Japan Wins Big at Oscars

Topic started by gia on Feb. 23, 2009. Last post by Niko 5 years, 7 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

As some of you may know, the Academy Awards were held last night, and Japan managed to take home two statuettes this year-- perhaps a good sign for the country, since of late it seems to be trying to angle itself towards playing a more major role in the world's entertainment.

The first award it earned was the Best Foreign Language film, for Yojiro Takita's Okuribito (also known as “Departures”). This is the first time Japan has ever won in the category, although three Japanese films were accorded the honor when it was offered as a special/honorary award rather than a regular category. (Those films are: Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon, Teinosuke Kinugasa's Gate of Hell, and Hiroshi Inagaki's Samurai, the Legend of Musashi, in 1951, 1954, and 1955 respectively.)

Perhaps of more interest to anime fans is Kunio Katou's Tsumiki no Ie, or Le Maison en Petits Cubes, which won Best Animated Short Film. Le Maison isn't exactly done in a typical anime style, but Japanese animation it is nonetheless-- woohoo!

More trivia: the last time Japan managed to take home two awards was in 1954, when they took home both Best Costume Design and the aforementioned honorary Best Foreign Film award for Gates of Hell. (That tidbit courtesy of Tokyograph.)

Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I lol'd at the guy who said "Domo Arigatoo Mr. Robotto". And was I the only one who was pissed off when The Girl Who Leapt Through Time wasn't shown in the clip of the animated movies of 2008?

Also, i'm not sure if what you say is correct (about it being the first Japanese winner). Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha won in 1980 I think.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Black_Rose: No, 1980's winner was Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears from the (then) Soviet Union. Kagemusha was nominated, though.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
The "Domo Arigatoo Mr. Robotto" line was funny. However, I was displeased at the animated films being all CGI. Not just the whole "no anime got nominated," but I would like to see more American 2-D stuff as well.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel