[iOS] Whiskey Media Video Buddy

Topic started by Soup_Menu on Jan. 7, 2012. Last post by Soup_Menu 2 years, 7 months ago.
Post by Soup_Menu (2 posts) See mini bio Level 4

I'm pleased to announce that Whiskey Media Video Buddy is now available for iOS. Previously an Android exclusive, this free app aims to make watching videos from any of the five Whiskey Media sites on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad as convenient as possible. How? I'm glad you asked:

Everyone is able to:

• Stream all non-member-exclusive videos from each site
  • Save your place in a video and resume from that spot later
  • Send video to AirPlay-capable devices like an Apple TV

Additionally, paid Whiskey Media members can:

• Access the subscriber-only videos
  • Access HD streams for every video available
  • Download videos to watch later

There are also two limitations I should mention:

You must be running iOS 5.0 or better. This is my first time working with iOS and only targeting the most recent version of the operating system simplified things immensely.

Videos can only be streamed over WiFi. App Store policy effectively requires that Whiskey Media Video Buddy use HTTP Live Streaming when using the cellular network for data and, to the best of my knowledge, Whiskey Media does not currently support HLS. For those interested in details, see section 9.4 of the App Store Review Guidelines and the "Requirements for Apps" section in the "Using HTTP Live Streaming" portion of the HTTP Live Streaming Overview

If you own an iOS device and are a fan of Whiskey Media's video content then I encourage you to head on over to the App Store to check it out. If you have any questions or comments please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Post by Soup_Menu (2 posts) See mini bio Level 4

Version 1.1 is now available!

• The biggest addition is that premium members can now download videos. Downloads can be started by hitting the save icon on the quality selection screen and managed from the download manager accessible from the main menu. Apple's policies governing multitasking preclude unrestricted background downloading, but Whiskey Media Video Buddy is able to continue for up to 10 minutes after the screen is turned off or you switch apps. If the downloads haven't finished when those 10 minutes are up they'll be paused and automatically resumed the next time you open WMVB.
  • Another change is that, by default, videos will play in landscape regardless of how the device is held. If you'd like videos to rotate with the device there's an option in the settings app.
  • Also new in this version are thumbnails in the video listings, an updated main menu, and a new app icon.

It didn't make it into this release, but I also have a fix that prevents AirPlay from stopping when the iOS device's screen locks. Another update that includes the fix should be available in about a week.

I hope you guys like it!

Edit: Since I can't post more than two times in a row I'll just tack this on here:

Version 1.1.1 is now available!

• A crash occurring when trying to stream videos on an iPad has been fixed
  • AirPlay streaming will now continue even after the screen has turned off
  • There are also some minor display tweaks and performance improvements

Enjoy!

Weird timing. After spending almost a month in various stages of Apple's review process version 1.1.2 was approved. I got the word about 10 minutes before the Whiskey/CBSi/BermanBraun announcement hit. I have no idea what this means for the future of the app, but here's some info about the new update:

Version 1.1.2

Layout Changes

• Changed the iPad layout so that the Download Manager is in the main window instead of a pop-up
  • Updated the login process so that you no longer see intermediate page loads (eliminates the flashing)

Bug Fixes

• Playing a video from the Download Manager to completion and deleting it using the dialog box wasn't removing it from the list of downloaded videos immediately
  • If a download was paused and then resumed it would incorrectly report the size remaining as the total size of the file, creating misleading statuses like "75 of 50 MB"
  • When using AirPlay the app would sometimes start from the wrong point in the video
  • A crash would occur when returning to the app after a video finished playing in the background
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel