Is the D gray man manga worth reading?

Topic started by Haofan123 on Jan. 1, 2012. Last post by Haofan123 2 years, 5 months ago.
Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13
It was reccomended to me by a friend and I want to read it, but I would like some other opinions from other people who have read it before I dive in. Feedback appreciated.
Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I own about 10 volumes of it. It starts off decent enough but they add Bleach anime style filler to it that annoys me. Story arcs just stop in the middle and switch to some completely different story with no resolution to the original arc. When they did it during what was one of the most important arcs that the series was building up to, I dropped it. Later they did a time skip and the manga turned all ultra gory and "bad ass.". For me it completely lost its identity and I haven't gone back to it since then.
Post by taichokage (12,470 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Yes it's good. If you could combine bleach and full metal alchemist, the result would be d gray man, but it's basically what sickVisionz said, only I might add that it has a rather dark feeling to it in both the anime and manga (especially the latter.)
Post by DCypher (117 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I would say read deeper into it and realise it could of gone off the deep end into religious BS and then it would be too much like Evangelion. I think it treads a fine tightrope and Keikkashi pretty much keeps it afloat the whole time, its totally my thing. 
Post by sceonn (757 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Use to like it, but suddenly like sickVsionz said it took a dramatic turn for what I consider the worst. Even the art style changed into some shojo manga style that I my eyes could no longer bare.

It did change. The idea is more of a shonen plot, but the art style and even the mannerisms of the character have changed somewhat to be more feminine. But I think it's because the mangaka is actually a woman and perhaps naturally shojo elements appeal to her more and she can't keep a consistent shonen story going without swaying into shojo somewhat. Like the Kanda story and all and his relationship with Alma was a long "romantic" drag that could be expected in a shojo.

@taichokage said:

It did change. The idea is more of a shonen plot, but the art style and even the mannerisms of the character have changed somewhat to be more feminine. But I think it's because the mangaka is actually a woman and perhaps naturally shojo elements appeal to her more and she can't keep a consistent shonen story going without swaying into shojo somewhat. Like the Kanda story and all and his relationship with Alma was a long "romantic" drag that could be expected in a shojo.

would you consider it a change for better or worse? I really want to read d gray man, but if it just gets crappy halfway in then theres really no point to it. Id like to know what you think about the series as a whole

Honestly I would say a change for the worse, but not enough to make it a bad manga. Its still good and I like the fact that the main protagonist later in the manga has support from both sides and basically makes psuedo allies from the antagonist side and is made unjustly suspicious from some of his side, basically making him somewhat torn as to who he should side with, which I must say is a rare scenario in shonen manga. It is good and worth reading for sure and the fact that it sways from shonen style a little makes it more unique.

@taichokage: That actually sounds quite interesting. Ill be giving it a try in the very near future. Thanks man!

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel