I want to get into anime/manga...

Topic started by TheGamerGeek on Dec. 6, 2008. Last post by Niko 5 years, 9 months ago.
Post by SteepInKline (12 posts) See mini bio Level 9
TheGamerGeek said:
"orz said:
"what kind of genre do you want to start at?"
By genre, you mean Anime or Manga?...excuse my ignorance, if you know me from GB, you'd know I'm pretty dumb."

Nah, you're not, we were all new to anime at one point.

Personally, I'd recommend Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex if you want a nice thought-provoking anime. Death Note, as mentioned before, is also a good one.

If you're into comedy, Azumanga Daioh is perfect, as the episodes are short (usually no longer than 15 minutes) and the writing is funny.

If you want straight action, I recommend Bleach.

As for manga, if you want to read something based on a video game, there are manga series for both Street Fighter and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

Hope this helps!
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Knil said:
Also, only watch your shows in Japanese with English subtitles! Not that there aren't good dubs out there, but 95% of them are bad. If you want the full experience of your anime, as intended, please, watch it in Japanese.
Don't be so hard on dubs. Particularly for someone trying to get into anime and hasn't watched a lot of subtitled shows before, dubs can be a good thing. Most dubs on TV are at the very least passible, and they're not as intimidating as listening to a whole new language while trying to read words before they go off screen.

If you really want to start getting into anime and want to be cheap about it, see what's on TV. Gundam 00 airs Monday nights on Sci-Fi channel. Adult Swim airs several series on Saturday nights starting at 1am EST. If these aren't in your area, try to see if there is anything else. You can also find streaming sites with legal anime like crunchyroll, hulu, and youtube (there's also not-quote-so-legal content as well, but we won't go into that).
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel