Japan's Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy Operation

Topic started by takashichea on July 29, 2014. Last post by Falbium_Asmodeus 2 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by takashichea (13,136 posts) See mini bio Level 25

In cooperation with 15 major anime production companies and manga publishers, the Japanese government will next month start a huge extermination operation against 580 foreign sites which have illegally uploaded anime and manga contents on the web without the copyright holders' permission, NHK reported on July 28. While the government has started supporting the genre as one of their important cultural exports, there appears to be no end of illegal uploading of anime and manga via pirate sites, mainly operated by Chinese. The Cultural Affairs Agency estimates the loss caused by the Chinese pirate sites last year was amounted to at least 560 billion yen (about US$ 5.5 billion).

On August 1, the government will start simultaneously sending requests to delete illegal anime and manga contents to the operators of the 580 foreign pirate sites which they have found. In addition, the operation will launch a new site to guide the fans to a legitimate site offering some 250 titles including

the latest ones at a cost of several hundred yen.

How do you guys and gals feel about this operation and its actions towards piracy? Do you believe it benefit the industry or not?

MAG Project shared this vid to thank everyone.

Thank you.

Sources

Editor's Note

I couldn't find the ANN version of the Crunchyroll article.

Here's ANN's article .

Related Topics

Post by SMXLR8 (7,367 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Wow well this changes thing by a lot......

Post by Dream (7,895 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Have mixed thoughts on pirating. On the one hand, the means of gaining anime through legal means has gone up heavily in recent years to also include streaming options from Crunchyroll and American distributors as such where it is becoming increasingly difficult to justify piracy for getting recent and licensed anime titles. On the other hand, there are still a nice number of titles that have never been available via legal means due to either age, licensing issues or being too niche to appeal to wider audiences and pirating is the only legitimate means of obtaining them outside of Japan (notably includes Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Macross Frontier and several titles in the Gundam franchise [Double-Zeta, Victory, X and Turn-A]). Hate to say it, but illegal fansubs still have a place when it comes to giving fans a means of getting older or niche titles that licensors and legal streaming sites have never picked up. Just doing a big wipeout of pirate sites will only lead more to spawn in their place.

I agree with @Dream:

Part of piracy issue is that the lack of having licensed titles in countries other than USA will encourage people to pirate anime and manga. It's hard to solve this since not every anime and manga will be fit to be marketable in certain countries due to their demographics and content (mature content or has anti-nationalism themes) in it.

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I think it's a good thing. For too long the internet has been a wild wild west where if you have the technical ability to do something, that is deemed as ok. Piracy has no good purpose these days. Fansub groups aren't even fansub groups any more. Go on a torrent tracker and look at what's there. It's not some super niche series or showing some old shows that never came out some love. It's like the most popular and most legally streamed series available and rips of legal releases.

Piracy is just about not wanting to pay for product or in the case of free product, simply not wanting to see anyone ever make revenue for their work. Once every blue moon it's about the stuff and bring up but like 99% of the time it's just about theft.

Post by taichokage (14,163 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I agree with Dream. I can't blame this movement, but I think only real fans will look into and continue buying volumes of anime/manga faithfully. The typical viewer might do so only occasionally. Even then, most will not be able to afford getting most of what they view so they will drop them unless they subscribe to magazines. There would probably be a surge in sales and after a few years it would become a dying industry. In the modern world, if you can't find it online, it won't sell well. Those are just my thoughts on it.
Post by mrwhitex (68 posts) See mini bio Level 17

by what are those legal sites their talking about ?

@mrwhitex said:

by what are those legal sites their talking about ?

For legal anime streaming sites, that would be Viz Media, Aniplex of America, FUNimation, HULU, and Crunchyroll. For simulpub, it's Viz Media Shonen Alpha, Yen Press (I think), and Crunchyroll. Since you're from Saudi Arabia, I think Crunchyroll is open to your region since HULU might be restricted to the US. Auron570 told me HULU isn't accessible in Canada.

@taichokage:

Good point, but I still believe the industry is still growing just not as rapidly like video games and comic books. When I saw San Diego Comic Con and how much coverage that they had compared to AX, it hints to me that the comic book industry was way affluent than anime industry. I haven't seen other industries besides anime and manga.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,331 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@taichokage:

I don't see the industry dying because they cut down piracy, since their are legal streaming sites that are free. The only problem with them is they have to work with country laws, but they are trying to fix it. They doing this to get more traffic for their legal streaming sites, because if you type in watch Naruto you'll get a pirate site as number one

@Dream:

I believe they only targeting the site that only do the popular stuff. They probably don't care about the older or niche Anime/Manga titles, they are doing this to stop pirating of the newer stuff that are available online. Since it is cutting in on their business.

I really believe they should cut down on pirate sites, most of them just do the popular stuff and take from other pirate sites who do the work and then drown out the legal streaming sites. Also, the other thing that bug me is that they rush out translations to beat the official translations, that just under handed. I found it a good thing to cut down the pirate sites, because right now we have to many

Post by taichokage (14,163 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Destinyheroknight: Dying down might have been too strong. Maybe I should've said a gradual descent. I think legal streaming is a good idea. You can pay a little for Premium and have access to many things. That way people won't have to pick and choose so much and the authors and companies still get money.

@taichokage:

It won't really, the industry will change if they see they not making money. We don't need a million pirate sites (maybe ten or twelve, but not a million )

You don't have to pay for Crunchyroll, you just watch their videos. They get the ad and trafficking money, the authors and companies still get paid. (Just by visiting the site). Downside, is you have to wait if you not a Premium member. With VIZ Shonen Jump, they just trying to make it feel like the Japan's Shonen Jump. But if you don't like the way they have it, you could go to their feedback pages and ask if they change the way they do things. The people at VIZ Shonen Jump do listen to the fans, they not like EA

@Destinyheroknight: @taichokage:

I'm an avid Crunchyroll and HULU user. To be specific, you have to wait one week for new anime series in regards to simulcast. Don't know about simulpub. Haven't used them a lot.

Post by flashback180 (869 posts) See mini bio Level 14

580 sites that probably include every major manga sites out there, Sadly it probably include sites like m***x too .

But how long can they run this operation few months ,a year or two at best. This is just like trying to stop torrents, You can't wipe them out. Given some time more site will take their place . There should be well over few hundred manga sites alone world wide ,I doubt they can sue each of them individually .

They can't repeat this cycle every time it happens too. At best it will shut down many big names on the net.

whether if its good or bad it depends on the point of view, its definitely good for the companies in terms of profit and probably is the right thing to do.

But this will affect the franchise on the long run anime & manga have a wide range of audience all over the world ,most of these countries can't afford the prices put up by legal sites like viz media, each volume there is around 5-10 $ .They would louse a lot of its viewers worldwide.

MOD EDIT

@sickVisionz: I won't name certain sites since I can't actively promote pirate sites on this site. But there are some fansub groups/ sites I've come across that exist to put out anime that have never been licensed and most likely never will out of legitimate care for wanting to make it accessible to Western audiences. Still, I know that there are those who could care less and will still pirate an easily accessible/ popular title regardless.

Post by Bigheart711 (4,093 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I also have mixed thoughts about piracy. It does give a lot of shows exposure, but most of it is illegitimate and depending on how well the show does on actual TV, it could financially affect the creators which is why the increasing amount of simulcasters legally streaming shows is (most likely) helping the creators. Like Dream said, there will still be more pirate sites to deal with later on when there's a mass purge of them sadly.

Post by ElHa (43 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Online Now

Problem is that nearly all legal streaming sites won't work in European countries or (probably) China, but only in the US, Canada and Japan.

@taichokage said:

The typical viewer might do so only occasionally. Even then, most will not be able to afford getting most of what they view so they will drop them unless they subscribe to magazines. There would probably be a surge in sales and after a few years it would become a dying industry. In the modern world, if you can't find it online, it won't sell well. Those are just my thoughts on it.

Yeah, I also forgot about the matter of pirating also being a cost-efficient alternative for fans and I went through that period in college when I lacked the money to legally buy titles. While I can afford to buy many titles nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me to know that a decent number of anime fans can't afford to regularly buy anime and pirate to see what they can't buy.

Post by flashback180 (869 posts) See mini bio Level 14

I don't know if this is real or not but ,I found something intrusting on 4chan recently.

http://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/111309726#p111309726 (PDF LINK also inside)

Based on that they are going after pretty much all the big names like youtube , dailymotion ,most torrent etc .

The source is a PDF file which is supposed to be official i guess as it directly takes you to http://www.meti.go.jp, The link had been posted on multiple sites almost a day ago.

some of the names that were mentioned are.

for those intrusted in the exact details try reading the PDF viewing it with google document translator.

MOD EDIT

@flashback180:

I have to edit your comment. In addition to posting links to pirated sites, we also prohibit individuals from naming pirated sites in our community.

@ElHa said:

Problem is that nearly all legal streaming sites won't work in European countries or (probably) China, but only in the US, Canada and Japan.

That's one of the main problems others have pointed out. The UK has Wakanim.tv which helps alleviate the problem. Still, it's a brutal cycle that can be approached from many angles: increase licensing but lose profit and shut down major pirating sites.

@takashichea:

Oh ok, I thought it was just a few days. Simulpub you just get the current chapter, the backlog is for Premium members

@flashback180:

VIZ Media is only a US and Canada company, their main focused is US and Canada. Worldwide isn't their focused, because other companies have the copyright for the Anime and Manga they have.

I guess I'll end this with my favorite quote "It's the job of those at the top to decide what's good and what's evil! Right now, it could go either way! Justice will prevail?! Of course it will!! Because the side of justice will be whichever side wins!!"

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel