In truth, I shall be checking out One Piece.... but....

Topic started by justanormalguy on Jan. 2, 2012. Last post by Daniel_Newton 2 years, 8 months ago.
Post by justanormalguy (270 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • One Piece
  • Fairy Tail
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,282 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@justanormalguy:

So basically you just want to make fun of dumb people, do that empower you?

Post by justanormalguy (270 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@Destinyheroknight: ....dumb people? Huh?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,282 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@justanormalguy:

LOL!

Post by Dreamer (114 posts) See mini bio Level 9

i just feel that Fairy Tail is just a huge copy of One Piece

@Destinyheroknight: You make no sense.

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@DocHaus said:

Did you seriously compare Gintama to Bleach? The only thing that's the same about them is that they were both published in Shonen Jump, and the main characters have swords, and some of them aren't human. Gintama's mainly a humor/parody comic mostly composed of one-chapter gags. There is a little continuity from time to time but it's not necessary to enjoy the story. Bleach is an action story with tons of characters that doesn't fucking go anywhere with a hundred chapters full of "aha, now I am above you!"

This exactly. If you're looking to LMAO a lot, I'd suggest Gintama over any comedy/humor anime-manga series any day. Especially the anime.

If you're looking for your typical shonen style never-ending adventures, I'd pick One Piece. It has enough balance of everything.

Fairy-Tail is as fun as One Piece IMO but it pales in the story department.

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@justanormalguy: This makes no sense to me. So if a girl his a guy in a completely non serious and clearly comedic way, then it's terrible but if the guy hits the girl as well, then it's ok? So basically two wrongs make a right? That's the head scratcher for me.

I could understand if you were like anything that would be bad or negative in real life shouldn't be used in comedy. I mean, I'd think you were a prude and question whether or not anything is funny since most comedy usually is of a physical nature where someone gets hurt in a slapstick way, people being in a dangerous situation, or outright making fun of someone else, all of which is negative. But, at least I could understand it and write it off as you just not having a funny bone.

I don't get the two wrongs make it right concept though. Isn't that just twice as evil?

Why is this funny, when issues like these are constantly seen in today's society?

This is even more baffling since serious cases of women beating up men is pretty rare. To me, that would be taking the norm and flipping it on it's head for comedic effect And lets be clear, stuff like Love Hina or Girls Bravo are clear cut comedies. These aren't dramas or things designed to be taken seriously like Ike Turner beating up Tina Turner in What's Love Got to Do With It.

So a girl hits a boy for comedic effect is a terrible act, Yet you bring up that the family guy and give that a pass because it's the case of a man beating up a woman for comedic effect, which is actually the norm, and say that that's ok... but then you end it with the line of "why is this funny when issues like these are constantly seen in today's society?"

Post by taichokage (13,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Fairy Tale is good but to me it doesn't have a deep plot like one piece does. But for the most part it is as humorous as one piece and it also has some good characters.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Dreamer said:

That's the same as saying Bleach is a copy of Dragon Ball Z, same basic concepts, different characters and settings.

I'm not really keen on any of the main characters in One Piece and get put off by lots of the character designs in general, it feels way more goofy to me. Fairy Tail has characters I like, and the setting is like a massive RPG game in anime form, which is pretty cool. They even pick up quests and go on them with a party of fighters.

Anyway, my point is it's really silly to say one anime/manga is "copying" another. Don't hate on it for being similar to something else. Just pick the one that appeals to you.

@justanormalguy: Honestly I'd recommend reading the first five or so chapters of both Fairy Tail and One Piece and then sticking with whichever one grabs you the most, or both. It's the only way to find out for sure.

Post by LuffyDUzumaki (161 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Forget Fairy Tail and watch/read Rave Master its better and its made by the same person you wont regret it. P.S. I chose One Piece

@Newten said:

@Dreamer said:

That's the same as saying Bleach is a copy of Dragon Ball Z, same basic concepts, different characters and settings.

Except Bleach doesn't copy character design, world design, team setup, character plots, and even costumes from DBZ. Fairy Tail is a straight up rip of One Piece. Have you actually seen both shows?

@sickVisionz said:

@Newten said:

@Dreamer said:

Except Bleach doesn't copy character design, world design, team setup, character plots, and even costumes from DBZ. Fairy Tail is a straight up rip of One Piece. Have you actually seen both shows?

I've seen bits of it of One Piece here and there. I find it hard to believe they're that similar.

@Newten said:

I find it hard to believe they're that similar.

Took the words right from my mouth. The mangaka ain't Nick Simmons here.

@Newten said:

I've seen bits of it of One Piece here and there. I find it hard to believe they're that similar.

A belief based off of seeing bits and pieces of it here and there. I could understand how it's hard for some to believe something that they are completely unfamiliar with.

@justanormalguy said:

Took the words right from my mouth. The mangaka ain't Nick Simmons here.

Actually watch/read a decent amount of both and then say whether or not the mangaka isn't approaching Nick Simmons levels of plagiarism.

@sickVisionz: I did a little googling and the closest thing I can see is Gildarts looking like this Shanks guy, and I admit there's a strong resemblance there, but apparently their personalities are pretty different. Judging by what I've read about this stuff it mostly boils down to some character design/general style similarities and the rest of it you could argue is shared by lots of shounen manga series in general.

Unless there's someone is Fairy Tail running around with a straw hat, stretchy arms and a massive grin on his face I really don't see much a problem.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel