How Much Influnce From The Four Symbols of Chinese Constellation

Topic started by amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge on June 23, 2013. Last post by Hypeathon 1 year, 1 month ago.
Post by amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge (8 posts) See mini bio Level 13

To all major Asian culture/mythology/astrology fans, if you have watched certain anime shows then you probably have notice the inspiration behind most of them. For example, we can not have Dragonball and Shinzo without Journey to the West. Well I have discovered another famous piece of Asian culture that has inspired anime...the Four Symbols.

The Four Symbols
The Four Symbols

According to Chinese Astrology, four mythloical creatures - the Azure Dragon of the East (Qinglong/Seiryu), the Vermillion Bird of the South (Zhuque/Suzuka), the White Tiger of the West (Baihu/Byakko), and the Black Tortoise of the North (Xuanwu/Genbu) - represent a direction (like on a compass) and a season (dragon = spring, bird = summer, tiger = fall, and tortoise = winder) as well as their own individual characteristics and origins. In China, some say that they correspond with the 5 Elements (dragon = wood, bird= fire, tiger = metal, tortoise = water, and the center = earth). There is also a 5th beast - The Yellow Dragon of the Center (Huáng-lóng/Kirin). In Japan, they are known as Four Guardian Spirits of Kyoto (and the 5th beast doesn't exist). So how many anime shows were inspired by this concept? Here's the known list:

1. Shinzo: Although the story was inspired by Journey to the West, the characters were inspired by the Four Symbols: Mursha = Bird, Sago = Dragon, Kutal = Tiger, and Bika = Tortoise (kinda).
  2. Digimon Tamers: Withing the 2nd half of the show, a group of evil Digimon calling themselves the Devas, who, serving the Digimon Sovereigns (also based on the four symbols), believe that true Digimon shouldn't pair up with humans (it is later revealed they were actually misguided). The Digimon Sovereign are named after their Chinese names. There is also a 5th Digimon that supervises the others...which is sort of explained in Digimon Frontiers.
Digimon Sovereign ( Ebonwumon, Baihumon, Zhuqiaomon, Azulongmon, and Fanglongmon)
Digimon Sovereign ( Ebonwumon, Baihumon, Zhuqiaomon, Azulongmon, and Fanglongmon)
  1. Yu Yu Hakusho: Within the first season, there was a third storyline called "The Saint Beasts", where Yusuke and Kuwabara travel to demon world with Kurama and Hiei to stop the Four (Saint) Beasts from invading the human world. They are villains in the show, AND are given there Japanese names than their Chinese names.
The Four (Saint) Beasts (Seiryu the Blue Dragon, Byakko the White Tiger, Suzaku the Lightning Phoenix, and Genbu the Stone Turtle)
The Four (Saint) Beasts (Seiryu the Blue Dragon, Byakko the White Tiger, Suzaku the Lightning Phoenix, and Genbu the Stone Turtle)

(If I missed any, please inform me. Thank you.)

Post by takashichea (11,700 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Oh, this is awesome! I let you know if I find anything that has the Chinese mythology.

There is a show that has 2 of the beasts, Byakko and Suzaku. It's Devil Survivor 2: The Animation.

Descendants of Darkness - Same as Devil Survivor 2, there is a man who can summon both Byakko and Suzaku.

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,030 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge: You missed Tokyo Majin. 4 of the characters can transform into these beasts

Post by Hypeathon (19 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Oh wait, duh! The original Beyblade series. The four main character had bit-beasts that comes with the Beyblades. Tyson's bit beast, Dragoon represented the Azure Dragon of the East, Kai's Beyblade Dranzer represented the Vermillion Phoenix of the South, Ray's Driger represented the White Tiger of the West and Max's bit beast, Draciel represented the Black Tortoise of the North.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel