Is anime racist?

Topic started by Rowr on Dec. 10, 2008. Last post by Nerx 4 years, 8 months ago.
Post by Rowr (4 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I mean. THE EYES!



I mean this in the way faith (below) could be considered a racist representation of easterners.

what_do_some_japanese_commenters_think_of_faith_from_mirrors_edge




Post by Kamen_Rider_Kajiki (90 posts) See mini bio Level 4
they would say she`s Chinese^^
Post by Rowr (4 posts) See mini bio Level 1
what do you mean?

what part of asia is she supposed to be from exactly???
Post by Kamen_Rider_Kajiki (90 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Dont really know havent played it yet and i never will.
But she looks more Chinese in the first pic :)
Post by Hottness (128 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I heard that game was tight
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
i dont think Faith could be considered racist but maybe a bit of a stereotype. i have never found anime racist, some shows go overboard with their character designs, and things like the eyes , as you mention, are a bit crazy.
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Rowr said:
"

With this i bring you..............
The Chinese slit eyed Lucy Lui (little flat....)
The Chinese slit eyed Lucy Lui (little flat....)
The Japanese round eyed Mikie Hara (Boobie.......)
The Japanese round eyed Mikie Hara (Boobie.......)
This is based on no truth at all my girl friend looks more Chinese then Japanese even though she`s the latter ^^
Post by Grand_Master_Daizen (452 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Hottness said:
"I heard that game was tight"
Yeah I played the Demo, it was really cool

Lemegeton300 said:
"i dont think Faith could be considered racist but maybe a bit of a stereotype. i have never found anime racist, some shows go overboard with their character designs, and things like the eyes , as you mention, are a bit crazy."

Yeah I agree I think its just a stereotype.
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I'd like someone to give me one way Faith is a stereotypical depiction of an Asian woman.
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Sigue said:
"I'd like someone to give me one way Faith is a stereotypical depiction of an Asian woman."

well the looks...........o wait already did that XD
Post by GlareMaverick11987 (88 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Most anime's are racist..they over-exaggerate their own people's features,at times make asians looks white,and they keep the black people out,the brown people are cool,but there aren't many black anime characters.There is no diversity.And when they do put a black character in they over-exaggerate his\her features with the huge pink or red lips and wide eyes.Only in the modern age might you find one or two balck characters that don't look absolutely ridiculous.
Post by Lady_Nightmare (2,789 posts) See mini bio Level 13
GlareMaverick11987 said:
"Most anime's are racist..they over-exaggerate their own people's features,at times make asians looks white,and they keep the black people out,the brown people are cool,but there aren't many black anime characters.There is no diversity.And when they do put a black character in they over-exaggerate his\her features with the huge pink or red lips and wide eyes.Only in the modern age might you find one or two balck characters that don't look absolutely ridiculous."
true
when i used to watch animes
in japANESE
it confused me
cause it looked like white ppl
speaking japanese
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Sadly it is done so they can open it up to a larger audience for some reason market research shows that people are more willing to watch something if they can relate to the character physically and mentally. So most animes are some what um watered down for a better lack of expression.
Post by Lady_Nightmare (2,789 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Little_Sparrow said:
"Sadly it is done so they can open it up to a larger audience for some reason market research shows that people are more willing to watch something if they can relate to the character physically and mentally. So most animes are some what um watered down for a better lack of expression."
someone explain to me why arent there more black characters in anime/manga
If more black ppl started in gain interest anime/manga
would there be more black characters?
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Lady_Nightmare said:
"Little_Sparrow said:
"Sadly it is done so they can open it up to a larger audience for some reason market research shows that people are more willing to watch something if they can relate to the character physically and mentally. So most animes are some what um watered down for a better lack of expression."
someone explain to me why arent there more black characters in anime/manga
If more black ppl started in gain interest anime/manga
would there be more black characters?"
Yeah I noticed that and in all honesty I have no idea, It seems around about circle. They want people to be more open to anime so they make them more western and then cut out massive majority of the world, There is a few but it hardly even makes up 10 percent. One that pops to mind is Afro Samurai and well in all fairness it just is not enough. Hopefully one day Anime/Manga will be more free with what they do then following what they thinks sells.
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Devilly said:
"Sigue said:
"I'd like someone to give me one way Faith is a stereotypical depiction of an Asian woman."

well the looks...........o wait already did that XD"
She looks like an asian. It isn't a stereotype if asians actually look like that.
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
yep that`s all there is to it nothing more, people who think that are just noobs i guess XD
Post by brukaoru (16 posts) See mini bio Level 3
Wow, seriously? Faith from Mirror's Edge? She's Eurasian.

Also, I've seen this argument tons of times. Anime characters are mostly based around Japanese people, except they give them really expressive eyes, obviously. They aren't meant to represent Caucasians. It's just the art style of most anime/manga.

Japan has been slowly opening it's doors to foreigners in recent years. There are obviously some stereotypes that they have about other races, which I think, explains the over exaggerated features on characters who are meant to represent a "black" person.
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Yeah I dont think the mirror edge image is racist at all.but there is somethings that can be questioned. But then again same can be said for comics and so on. Its all there but you have to look for it and then there is always arguments against why it has happened and why it does not happen.
Post by GlareMaverick11987 (88 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Lady_Nightmare said:
"Little_Sparrow said:
"Sadly it is done so they can open it up to a larger audience for some reason market research shows that people are more willing to watch something if they can relate to the character physically and mentally. So most animes are some what um watered down for a better lack of expression."
someone explain to me why arent there more black characters in anime/manga
If more black ppl started in gain interest anime/manga
would there be more black characters?"
That is the thing though...Black people are interested.I don't want to say Japanese people don't like black people because I have met Japanese people right from Japan..barely speaking english who I have become friends with so I am sure that isn't the case.I'm going to assume the reason it has nothing to do with the views of the japanese themselves but the artists.It's possible they believe black people aren't good enough to prosper in situations they depict in their manga or anime.Look at DBZ for instance..they have one extremely black guy (Mr.Popo) who did nothing for almost the whole series...they had two others during the Buu saga with the stereotypical black features.They were killed easily by Spopovich.Japanese media is true to the asian population.Very rarely do you even see a character that looks Caucasian and actually is.It's like nobody matters but them.Watch Sentai (Japanese Power Rangers),They had one season called Battle Fever J..There was a Miss America and a Battle Kenya and they were both Japanese.It's like they also don't get how unrealistic it is to live in a world where everyone is the same race.There are black,white and spanish people in Japan..but they will never acknowledge.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel