in terms of powers/abilities are manga more creative then comics?

Topic started by fireking on May 12, 2014. Last post by SilverGalford 2 months ago.
Post by fireking (6 posts) See mini bio Level 8

in terms of creative powers and abilities are manga more creative then American comic books?

Post by Dream (7,416 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Since this isn't really a match, moved to General Discussion forum.

Post by SycoMantis91 (19 posts) See mini bio Level 6

No. I wouldn't say either is really more creative. A lot of western audiences may find some concepts more foreign than they are in their native countries though. Manga has people that turn into various weapons, people who can cut others' threads of life, and people with control over bananas. Comics have a guy that uses super-powered playing cards to slice through enemies, the ability to reconstruct the structure of items and living beings at an atomic level, and an extremely racist white man who becomes a super-powered blaxploitation character with an afro for one hour when he yells "Black Power!"

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,229 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I will say Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and One Piece beats any comic (creative wise in power creating)

Making a giraffe into a deadly weapon is crazy

Post by othus12 (6,590 posts) See mini bio Level 13

just take a look at toriko i mean who in hell would have thought of a fork and knife as weapons?

Post by katmic (333 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Anime is considerably more creative with its powers than comics; with comics the powers are rather basic, fire, ice, water etc, the variations coming with how they use them. The most uniquely powered characters simply have matter manipulation and can do almost anything. Anime keeps things new and fresh and crazy

Post by nishi99 (1,638 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I could see manga beating comics all together in 10 to 15 years.

Post by takashichea (11,700 posts) See mini bio Level 25

B. ICHI had some interesting powers all with their individual consequences. It's a shame it was developed into a full manga series.

Post by SekiryuuteiDxD (1,364 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Online Now

Highschool DxD's creativty makes short work of comics, No i'm not talking about Issei and Switch Princess.

Post by Haiken (1,045 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I see comics as Simply what Kids want to have, like invisibility, super speed, super strength, walk through walls, etc.. While some anime have this complicated type of ability, Accelerator for example who need computation to make his ability work, then in Medaka box like turning off or on your reflexes, all fiction, In arcana Famiglia, you need certain emotions to activate your ability and abilities also has downside, In hitman reborn, well, that's the only fictional series with dying will as source of power..

@othus12 said:

just take a look at toriko i mean who in hell would have thought of a fork and knife as weapons?

This guy from Mysterymen xD

Post by Shadowchaos (2,804 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I feel that the comics have powers that are pretty easy to understand and don't leave much room for growth sure they may get a power up here and there but they still restart the universe every couple of years due to the fact they start repeating the same thing over and over again. I mean by the end of it it becomes a arms race with powers with the different characters competing to be the strongest or beat the bad guys who then get stronger to beat the heroes.

While anime/manga you have powers that you may not truelly understand till maybe halfway into the series. Or there may be more aspects to it that keep springing up. For example take Medaka. At first she The powers also seem to be more complicated or sometimes even useless but even with that it draws in the readers due to the storyline and character development that can be done more easily from separate storlines that doesn't have to focus on several hundred other characters. Sometimes the main character of a manga is just a normal human that is really just unlucky to be caught in this kind of situation and may or may not get a power in the series but in comics if you don't a power or some super high tech gadget you are pretty much screwed. Though don't think I am trashing comics cause even though I prefer manga over comics and I don't read comics except for Walking Dead I am just keeping this to a more over stand point.

Post by SMXLR8 (7,079 posts) See mini bio Level 16

This topis is kind of pointless since neither are better then the other , both are different . As for people saying manga is more creative I hope you know that there are more comics then just DC and marvel out there and most comic characters still beat the majority of manga characters

Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@Destinyheroknight said:

I will say Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

cosmic cube too much?

japanese just added spiritual energy , that's it, if you look carefully it's the same thing just with more energy.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,229 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@SilverGalford:

No, not all Manga use spiritual energy.

It like saying, Comics just add radiation for everything

I don't know what "cosmic cube too much?" Mean. It just an cube that give the used ultimate power, not really that creative in my opinion

Post by Haiken (1,045 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@SilverGalford: You don't seem to watch sci-fi genre anime.. try watching to aru majutsu no index if you've not watched it..

Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,746 posts) See mini bio Level 20

For sure. Most western powers follow the same lines over and over again. (Flight, Strength, Speed ect)

Manga like Jojo, Medaka Box, and Naruto come up with completely unique skill sets

Post by SMXLR8 (7,079 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I will repeat myself neither of them are better then the other since there too different and there are more comics out there then marvel or DC . Both sides have there good and bad and not be compared since both have different formulas . ect on their stories go

Post by DBZ_universe (15,661 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Indeed. Manga powers are more creative. Look at Yoshimori Sumimura's powers! They are better than most comic book characters. Right now am reading this manga of this kid that his a super cool power (not OP but sounds it is if he goes mad) and is something new and creative.

Post by taichokage (12,887 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
I would agree based on personal experience alone that anime/manga tends (key word tends) to be more creative. But I can't claim that it is. Until one has seen at least most of the mainstream series of either, you cant really claim to know. That could take a lifetime and not happen still.
Post by takashichea (11,700 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@SMXLR8 said:

This topis is kind of pointless since neither are better then the other , both are different . As for people saying manga is more creative I hope you know that there are more comics then just DC and marvel out there and most comic characters still beat the majority of manga characters

You have a habit of doing this when no one else does that to your threads. Take a look at your threads:

Think of the golden rule. If you find it pointless, then don't comment. Let everyone have their fun.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel