I'm looking for an anime to introduce my friend to the culture...

Topic started by Evercaptor on June 14, 2012. Last post by DocHaus 2 years, 1 month ago.
Post by Evercaptor (4 posts) See mini bio Level 5
She's into action-y things and comedies, together if possible; like expendables, hot fuzz and RED or mr&mrs; smith.
I thought Gurren Lagann might be a good one, its a bit wacky and its about super-giant drill bot BOOM splode!
I also am considering excel saga, bleach, fma and samurai champloo and even my old set of cowboy bebop and outlaw star if I can find them. Maybe show her a middle episode in each series to taste?

I have a bit of time to go buy dvds, and english dubs would probably be for the best!!
Post by kashif1 (1,813 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Cowboy bepop and fma, some of the shows you mentioned are a bit too japanese.

Post by Sonata (35,219 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Black Lagoon is always a good choice to bring people into anime.
Post by sickVisionz (4,241 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Soul Eater is a good action comedy and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is a good mix of the two genres as well, with the added bonus of the visual style and overall tone being an easy transition for someone who like American "mature" (mature as in potty language...) cartoons like Drawn Together, Family, Guy, South Park, American Dad, etc.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,509 posts) See mini bio Level 17

DB /Z is the key to bring people to anime..

Also FMAB is good..

Post by Aryth (2 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Some of my friends that hadn't seen anime seemed to enjoy things like Code Geass or Death Note. However, Bleach is a good starter one (I knew a lot of people who only watched this). Black Lagoon is good too.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex might be a good place to start. I'm a strong proponent of Xam'd: Lost Memories, too. For something more down-to-earth, I'd recommend Toradora.

You also might consider some movies such as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Metropolis, Summer Wars and Wings of Honneamise. Obviously the Studio Ghibli stuff, too. Unless you plan to skip or postpone Neon Genesis Evangelion the series, you might consider the two NGE reboot movies.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,639 posts) See mini bio Level 25

If you're going with Fullmetal Alchemist. Go with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, that's closer to the manga canon than the first anime. Soul Eater is a great series. Persona 4, which can be found on HULU for free.

Black Lagoon and Death Note are more mature, but very good series.Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are also great action series.

Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Soul Eater is one of the first I "go too" to introduce anime to people newer to it. It's not difficult to follow along and it has a lot of comedy-based themes, easily able to keep the viewer's attention.

Post by ohgodwhy (1,507 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Full Metal Panic! Trust me this is the one you want to show her. It's got it all, nice innocent relationship, comedy, lots of action, mechas. It was my first anime and it got me hooked.

Post by eldiax (130 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@ohgodwhy said:

Full Metal Panic! Trust me this is the one you want to show her. It's got it all, nice innocent relationship, comedy, lots of action, mechas. It was my first anime and it got me hooked.

I absolutely agree. This is the show that got me into anime, and to this day still stands as my favourite anime. Great mixture of action, comedy and romance.

Post by damswedon (277 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@PenguinDust said:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex might be a good place to start.

Stand Alone Complex is always my go to answer, other than the awful Tachikoma episodes the show lines up very well with a standard Police procedural show.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,706 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I agree with the suggestions for Black Lagoon, FMAB and Soul Eater since they're more welcome to new anime viewers. One series I recommend is Revolutionary Girl Utena if she's also looking for any older stuff that fits the criteria.

Post by DocHaus (927 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@Evercaptor: Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. is all you need.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel