Is Lelouch Lamperoug an alter ego of Adolf Hitler? (not trolling)

Topic started by axavierhansz on Oct. 22, 2013. Last post by UltimateHero0406 10 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by axavierhansz (240 posts) See mini bio Level 8

Hi everyone, I just finished Code Geass R2. After watching the whole thing I felt rather uneasy because I noticed a lot of similarities between Lelouch and Hitler. I know that considering this is such a provocative topic, I am likely to be taken for a troll. But as someone who has lost ancestors in the second world war, I am really just hoping that someone can make me feel less uneasy about all this.

The more I watched the story, the more I felt that Code Geass is really a show that tries to paint Hitler in a positive light by using Lelouch to represent him, and by doing so try to justify the atrocities of the Second World War. Here are the direct similarities between Lelouch and Hitler.

The similarities are not listed in order of importance. I just put down whatever I could think of in the order I thought of them.

1) Hitler: Honestly wanted to create a better world through Aryan supremacy. Believed that he needs world domination to do it.

Lelouch: Honestly wanted to create a better world in line with Nunally and Euphemia's vision. Believed that he needs world domination to do it.

2)Hitler: Extremely prejudiced against Jews. Wanted the destruction of Jews.

Lelouch: Extremely prejudiced against Britannia. Vowed to destroy Britannia at all costs.

3) Hitler: Military genius and diplomatic/public relations mastermind.

Lelouch: Military genius and diplomatic/public relations mastermind.

4) Hitler: Betrayed, lied, and used everyone as pawns, including his allies. Attacked allied nation (Russia)

Lelouch: Betrayed, lied, and used everyone as pawns, including his allies. Attacked allied nation (Chinese Federation)

5) Hitler: Created a separate, elite military organization under his personal command to carry out his dreams (Nazi stormtroopers)

Lelouch: Created a separate elite military organization under his personal command to carry out his dreams (black knights at first, and Geassed the Britannian military to total obedience near the end).

6) Hitler: Started a world war which resulted in the deaths of millions of people.

Lelouch: Started a world war that resulted in the deaths of millions.

7) Hitler: Hates his abusive dad. Mother died while Hitler was young and Hitler was traumatized by her death.

Lelouch: Hates his abusive dad. Mother died while he was young and Lelouch was traumatized by her death.

8) Hitler: Commits suicide. The world's united hatred of Hitler's actions is directly responsible for the creation of the United Nations, an organization which tries to foster international peace and co-operation. ------- "With the end of that war, and the creation of the United Nations, the international community vowed never again to allow atrocities like those of that conflict happen again" (source: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/history.shtml)------

Lelouch: Planned his own assassination. The world's hatred of Lelouch's Britannia is directly responsible for the success of the United Federation of Nations, an organization that fosters international peace and co-operation

9) Hitler: Uses scapegoat to rally the people behind him - the Jews, the communists, etc.

Lelouch: Uses scapegoat to rally the people behind him - uses Euphemia's rampage to rally the Japanese to hate the Britannians. This happens twice, the first was in season 1, and the second in season 2 when he uses memories of Euphemia's massacre to gather a million followers into being exiled with him.

10) Hitler: Had legitimate grievances towards his enemies (Versailles treaty) but couldn't give a flying f*** about how many must die to get payback.

Lelouch: Had legitimate grievances against his enemies, but couldn't give a flying f*** about how many must die to get his own revenge.

11) Hitler: Hatred of Hitler made Germany a better place. Germany has since then renounced all violence, and is one of the wealthiest and most advanced countries in the world with a lot of human rights and equality.

Lelouch: Hatred of Lelouch most likely made Britannia itself a better place in the end. Nothing specific about reforms is given but we know that Nunally became Empress and that's gotta be good for human rights.

12) Hitler: Personal involvement with the occult - obviously being real life, there wasn't any Geass, but Hitler was obsessed with occult stuff. Just google it if you don't believe me.

Lelouch: Personal involvement with occult stuff (heavily experimented with Geass to try to understand it better outside of normal usage,massacred a city of unarmed Geass order researchers so that he can be the only one to possess the power). His constant use of Geass isn't a fair comparison here because that's a plot device, but that other stuff was definitely not essential to the story.

13) Hitler: Talented orator that makes liberal use of highly exaggerated hand gestures.

Lelouch: Talented orator that makes liberal use of highly exaggerated hand gestures. Now, I know that anime needs a dramatic flair but this guy makes Yugi's speeches look tame. The massive amount of arm flourishing goes wayyy beyond what is necessary to simply add a sense of drama.

14)Hitler: Incest and betrayal - Geli Raubal, Hitler's half-sister's daughter, declared by Hitler to be the only woman he ever loved. She ended up having a relationship with Emil Maurice, Hitler's long time friend. Hitler then became extremely controlling towards his niece. Then, officially, Geli committed suicide with a single gunshot to the lung (which would not cause immediate death). The suicide weapon was Hitler's own pistol (which personally leads me to think that Hitler may have killed her himself). After her death Hitler was very sad but rapidly recovered and renewed his focus on his plans. Emil Maurice later became an SS-Oberfuher, roughly equivalent to a Brigadier General.

Lelouch: Incest and betrayal - Euphemia li Britannia, Lelouch's half sister, declared by Lelouch to be the first woman that he ever loved. She ended up having a relationship with Suzaku Kururugi, Lelouch's long time friend. Lelouch then used Geass to control Euphemia. He then shot her (single shot towards somewhere that would not cause immediate death) with his own pistol. After her death Lelouch was very sad but rapidly recovered and renewed his focus on his plans. Suzaku Kururugi later became Lelouch's Knight of Zero.

15) Hitler: Flies into super rage mode when things don't go according to plan. Strong hint of insanity.

Lelouch: Flies into super rage mode when things don't go according to plan. Strong hint of insanity.

I know that people are going to say I'm looking too deep into it but truth be told I have only watched each episode once. What I have done however is taken a genocide course in high school where I learned a lot about Hitler. After watching this anime the similarities just jumped out at me.

Anyway, what do you all think? Am I just being a freak or is there something going on here?

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
How could you possibly look at the show and history and think the Britannians (the evil oppressors) represent Jews and the Japanese (who were held in camps and persecuted) are the Nazis? Thats crazy to me. Do you think it was the Jews that ran concentration camps where they imprisoned Nazis? If so, that's not at all how history went down. Alot of other stuff is incredibly superficial like Hitler got mad and so did Lelouche. Some of your points seem less looney but I think it's a hell of a leap to say the series is trying to spin Hitler as a good guy.

@sickVisionz: No the Britannians do not represent Jews. The similarity here is the blatant and baseless prejudice and the scapegoating. At some point during the story, Lelouch found out that his entire reason for hating Britannia was a lie: his mother was NOT assassinated for politics, and is in fact still alive, his father cared deeply for his mother and actually DID protect her, his father actually loves him, the royals actually AREN'T senseless killers (e.g. when Schneizel was crushing the EU, he accepted negotiations despite being in a position of absolute advantage and against the advice of his generals), etc. But nevertheless he basically united the world against them to further his own goals even though he himself sank lower than the Britannians ever did. He didn't try to stop destroying the Britannians until he himself was ousted by the Black Knights, despite that by that time he knows that all the reasons for his hatred were false.

As long as the Britannians don't represent Jews, the Japanese CAN represent the Germans. Towards this I present several points

1) The Japanese were massively deceived and manipulated by Zero, just as the Germans were massively deceived and manipulated by Hitler.

2) The Japanese were treated extremely unfairly by the Britannians, but do not forget that the Germans were treated extremely unfairly by the Treaty of Versailles. Zero offered the Japanese a chance to fight back, just as Hitler offered the Germans a chance to fight back. Even our own historians admit that the Treaty of Versailles's harshness directly contributed to the rise of Hitler, just as the harshness of the Britannians directly contributed to the rise of Zero.

3) The Japanese were up against a much more formidable opponent but managed to achieve victory through Zero's careful diplomatic manipulation and daring battlefield strategy. Hitler's Germany occupied a tiny fraction of the population and resources of Europe, but through his political manipulation and daring strategy, crushed formidable enemies such as the USSR and France, and forced Britain into dormancy for several years.

4) The Black Knights, at the time that it consisted almost all Japanese, DID keep telling themselves that Zero's questionable methods should not be questioned because he's their glorious leader and he gets results. This includes overlooking Zero's actions against other Japanese rebel forces. The German people kept telling themselves that Hitler the Fuhrer is awesome and so hawt and deserves their undying loyalty despite his questionable methods. This includes overlooking Hitler's actions against his own people such as installing secret police, and terrorizing any German citizen that wasn't in line with Nazi policy.

5) The Black Knights did commit a small genocide. Zero commanded his troops to slaughter everyone at the Thought Elevator experiment, including unarmed women and children. The Japanese were NOT ok with that but did it anyway. Nobody called Zero out on it. Quite similar to Germany no?

Regarding your comment about the rage being superficial: you're absolutely right. Why incorporate such a superficial feature into Zero, completely out of character for his cold, calculating demeanor and brotherly heart? They could've easily portrayed his sadness and grief and anger without the use of his demented rage face. For example, I thought the part where he resorts to using refrain and asking Kallen for sex to get over his grief was very well written. It was way more powerful than using wild rage faces. Why go out of the way to use such a crude method of portraying suffering, one that isn't even in-character, and one that increases the similarity between Lelouch and Hitler?

If it was just this one point I wouldn't even waste everyone's time by posting this thread, but you can't just explain away every single point as mere co-incidence.

Post by waybig1010101 (3,245 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Online Now
i think that some of these are traits that dictators have along with some co-incidence 
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,282 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I think you have a lot of time on your hands, I pretty sure that wasn't what the author going for

Post by taichokage (13,353 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I wouldn't say he's an alter ego of Hitler. He ultimately is the one who brought down the Aristocrocy and their Dictator ruler, the opposite of what Hitler did. His main driving force was to eradicate racism and lack of unity. Granted he briefly forced the entire world under his leadership, but it was primarily for the sake up unifying the world. Immediately thereafter, he sacrificed himself and his authority with it. I'd say he's closer to the opposite of Hitler or maybe even, what Hitler could have been if he had taken another path.

TLDR: Lelouch was the biggest dictator of all he never brought down the dictatorship. Even after death he passed on dictatorship to Nunally. Lelouch was anti aristocracy but Hitler was as well.

Lelouch's driving force was never to eradicate racism. He was hell-bent on destroying Britannia, which is a sort of racism itself. He also twice prevented the adoption of equal rights for the Japanese in order to further his own military goals.

Lelouch ended up sacrificing himself for the world. We know this because we have absolute knowledge of his world. As far as we know, Hitler did the same thing.

@taichokage: I just watched Geass like 2 days ago and I don't remember anything about him taking down the dictatorship. As far as I remember, Lelouch abolished the aristocracy because he's always hated them and also because he needed to purge anyone that wasn't totally obedient to him. There is a direct equivalent in Nazi Germany: Night of the Long Knives. At the time, Germany had no aristocracy to begin with, but Hitler killed a large number of politicians and also high ranking SA (Nazi paramilitary group) commanders. Furthermore, Hitler was also anti-monarchy. I quote Hitler: “If the value of this institution lay in the momentary person of the monarch, it would be the worst institution that can be imagined; for monarchs only in the rarest cases are the cream of wisdom and reason or even of character, as some people like to claim. This is believed only by professional lickspittles and sneaks, but all straightforward men - and these remain the most valuable men in the state despite everything - will only feel repelled by the idea of arguing such nonsense." Since all monarchies in the history of mankind has intimately involved an aristocracy, it can be said that Hitler is anti aristocracy as well.

I also do not remember a single instance where Lelouch mentioned eradicating racism. Wasn't he hell-bent on wiping Britannia off the face of the earth? Also as far as I remember, Britannia announced that within the Special Administration Zone of Japan, the Japanese would have equal rights with Britannians. Yet Lelouch stopped that from happening TWICE, in order to further his own goals. Even the 6 houses of Kyoto, who gave nearly unconditional backing to the Black Knights, supported the Special Zone.

You say he briefly forced the entire world under his leadership for the sake of unifying the world. So did Hitler. See my point 1). Hitler actually thought that an Aryan world is a better world, and he actually cared about improving the lives of his subjects. I mean, that demon actually founded Volkswagen so that he could provide cars for German families at the price of a motorcycle, and he implemented massive socioeconomic reforms that lifted Germany from 50% unemployment rate to superpower in less than 2 decades.

Just like Lelouch, he tried to make the world better. Just like Lelouch, he killed millions to do it.

You say that Lelouch sacrificed himself and his authority to make the world better. That's exactly why I think that the author is trying to boost Hitler's image.

You see, assuming that we are normal citizens in the world of Geass, we would never learn of the Zero Requiem. We would only know that Lelouch started a massive world war that claimed millions of lives. If we were Geass citizens, we would hate Lelouch just as much as how much we hate Hitler.

The only reason that we like Lelouch is because we have absolute knowledge of his plans. But we don't have that absolute knowledge for Hitler. How do we know that Hitler didn't intend to gather up the entire world's hatred onto himself, then die and leave everlasting peace? The authors are saying: as far as you know, that could've been his intent: look what happened to Lelouch.

And that's why I think the authors are trying to paint Hitler in a positive light. I think they are trying to say: what if Hitler's original plan was the same as Lelouch? Would you still hate Hitler?

And that is why they made so many similarities between Lelouch and Hitler. Especially that incest thing. That is eerily similar, you can't deny it.

Post by Acura_Max (2,338 posts) See mini bio Level 13
The only reason that we like Lelouch is because we have absolute knowledge of his plans. But we don't have that absolute knowledge for Hitler. How do we know that Hitler didn't intend to gather up the entire world's hatred onto himself, then die and leave everlasting peace? The authors are saying: as far as you know, that could've been his intent: look what happened to Lelouch.

Did you just suggest that Adolf Hitler, murderer of millions of Jews, might be misunderstood. If so, please stop writing. Please.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,282 posts) See mini bio Level 21

This really remind me of the episode of game theory, about Mario is an communist :/

But it was a joke

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,041 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Destinyheroknight said:

This really remind me of the episode of game theory, about Mario is an communist :/

But it was a joke

Lol, in the newer eps, they took it way further than that

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel