Is Avatar the last air bender a amine?

Topic started by SMXLR8 on Nov. 22, 2012. Last post by KingOfAsh 1 year, 9 months ago.
Post by SMXLR8 (7,256 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Online Now

Lets settle this once and for all cause i say no but i don't understand why the mods allow people to use it in fights

Post by Agent9149 (481 posts) See mini bio Level 11

No. It is not animation originating in the eastern world. But it still extremely popular in anime fandom.

Post by sickVisionz (4,297 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Every few months this comes back up. AtLAB isn't anime. It's not even in a gray area. Whenever I've asked someone saying that AtLAB is anime what makes it anime? the response is usually no response. When someone does respond, it usually boils down to that it's good, almost as if not being anime = bad therefore we all must say it's anime or you're saying it sucks. It's either that or really vague stuff like it has an overarching story and there are fights, both of which are zero factors in something being anime.

@Agent9149 said:

But it still extremely popular in anime fandom.

While true, this is a complete and total zero factor in whether it's anime or not.

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

well if this discussion is to be had, first you must come up with a agreed upon definition for "anime" from there its as easy as examining whether you can apply that definition to Avatar.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,227 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@SMXLR8 said:

i don't understand why the mods allow people to use it in fights

You might want to check the battle forum rules. Only one of the characters in a battle has to be an anime character. As for the Avatar character vs Avatar character battles, which are allowed because we have Avatar in our wiki, you can obviously just ignore those threads altogether.

Post by sickVisionz (4,297 posts) See mini bio Level 24

The only definition that covers all of undeniable anime imo is animation created in Japan where Japanese people have a noticeable role in the creative process. It being Japanese is the entire point that it's referred to using the Japanese word for animation rather than just "animation" or "cartoons".

Any definition with a criteria that eliminates duh of course this is anime anime is a clear cut flawed one. It'd be like defining a movie in a way that Godfather or Citizen Kane somehow aren't counted as movies.

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,043 posts) See mini bio Level 16

The answer is no. The Avatar series is not anime. It is western animation. However, we don't discriminate it because it has things about it that are comparable to anime. It is an exception.

Online Now

@Daniel_Newton: and why are they here?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,300 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@SMXLR8:

Because we need more views :)

That why we have MLP on here

Post by NoOne_13 (61 posts) See mini bio Level 9
One of the main reason I hear that Avatar is considered an anime is that the art style is similar to that seen in anime. But, of course, it is not anime but the creators of the show were clearly inspired by anime.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,227 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@SMXLR8: Avatar is one of a handful of exceptions we allow in the wiki. If you don't like Avatar, just ignore any threads related to it.

Online Now

@Daniel_Newton: ok fine so are you a fan of the show?

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,043 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Daniel_Newton said:

@SMXLR8: Avatar is one of a handful of exceptions we allow in the wiki.

Thats for sure. You guys have Ben 10 and Generator Rex in there for some reason. That's not even close to anime.

Post by KingOfAsh (1,390 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I think that anime is only from Japan (so even animation from Korea or China doesn't count as anime). Techniqually no. But I think of it as part anime.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel