Is there nothing about Avatar on this site?

Topic started by SunBender on Feb. 16, 2009. Last post by gia 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by SunBender (2 posts) See mini bio Level 2
It was always my impression that Avatar: The Last Airbender is categorized as anime....why is there nothing on here?
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
It's because the series is a huge blur between being an anime and being a US cartoon. There are certainly elements in the show that takes influence from some anime but there's other aspects that make it domesticated in the US.

I think this should be decided based on users and other mods. =) Post away people with your opinion if we should have Avatar as a series or not and reason(s) why.

My opinion: I think that it should not be included in the wiki database. Yes, it is a very popular show but it does not equate to the essence of the word "anime." Anime is a cartoon from Japan and Avatar is not made in Japan. It has some influences from Japanese anime but it still is from the US.
Alrite Thank you veyr much for the explanation....makes me wonder....is Pokemon from Japan?
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Pokemon is from Japan.
Yup. Pokemon is from Japan. It was made by Satoshi Tajiri. It does have a huge upbringing in the United States (and many other countries).
Sweet....thanx for the info...and not being jerks about it lol
No problemo! I'm quite a friendly gal who likes to debate civilly and try to help out anytime I can. =)
In that case any Anime you could recommend?
Well it depends what kind of genres you are into. I don't know ya so I can't exactly start naming stuff without a general sense of what ya like.
For example, if you are really into the action stuff, I'd suggest Black Lagoon because it's fantastically jam-packed with awesome fight scenes.

As for a general recommendation, I also suggest Fullmetal Alchemist. It's a great series, one of my favorites. :)
Alrite thanx....I've never REALLY gotten into Anime before....I watched Pokemon as a kid and Avatar is one of my favorite things ever, but I never really liked stuff like Naruto or DBZ....anyways I've been interested in getting more into it, Ive always been more of a comic book guy lol.
A comic book guy? I have the perfect thread for you then:
http://www.animevice.com/forums/just-manga/19/manga-for-comics-readers-and-vice-versa/201222/

Though it isn't anime but if you like reading comics, there's some manga recommendations there. =)
Thanx x100....nice av by the way
Post by Sonata (35,342 posts) See mini bio Level 20
RedRoses said:
"A comic book guy? I have the perfect thread for you then:
http://www.animevice.com/forums/just-manga/19/manga-for-comics-readers-and-vice-versa/201222/

Though it isn't anime but if you like reading comics, there's some manga recommendations there. =)
"
Ahh Red is using her Mod powers well^^
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Um, back on topic; I think Avatar does have a spot in the Wiki, but possibly not as a franchise/series (whatever it would be normally added as) since it isn't a "true" anime. If the encyclopedia is striving for real completeness then there should at least be a concept page for "anime style non-anime" that would cover some of the cartoons that are not anime, but have strong anime influence.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I'm fine with Avatar being included-- this wiki is for items of interest to anime/manga fans, which includes stuff like OEL (which I was just in the middle of editing the wiki entry on).

I could have sworn we DID have some Avatar articles, though-- I remember approving them, but I don't remember what specifically they were O_o hm.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel