARS - Another anime movie, but it's also just a great movie, period.
  • SOUL EATER - A good shonen action series with an interesting cast.
  • MY BRIDE IS A MERMAID - A silly and fun romantic comedy.
  • BLACK LAGOON - This is just a great anime series if you like wild gun action. I think both seasons are on HULU.
  • PERSONA 4 THE ANIMATION - An anime adaptation of the PERSONA 4 video game story. I believe it's still on HULU.

There are also reviews for anime series posted in the news section frequently.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel