Is it ok to pirate if it's the only way to get it?

Topic started by Theresonlyone on April 3, 2011. Last post by hitsusatsu11 3 years, 8 months ago.
Post by Theresonlyone (91 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I'm in the UK and I want to see End of Eva. However MangaUK recently discontinued the disks (i'm sure the rebuild blu-rays had nothing to do with it...) all the online places I usually use are out of stock; Play.com, amazon, zavvi and HMV are all out of stock or have delisted it, there aren't any listed on eBay even. My options now are pay £60 for a new one from an amazon seller, pirate it or wait and hope MangaUK brings it back. 

There are used ones all over the place but I don't like buying stuff used and the creators don't profiting from it.  

What do you guys think?
Post by SSJjanemba (2,435 posts) See mini bio Level 11

you gotta do what you gotta do. the creators already make lots of money its ok if they lose a bit
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,358 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Sigh...this is a issue I face with trying to watch anime or read manga online. I do not pirate shows/manga, but I have to read/watch most of them online. The sad part is that most of the manga I read is not available online (Amazon) for purchase, so I use scanlation sites. 

I want to support the industry, but sometimes you can't help watching/reading illegally because you can not find/purchase the anime/manga online.
Exactly my point. They have chosen to make in unavailable to purchase easily. 

Also I hope that soon they make more manga digital because i'm getting a Kindle in a couple of days and I really would like to stop buying books (shitty ineffective wrists explode when i hold heavy books...)
Post by Agent9149 (481 posts) See mini bio Level 11
pirating is a necessary evil
Post by sickVisionz (4,310 posts) See mini bio Level 24
You have the option to buy it in a language you can understand it in but you're choosing not to.  That's not a case of necessary evil or no other options existing. 

Piracy being a necessary evil is wishy washy to me.  There is no necessary evil when it comes to obtaining luxury items or entertainment items.  Not being able to add something to your watched anime list or talk about it on a blog/forum/twitter isn't the end of the world doesn't make it qualify it as necessary

If you're going to pirate, just pirate.  Say you don't care, it's free and easy to get so its going to be gotten.  Don't make excuses for it though or try to spin it.
@sickVisionz: I'm choosing not to buy it from private sellers who mark the price up massively. Either way I go Gainax doesn't benifit.
Post by sickVisionz (4,310 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@Theresonlyone: That makes no difference.  There are legal ways of getting it but you're opting to get it illegally. 

" If you're going to pirate, just pirate.  Say you don't care, it's free and easy to get so its going to be gotten.  Don't make excuses for it though or try to spin it. "
@sickVisionz: I disagree with you completely but you did make me think, there are a few obscure anime places in london and i'm going there next week for a comedy show i'll have a look.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Theresonlyone: Dude, you're not looking far enough. Why not try looking here for what you seek?
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,386 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Well I pirate, but I buy the DVD or Manga if it come up over. I buy everything I watch and read, even if sucks (damn you Queen's Blade) 

@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto: I don't want used. The legality of pirating doesn't bother me what does bother me is that the creators benifit from it.
Post by SuperperfectCell (528 posts) See mini bio Level 10

it would be know different if you did'nt buy anythign from the seirse at all, go ahead its not like the company doesn't have millions and millions of dollars already.
@Theresonlyone: So don't buy from the UK distributors. Buy it from US distributors and deal with the currency exchange online. Hit up the US site and buy it from there.
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto I don't have a multi region DVD player. If I did I'd have done it already.
@SuperperfectCell Nope I bought the whole platinum series. Fuck me that was a mission and a half. 3, 4, and 6 came scratched up I had to send them back twice. The rest came with either damaged cases or limited edition booklet missing.
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Having the excuse of "Dude the creator have more money than you could imagine, they could lose some" is not valid
 @sickVisionz said:
" You have the option to buy it in a language you can understand it in but you're choosing not to.  That's not a case of necessary evil or no other options existing. 

Piracy being a necessary evil is wishy washy to me.  There is no necessary evil when it comes to obtaining luxury items or entertainment items.  Not being able to add something to your watched anime list or talk about it on a blog/forum/twitter isn't the end of the world doesn't make it qualify it as necessary.  If you're going to pirate, just pirate.  Say you don't care, it's free and easy to get so its going to be gotten.  Don't make excuses for it though or try to spin it. "

This.... I actually agree
You pirate because you want to pirate, you want to get something for free, if it is the only way whatsoever to actually get it I would do it too, I wouldn't make shitty excuse to actually do it. Does a pirate need an excuse to plunder a ship? no? THAT IS WHY IT"S CALLED A PIRATE. That is where the analog come from

@Theresonlyone said:
" @Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto I don't have a multi region DVD player. If I did I'd have done it already. "
download a region unlocker and watch it in your computer , problem solved

to all of you talking about price...

See Australia, see their near 1:1 exchange rate with america
We still somehow get a 15% local mark up for everything , even locally distributed anime
and you know what? We still buy things, suck it
@cfatalis: This is a good idea, cheers. The problem is I have an iMac and multi regioning these fuckers ranges from difficult to easy depending on the drive manufacturer. Also price never has been an issue, I always have money for my hobbies. 
@Theresonlyone: As I've asked before- do you, or do you not, have a PlayStation 2 and/or 3? Yes, it matters.
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto said:

" @Theresonlyone: As I've asked before- do you, or do you not, have a PlayStation 2 and/or 3? Yes, it matters. "

preferably a ps2, a modded one actually, or a jailbroken ps3... Xbox works too 

@Theresonlyone: Do you also boot windows? consider booting it, there is this nifty software to unlock your drive semi permanently with one software 

there is also the way of getting a portable drive... just saying
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel