I want to get into anime/manga...

Topic started by TheGamerGeek on Dec. 6, 2008. Last post by Niko 5 years, 8 months ago.
Post by TheGamerGeek (3 posts) See mini bio Level 2
...so what should be my first step? What should be the first thing I watch or read to get into it? I used to be into Yu-Gi-Oh when I was like 8 and that's all I really know about it.
Post by orz (114 posts) See mini bio Level 7
what kind of genre do you want to start at?
orz said:
"what kind of genre do you want to start at?"
By genre, you mean Anime or Manga?...excuse my ignorance, if you know me from GB, you'd know I'm pretty dumb.
Post by Grand_Master_Daizen (452 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Do you like action?, Romance? something like that
Post by DualReaver (136 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Pokemon
Digimon
Dragon Ball Z

Get to it my man.
Grand_Master_Daizen said:
"Do you like action?, Romance? something like that"
I'd be good with action.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Great Action, Great Stories, Great Characters: Full Metal Alchemist. Black Lagoon. Samurai Champloo.

GOGOGOGOG
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
As someone who's not really a big time anime fan, I would have to agree with Kuro on FMA and Samurai Champloo. They are both great stories and easy to find as well (I'm pretty certain they both still run on Adult Swim.)
Post by PureRok (58 posts) See mini bio Level 7
For action I recommend Claymore, both the anime and manga (since the anime deviates from the manga toward the end and the manga is still ongoing).

Edit: Silly me. I also recommend Rurouni Kenshin.
Post by yorro (41 posts) See mini bio Level 4
DualReaver said:
"Pokemon
Digimon
Dragon Ball Z

Get to it my man."
He loved that kind of stuff when he was 8 years old

@TheGamerGeek - There are different genres of Anime. Action, Swordfights, Mecha(robot), Sci-Fi, Romance, Comedy, and a Lot more.

Swordfights:
Samurai Champloo - Pure swordfights, but a mediocre story but awesome swordfights nonetheless
Sword of the Stranger - Epic swordfights, top quality animation, great story.
Rurouni Kenshin - Epic swordfights, great story, old school anime.

Mystery:
Deathnote - Battle of wits, anti-hero main character, epic plot. Very much resembes the american show "Dexter".

Action:
Black Lagoon - Great action, great comedy, top notch animation, sprinkles of drama.
Cowboy Bebop - Epic action, western theme, great story, sci-fi theme.
Fullmetal Alchemist - Magic, drama, great action, awesome adventure, most epic story ever.

Mecha:
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Great action, military theme.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Epic Everyting. Robots that breaks all laws of science and logic.
Eureka Seven - More concentrated in drama rather than mech fighting, but the Anime revolves around Mechs.
Code Geass - Mech action with battle of wits at it's finest, anti-hero as main character.
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Sailor Moon, Macross, DBZ, Tenchi, etc. The Toonami classics.
Post by TheDrifter (663 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Hellsing
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
TheDrifter said:
"Hellsing"
Even though i don't like it, Hellsing has everything to attract the casual anime crowd, i recommend this for your first.
Post by hazelnutman (142 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Cowboy Bebop.
Post by Grand_Master_Daizen (452 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Godannar and Gravion

Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
hazelnutman said:
"Cowboy Bebop."
That's also an easy one to enjoy. One of the things that makes me leery of a lot of anime is, well, the animation. Often the style just isn't for me, and sometimes (in my opinion) can feel rushed and cheaply done. This is not the case with Cowboy Bebop, it is a stunning visual.

Another I like a lot is Ghost in the Shell.
Post by Kami (10 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Cowboy Bebop.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Wow, great recommending, guys. I think Gurren Lagann might be a bit tough for anime n00bs (too many classic anime tropes and references), but Fullmetal Alchemist would probably be a great pick-- plenty of action, plenty of humor, and a lot of its mythology and whatnot comes from western sources, so there's familiar material. It does get rather dark and brooding at times though; if you wanted something a little bit lighter, Bleach isn't bad (although it contains a LOT! of Japanese lore, specifically the concept of a "shinigami" / death god).

Cowboy Bebop is an amazing show, of course, and like FMA it has action, humor, and a hefty dose of philosophy, which can make it rather melancholy at times. It really depends on what you're in the mood for, I guess. If you want just crazy humor, you might try something like Yakitatte!! Japan, which is actually a series all about making bread...but it takes it ridiculously far and over the top. So it has a lot of that competition/leveling up battle feel of Dragon Ball Z, but it's hilarious. Or perhaps I should say, it's intentionally hilarious. ;)
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
gia said:
If you want just crazy humor, you might try something like Yakitatte!! Japan, which is actually a series all about making bread...but it takes it ridiculously far and over the top.
This. This one right here.
Post by Knil (18 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Well, I hate to mention it since it is generally disliked within the anime community, but since you're into action, you just might very much enjoy Naruto. Hey, it worked for me as my gateway anime. Just stay away from the fanbase!

Also, only watch your shows in Japanese with English subtitles! Not that there aren't good dubs out there, but 95% of them are bad. If you want the full experience of your anime, as intended, please, watch it in Japanese.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel