Japan's Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy Operation

Topic started by takashichea on July 29, 2014. Last post by takashichea 3 days ago.
Post by takashichea (14,309 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Destinyheroknight:

Sometimes, HULU is a bit late and will actually take more than a week. They don't bother announcing it or making a feature notifying your favorite show is updated in Recently My Watched Shows feature. Crunchyroll at least notifies you on the anime channel. See My Main Gripes with HULU thread. I have to make a Crunchyroll grip thread one day.

To add to DHK's world wide issue

@flashback180:

In Europe, simulcast sites have to fight over copy right and licensing. Example would Wakanim UK and Crunchyroll that fight over UK and European countries. Even though we have lots of simulcast sites, the problem is that they are not all universal, so territories are don't get opportunity to check each site due to region locks.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,386 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@takashichea:

Yeah, Hulu should really work on that and also they should stop putting ads on the plus members. If I paying for it, I don't want to see any ad :(

Anyway, I found this video from the M.A.G.

Post by Whats_out_the_bag (1,781 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I agree with Dream. But I still don't like piracy within the anime community. This news doesn't effect me once so ever. I buy my anime and manga services/boxsets.

@Destinyheroknight:

Thanks, I put it in the OP. 5 mins earlier, I was checking ANN's news for today. Saw they posted about this issue with the video.

Post by Falbium_Asmodeus (947 posts) See mini bio Level 10

When it comes to piracy this is what comes to my mind when companies do something like this, piracy has been around since any of us were born and it will still be around long after everyone of us are dead.

Post by DENelson83 (9 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Destinyheroknight said:

@flashback180:

VIZ Media is only a US and Canada company, their main focused is US and Canada.

Not quite.  Viz really only focuses most of its attention on the US.  Canada is not on Viz's radar at all, at least with respect to streaming.  Viz's subtitled simulcasts have not been available here in Canada since 2009, when Joost ceased operations, and since their dubbed simulcasts moved to the same host in April of 2014, Canada has been completely locked out of Viz's online offerings.  Viz has publicly stated that it is working on a streaming solution in Canada, but my more comprehensive insight into the situation has forced me to conclude that Viz is completely out of options on that front; our domestic media industry—a cartel of four major companies; Bell Media, Rogers, Shaw & Corus—has essentially told Viz to get lost.  Viz wants its streams to be available for free, while Canada's media industry insists that viewers pay for such a service (e.g., Shomi, CraveTV).  A Hulu-type streaming service does not exist here in Canada, and our industry has all but ensured that such a service will never exist.
Post by Dream (8,246 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@DENelson83: @Destinyheroknight: Viz also has a branch that distributes anime and manga in Europe.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,884 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I do my things legal.

A mix of legal and not-so-legal in my case, the latter mainly to track down anime that has never been licensed here in the states or not available to watch via legal streaming sites.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,386 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@DENelson83:

Yeah, I forgot about that

@Dream:

Viz also has a branch that distributes anime and manga in Europe.

They do? I didn't know that, I thought Madman have the rights over in Europe.

@Destinyheroknight: Madman's the dominant anime distributor in Australia. They nearly have a complete monopoly over the anime industry in the country, with Siren Visual being a very distant second place.

Besides Viz, Manga Entertainment also distributes stuff in the continent along with several other companies that either sell in most parts of the continent or for specific countries (UK has several of them).

@DENelson83: @Dream: @Destinyheroknight:

It's probably best to have one or two company dealing with simulcast and streaming issues. Then again, I'm not very knowledgeable on the industry. We see so much struggle for fans worldwide when they want to get something legally, but they cannot.

Post by taichokage (15,238 posts) See mini bio Level 20

The problem with magnate companies in general is that they crush their competition and a single super power can pretty much do as it wants within it's field. And when they haven't or can't do something, they tend to try and either buy out the smaller company doing it or shutting it down.

@taichokage:

Oh yes, that's another flaw as well. There is no perfect answer out there. I recall Yusuke52 discussing about the anime situation in the UK when I was helping him to get on board with Crunchyroll.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel