Is there a "superman" in anime/manga?

Topic started by SMXLR8 on Nov. 25, 2012. Last post by DBZ_universe 1 year, 3 months ago.
Post by DBZ_universe (15,456 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@SMXLR8 said:

@DBZ_universe: so is goku...

sure... also ama stay out of that comment since I don't want a rage storm to be unleashed.

Tho Supes is a joke to Super Bugs Bunny.

Post by GrayWolf2 (303 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@SMXLR8 said:

@DBZ_universe: so is goku...

This is why sometimes I dislike being a superman fan because of people like this. Everyone here knows the answer to your "who is the superman of manga" question. It is Goku. So what if he doesn't wear a cape and waste his life stopping an evil scientist from taking over his city. So what if he doesn't.....no forget it I'm not going to sound like a hater of a character I have really enjoyed being a fan of. I'm just gonna say Superman is the prototype for what a superhero is and Goku is the prototype of what a manga hero is. I don't know why you hate Goku so much but seriously just let it go.

Post by SMXLR8 (6,890 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@GrayWolf2: all I am going to say is no he is not. I goggled this question and found a lot of people said no. They had good reasons and it made sense to me. After I thought about this my answer is no one in anime/manga can be as much of a symbol, as of much of.... well a lot of things as superman is. So say whatever you want your opinion are not fact so why don't you "let it go".

Post by GrayWolf2 (303 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@SMXLR8: Congratulations then. You created a biased topic where you don't want an answer. I don't know why you think a character has to be as universally well known as superman to be the "superman" of a genre but whatever. All I know is despite what the people you "goggled" say, when you ask this question about who is the superman of this particular genre the first person that pops into most peoples heads is Goku. Sorry but statistics don't lie. I've seen this question asked many times and the answer is always Goku. Oh and by the way this is not an opinion it is a fact. I'd go further but it is useless to talk to someone who only wants to listen to themself.

@GrayWolf2: I am not biased , you sound biased . I thought about this long and hard, I mean come on this is a old post so what I say is how I feel. Goku is nothing special in anime. A Lot of characters are heroes that save people , that is nothing new. It is not a fact since that is what you think , like i said say what you want , cause what I said made sense also do you know what else that is OK if there is no superman in anime since there different. I could go on but this is a waste of time so later.

@SMXLR8: How is Goku nothing special in anime? the dude is pretty much the most famous anime/manga character in the planet same with Superman being the most famous in comics.

I could say the same thing about Supes not being special in comics since there are other heroes that also save people like the Flash, Bats, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman... ect. But no, cause Supes is important in comics as how Goku is to anime/manga.

@SMXLR8: But then again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So if you think Goku is not important, than I can respect that. I was just speaking my opinion! sorry.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,063 posts) See mini bio Level 12

You googled this question? You based your opinion on other people's opinion?

Why is it, you believe Goku is not the closest thing to Superman in animé?

@Supreme Marvel: I did not base what I think off others opinions ,it was the facts they provided which made a good point. Did you not read my comment when I said that?

@DBZ_universe: Ok this s the last rime I am doing this cause people are taking this too seriously for no reason and it's kind of a waste of time.

1. People are looking at this from a black and white perceptive , when there is a grey area in this topic. The grey area may not be what you what to hear but you need to hear it cause it's important.
  2. My statement on goku not being special is just that. I said that because people think that just because goku saves people he is the superman of anime , which is false since there are a lot of other characters that do the same, see my point.
  3. No one answered my question , Goku does not have the status or respect like superman has , there are other factors that play into this one of them being that supes is timeless and goku is not. Timeless as people would know who spes is generation after generation , but since alot of people don't know who goku is.
  4. If goku is so famous like you said then why is a lot of people know superman more then him? , Goku was famous one time ago but now I don't think so.
  5. Goku does not = supes of anime , They may have some similarities but they are far form being the same in their repetitive medias. Superman has characters inspired by him and guess what goku is one of them. Does goku have characters inspired by him? I mean DBZ as a whole has inspired a few animes but goku individually I say no.
  6. Anime/manga are different from comics , that is another reason why goku does not win the superman award. It makes sense that I would say No one since the differences in anime/manga and comics.
  7. I would say kid goku has more of a chance to win the superman award then DBZ goku.
  8. For people to say only goku is the supes of anme is false since it's not just him. There are others like astro boy ,sailor moon and others will be my guess that also deserve to be the supes of anime. I am saying that if there is a supes of anime/manga it will be a lot more then goku , it will be who represent supes in anime/manga.

Yeah, you're right Goku isn't the only one that saves the world in DBZ. Neither is Superman the only one to save the world. Green Lantern, Batman, Flash etc.

Goku is well known in heaven and hell because they can see what he does. Towards the rest of the population of Earth, he's more like Clark Kent, someone they don't know that saves the world.

You spoke of reputation Superman has over Goku. When during the 90s Goku was famous all over the world, America, China, Japan, Europe etc. They stopped showing DBZ since there was no more episodes to be shown. If Superman had stopped producing films/comics etc he'd be in the same predicament. Superman has been around for 70 off years so it's obvious he'd have more of a reputation. What you're looking for is a character that has been around for the same period of time? That's ridiculous! Since manga don't usually go on for 20 years+

Then you spoke of Kid Goku, who doesn't have that much of a reputation. Who has killed quite a few people, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again to save his friends. While older Goku never wanted to kill.

You kept contradicting yourself.

I think you need to take another serious look at Goku since the majority of people here have named Goku as the person closest to resemble Superman.

Well I hope topic is over with cause I am tired. People have to look at everything before saying goku is the supes in anime/manga. Some of what I said was not worded right but you get he point.

@Supreme Marvel said:

I think you need to take another serious look at Goku since the majority of people here have named Goku as the person closest to resemble Superman.

I don't take a lot of things seriously ,this being one of them. As for goku resemble superman, well yeah cause he is a superman anime copy. Superman was for the most part original but goku is a superman inspired copy. I get what your saying but again I hope you understand my stand on this topic and the grey area.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,170 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@SMXLR8:

Superman was for the most part original but goku is a superman inspired copy.

Dude, Superman was inspired by Samson and Hercules

Also Goku wasn't inspired by Superman, he was inspired by Sun Wukong (from Journey to the West)

Goku later origin was somewhat inspired by Superman, but that about it

But Goku is Superman of anime/manga, they still selling DBZ stuff and it inspired other Mangaka to create (like what Superman did for comics)

@Destinyheroknight: can you not call me dude. Look I am tired of talking about this so this comment will be short since I have already made my point about this topic. I said some what original not completely. As for goku he was inspired by supes , I mean it's so obvious since since every says he is anime superman. Like I said read my other comments I have already stated that DBZ has inspired other anime. To be honest asking this question is almost as bad as asking who win between the 2. If you still wan to talk about this , talk to others and not me cause I am done.

Post by Sonata (35,160 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@Destinyheroknight said:

@SMXLR8:

Superman was for the most part original but goku is a superman inspired copy.

Dude, Superman was inspired by Samson and Hercules

Also Goku wasn't inspired by Superman, he was inspired by Sun Wukong (from Journey to the West)

Goku later origin was somewhat inspired by Superman, but that about it

But Goku is Superman of anime/manga, they still selling DBZ stuff and it inspired other Mangaka to create (like what Superman did for comics)

Superman was also inspired abit by Popeye as well.
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,725 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Yes

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,170 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@SMXLR8:

You start the discussion, that mean you want to talk about it. Like they say, don't play with fire or you'll get burned

Also if you read/watch Dragon Ball, you know that Goku wasn't inspired by Superman in the beginning. Only his origin are

Well, I'm sorry for not reading all the comments

Well, I sorry for calling you Dude (don't see why someone get offend by it)

@Sonata:

Hmm, I did not know that, Guess you learn something new everyday LOL!

@hitsusatsu11 said:

Yes

I said that at first too! lol

also nice pic!

@Sonata: Superman was also inspired by Krillin.

@DBZ_universe said:

@Sonata: Superman was also inspired by Krillin.

No he wasn't! He was inspired by Yamcha mostly!

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel