Is there a "superman" in anime/manga?

Topic started by SMXLR8 on Nov. 25, 2012. Last post by DBZ_universe 1 year, 6 months ago.
Post by waybig1010101 (3,480 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@SMXLR8: first name come to mind was astro boy ( besides goku but i kno u don't like him)

Post by SMXLR8 (7,393 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@waybig1010101: did i mention they have to able to live in space

Post by waybig1010101 (3,480 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@SMXLR8: no but since astro boy is a robot he can be in space

@waybig1010101: yeah he can unlike goku

Post by sickVisionz (4,308 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Goku

Post by DBZ_universe (15,743 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@MarioRedfield said:

@DBZ_universe: He doesn't fit the bill at all. He's just a poor imitation and a failed attempt at a laugh.

Of course he doesn't fit 100%... he is a parody of Superman lol. He is also a journalist and have similar backgrounds as well.

Post by MarioRedfield (1,888 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@DBZ_universe: He's just such a bad parody of him it makes me sick. He's one of the reasons I hate Dr. Slump so much....

@sickVisionz: NO

I asked my best friend today and she said Tiger and Bunny. She also said Hei from Darker than Black is basically Batman.

Post by sickVisionz (4,308 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@SMXLR8: Goku is a close as you'll get. There probably isn't a anime/manga that is literally identical to Superman in every way, shape, form, power, and ability.

@sickVisionz: yeah i know that but goku is not

Post by SpeedForceSpider (5,039 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@MarioRedfield said:

It is Goku. They have the same boyscoutish personality (for the most part), same exact background, similar cultural status, etc.

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@SMXLR8 said:

@waybig1010101: did i mention they have to able to live in space

Are you looking for cultural status, or are you looking for physical resemblance? Be clearer with your parameters if you want a satisfying answer, or simply stop being so curt.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,743 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@MarioRedfield: Aww come on.. Dr. Slump is awesome! Dr. Slump is the big brother of Dragon Ball.

@Turambar: i said status to begin with

@DBZ_universe: I still have to disagree, Dr. Slump was just annoying. I'm a hardcore Dragon Ball and never even heard of Arale or Dr. Slump until Tenkaichi 3.

Post by GrayWolf2 (354 posts) See mini bio Level 7

First off Goku IS the superman in anime/manga despite what the person in charge of this thread thinks. But since they don't want to admit the other obvious candidate would be Astro Boy. He's heroic, has some super strength,flight, and some invulnerability going for him. Like Superman he pretty much got manga started in the right direction. Other than that I guess if you wanna you can go with Superman in the Dr. Slump universe. Not Suppaman but actually Superman. His appearances are brief(maybe one or two scans) and he is referenced. Not a good example at all but he is there.

@GrayWolf2: The actual Superman is in it? Do you happen to know where I could find this because I'm interested now

@GrayWolf2: no goku would be the sentry of manga or gladiator nit superman do you get it this is a fact not opinion

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@SMXLR8 said:

@Turambar: i said status to begin with

His need to live in space makes a difference how then?

Your seeming refusal to differentiate between the cultural status bestowed upon a character from the audience and the in-world status bestowed upon the character due to his characteristics makes this entire question a fool's venture.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel