I prefer One Piece over Fairy Tail

Topic started by Destinyheroknight on April 12, 2012. Last post by Ibrahim651 11 months, 1 week ago.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,282 posts) See mini bio Level 21

To start this off, I not going to be bashing or say Fairy Tail is a rip off of One Piece. I just going to tell my opinion, why I prefer One Piece. There will be minor spoilers

The Goal

Boy Make Promise
Boy Make Promise

One Piece is about Monkey D. Luffy in a quest to find the One Piece and become Pirate King to fulfill a childhood promise, Fairy Tail is mostly about Natsu Dragneel in a quest to find his missing father. The first problem I have with Fairy Tail is that Natsu is the only one who still have a goal, his friends have either complete there goal doing there arc or in the second chapter. Lucy Heartfilia's goal was to join Fairy Tail and she did it in a chapter. Gray Fullbuster's goal was to kill Deliora who destroy his village, but it was change to make friends. Erza Scarlet's goal was pretty much save Jellal and her friends and she did it.

Boy Meet Dragon
Boy Meet Dragon

To me, there goals just come to them way to easy. I feel that main characters goals should be completed near the end of the story, not just in an one arc. It would be ok if they get another goal.

In One Piece, Luffy and his friends have goals that will last them for the entire series and also some of there goals have change. Nami's goal is to create a map of the world, which no one in One Piece have done before. Zoro's goals is to be the best swordsman in the world and help Luffy to be Pirate King. Usopp's goals is to become a brave warrior and visit the land of the giants (funny thing is that he basically completed his first goal without even knowing it) Sanji's goal is to go to the All Blue. All there goals are impossible to reach or hard to achieve, making there journey interesting.

The Arcs

Good Bye Merry
Good Bye Merry
To Bad You Grow Up To Be A Jerk
To Bad You Grow Up To Be A Jerk

Fairy Tail's arcs are not memorable, there no part of the arc that have a "this is Fairy Tail" type of moment. (It just doesn't stand out to me) Like in the Fighting Festival Arc, in the end with everyone sending off Laxus. It didn't impact me, since Laxus was trying to kill everyone in the town and he was acting like a jerk all the time. The arc didn't built up to or give me a reason to care for the scene

With One Piece's arcs, they built up to the scene (sometime before the arc). Like in the CP9 arc, with the Going Merry send off. It impact me, since I can understand how they feel. The arc show me how important the Merry was to the Strawhats.

My Final Thoughts

Well, I have other reasons why I prefer One Piece over Fairy Tail, but these are the major ones. Both are good series, but I feel Fairy Tail is lacking. I have completely stop watching and reading Fairy Tail, I plan on one day coming back to it (but its extremely unlikely).

Well, I got that off my back (sorry for any typo), so which series do you guys prefer

Post by takashichea (12,358 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Excellent blog, DestinyHeroKnight! It's like the similarities and differences blog I made for Gintama and Sket Dance. There are a lot of similarities between the two series as I heard. If new fans try out the manga of Fairy Tail, they end up making a mistake that Fairy Tail looks like One Piece due to Lucy and Nami's facial characteristics. I did the same thing, too. :) I never watched One Piece, but I should make some time for it. The Fighting Festival arc was one of my favorites with the Tower of Heaven arc, but I didn't feel pity for Laxus.

About the goals, I had trouble explaining that when I make a synopsis to a new fan who asked me about Fairy Tail.

For those who do not know Fairy Tail, Fairy Tail is about Natsu Dragneel and Happy who are in search for Natsu's father, Igneel. When Natsu meets Lucy for the first time, he and Happy bring Lucy into their guild. Fairy Tail is the name of Natsu's guild that has a group of mages/wizards who take different jobs to make a living. The anime revolves around Natsu, Happy, Lucy, Gray, Erza, and others as they take on missions and support each other when times get rough during guild wars and fights between good and evil.

I end up with this synopsis (tends to change a bit every time) for most of the time.

Natsu pretty much forgot about his goal to find his dad as the series progress. He is more leaning to becoming the best mage in his guild or maybe the whole land of Fiore.

Online Now

@Destinyheroknight:

One more question:

In terms of romance, does One Piece trump in Fairy Tail over making a great romantic relationship and scenes?

@takashichea:

Thanks for commenting :)

For the goal, I just went with the basic synopsis for both series.

In terms of romance, does One Piece trump in Fairy Tail over making a great romantic relationship and scenes?

No, it don't

I don't care for romance (unless its the other definition), One Piece is just the other type of romance (the adventure one) There are no romantic relationship in One Piece

Online Now

I linked your cool blog to the Sword Art Online and .Hack Similarities and Differences thread I wrote. I will write another similarities/differences blog for Fairy Tail and Buster Keel. Any shows you want me to investigate?

@takashichea:

You know, I totally forgot that I make this LOL!

Anyway, thank you for tell me this and add my blog to it. (I will comment on it later)

Post by Dekken (395 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I totally agree with this and I have to admit that I watch-read Fairy Tail mainly because of the huge quantity of good looking girls and the fan service.

Fairy Tail has some arcs that I really like (Phantom Lord is my favorite) and as you said before it has great romatic relationships, nevertheless I find One Piece funnier (maybe is because I have a different sense of humor) and I love how Oda keeps introducing new characters with interesting and rare designs (even though some of them are very ugly).

Hiro Mashima knows perfectly how to draw sexy girls and also creates characters with interesting designs but I think One Piece has more diversity.

Post by MarioRedfield (1,759 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Lol, I don't like either of them.

Post by waybig1010101 (3,245 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Online Now

me personally i like fairy tail more than one piece and im not saying one piece is bad in fact i like it very much. For their goals i kinda like how everyone solve their goals at different times seems more realistic than easy i kinda thing its a cliche when everyones goals are done at the end of the main character's goal. also fairy tail makes more goals for itself and their characters. i think fairy tail arcs are memorable is just that one piece and i give it to them have usually more memorable arcs then other animes but thats because their arcs are longer than some animes which isn't bad. but if you don't think fairy tail isn't memorable thats fine everyone has their own opinions.

@waybig1010101:

For their goals i kinda like how everyone solve their goals at different times seems more realistic than easy i kinda thing its a cliche when everyones goals are done at the end of the main character's goal

When did you get that they all going to finish there goal at the same time? (I say near the end) Some of them will finish it at the same time, like Sanji, Robin and Nami. Since there goals will probably be at the same place.

Also really, cliche? What part of Fairy Tail isn't cliche?

also fairy tail makes more goals for itself and their characters.

Ok, what are they? One Piece have about 14 goals already and I counting 3 for Fairy Tail

Online Now

@Destinyheroknight: im talking in general never said their weren't cliches in fairy tail just that where everyone goals meet at the end is a cliche in of itself im not refering to one piece.

fairy tail's villains that turn good everyone of them made new goals for themselves

one piece main goal is finding the one piece and making luffy pirate king

fairy tail finding the dragons and resolving the issue of Zeref

the other goals characters try to achieve or the story creates add to plot and character development some of the goals of one piece are a lot harder than the goals of fairy tail but that doesn't mean the goals of fairy tail are easy or that they don't exist. if u want to say one piece goals are harder thats fine its your opinion. but to say that in fairy tail the sum total of all goals of every character is 3 for an anime with over 100 episodes and has numerous characters is not the case. You just assume that goals have to be massive and impressive to count them as goals which one piece has a lot of them and fairy tail not has many but one piece also has 400 episodes on fairy tail. Goals are the achievement toward which effort is directed target, purpose; object, objective, intent, intention, finish. example lucy is about to die natsu's objective is to save her and he does he just completed a goal.

Online Now

@Destinyheroknight: im sorry if i came off as an ass. i respect your opinion and i hope you respect mine.

@waybig1010101:

im talking in general never said their weren't cliches in fairy tail just that where everyone goals meet at the end is a cliche in of itself im not refering to one piece.

Need to make it clearer LOL!

fairy tail's villains that turn good everyone of them made new goals for themselves

You know I was just talking about the main characters, not the villains. If I put the villains in it there will be overwhelming

one piece main goal is finding the one piece and making luffy pirate king
fairy tail finding the dragons and resolving the issue of Zeref

You know I already said that

the other goals characters try to achieve or the story creates add to plot and character development some of the goals of one piece are a lot harder than the goals of fairy tail but that doesn't mean the goals of fairy tail are easy or that they don't exist. if u want to say one piece goals are harder thats fine its your opinion. but to say that in fairy tail the sum total of all goals of every character is 3 for an anime with over 100 episodes and has numerous characters is not the case. You just assume that goals have to be massive and impressive to count them as goals which one piece has a lot of them and fairy tail not has many but one piece also has 400 episodes on fairy tail. Goals are the achievement toward which effort is directed target, purpose; object, objective, intent, intention, finish. example lucy is about to die natsu's objective is to save her and he does he just completed a goal.

You miss understand me, I was talking about major goals.(I should have make it clearer) You know like a life goal. (for Brook is an afterlife goal LOL!)

Seeing someone going after a harder goal make it more interesting, the reason why I think FT goals are finish so easily cause of the way they do them. Like how they need to win a tournament but they didn't train, but someone give them a power boost that make them strong. It just make it seem that they are taking short cuts

im sorry if i came off as an a**. i respect your opinion and i hope you respect mine.

Why are you apologizing? We are just talking (typing) about fictional stories, you wasn't calling me names or insulting me. There no need for apology

I do respect everyone (beside crazy peoples) opinions, I not trying to change your mind about this

Online Now

@Destinyheroknight: first i want to say thank you for being mature about this and sorry for misunderstanding u and reading over all these i find it pretty funny how we both didn't explain ourselves as well as we should have. LOL

also the training part could have done better but in it they give more story development in a mystery surrounding the tournament plus they have to suffer extreme pain to awaken their inner abilities which i found to be better than dbz gohan awaken his ability after he already awaken his ability on namek but it could have done a better job but it wasn't too bad.

@waybig1010101:

Well thanks, I do try to be mature (but some times the silly bug bite me LOL!)

Yeah, I should really learn to explain myself better LOL!

It still a short cut (don't get me started on the DBZ one), it feel like got cheated out of something interesting

Online Now

@Destinyheroknight: @waybig1010101:

Since I wrote another character table for Fairy Tail and Buster Keel, I might as well attempt to do the same. Fairy Tail's group is much smaller than Luffy's crew.

This is just a rough table. Feel free to fill in.

One PieceSimilarities and DifferencesFairy Tail
Monkey D. Luffy
Monkey D. Luffy

Similarities

• Both Natsu and Luffy are oblivious to women's feelings for them. (IE: Luffy to Boa Hancock and Natsu to Lucy (who's unsure).
  • Both are big eaters and smile a hell lot.
  • Both won't back down when their friends' lives are at stake.
  • Both have scars. Luffy has one underneath his left eye and a big one on his chest. Natsu has one at his neck.

Differences

• Luffy is a rubber man who can stretch while Natsu's a Dragon Slayer with fire powers.
  • Occupations: Luffy is a pirate, and Natsu is a mage. Same goes for everyone in this list
  • Weaknesses: Luffy can't swim, and sharp objects are bad. In Natsu's case, motion sickness.
Natsu Dragneel
Natsu Dragneel
Nami
Nami

Similarities

• Both love money and have large breasts.
  • Both lost a loved one. (IE: Nami's adopted mother Bellemere and Lucy's Layla Heartfilia)

Differences

• Background: Lucy comes from a rich family while Nami's family is poor.
  • Nami is a navigator who knows geography and anything in her field well. Lucy is book smart in Celestial Magic.
  • Nami has a tragic past.
Lucy Heartfilia
Lucy Heartfilia
Roronoa Zoro
Roronoa Zoro

Similarities

• Both lost a loved one who is also female. (IE: Zoro's Kuina and Gray's Ur).
  • Both compete with the main character, Zoro w/ Luffy and Gray w/ Natsu. Though, Natsu and Gray' are more rivals than Zoro and Luffy.
  • Both are brawlers.

Differences

• Zoro is a swordsman while Gray is an ice mage.
Gray Fullbuster
Gray Fullbuster
Chopper
Chopper

Similarities

• Chopper and Happy are sort of like the comic relief characters.

Differences

• Chopper is a doctor while Happy has no profession.
  • Happy loves to troll his friends while Chopper is a bit respectful.
  • Chopper has several forms.
  • Only Happy can fly.
Happy
Happy
Nico Robin
Nico Robin

Similarities

• Both have tragic pasts, but they differ. (I never got to the part where Nico's origin story was revealed) For Erza, she is a former slave forced to resurrect Zeref at the Tower of Heaven.
  • Both lived on islands.
  • Both are well endowed.

Differences

• Nico has seen her parents, but Erza has never seen hers.
  • Abilities: Nico has the Hana Hana fruit while Erza has the ability to requip different armors.
Erza Scarlet
Erza Scarlet
Online Now

@takashichea: i can see how natsu is a ripoff luffy in same ways( but the similarities u talk about i think of goku) but the other ones are kinda hard to see a ripoff in , background, personality, and abilities its too general to really say its a ripoff, similar yes ripoff no but who cares i like both of them

Online Now

@waybig1010101:

Oh no, I just putting some stuff that they have in common and different. There's a boatload of differences. Like you said, the similarities are quite general.

Now that I look at Luffy and Natsu, I do see Goku. I do enjoy One Piece and Fairy Tail.

Online Now

@takashichea: do u think that one piece will end before or after fairy tail?

Online Now

@waybig1010101:

Fairy Tail will end sooner because I don't see how Hiro Mashima can continue. We're already past the time skip arc, and the anime is catching up to the manga. For One Piece, I'm not sure if the anime is catching up to the manga. Oda has been working on One Piece forever. That man can keep making stories and characters up without any real progress on Luffy and the crew's dreams.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel