HOMEWORK: From Scanlations to Legal eManga

Topic started by gia on March 21, 2009. Last post by John_Martone 4 years, 7 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
HOMEWORK 03/21/09: A lot of people read manga electronically, usually via scanlations. Do you think many of these would make the move to legal electronic copies if the price were right (namely cheap or free/ad-supported)? Would you?
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I wouldn't pay for scanalations unless I got to keep them and ad-supported online ones is a no for me I hate ads. I don't read scanalations much I mostly buy manga. It's usually for series that have no chance in the U.S. or that I've just followed for a long time.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
So-- if someone offered you a downloadable scanlation equivalent that was legal, but cost, say, $5 a book, would you do it? Or would it have to be a lower price?
It would have to be a lower price then the book since I don't get to hold it in a paper form.
Post by DocHaus (931 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Ad-supported, probably not. However, I could see myself paying a small fee to download a volume of translated manga if it would support the people who make it.

I could comment that many "scanlations" (seriously, who coined that phrase?) are already free if you know where to look. That's part of the problem, though, with the decreasing profitability of this market.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Generally, my preferred reading methods on a computer are hard to monetize. It's usually image files and .crb/.cbz files, which can usually be downloaded and then distributed freely with any ads cut out. However, they're also easy to obtain and read, which is why I like them. A lot easier than, for example, reading Marvel's digital comics. Manga is a bit harder than anime, which I think should be ad-supported streaming and paid downloads. Manga's all images, so they're easy to just save and distribute on one's own.

With that said, I wouldn't mind ads in such a medium. Ads on sites or in between pages are fine with me.

I don't know how willing I'd be to buy digital copies though. I'd rather buy the real thing.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
Ad-Supported sounds like the way to go for me. Just like buying a comic or a magazine, it's the ads in the book that pay for the actual content.
ethan said:
"Ad-Supported sounds like the way to go for me. Just like buying a comic or a magazine, it's the ads in the book that pay for the actual content.
"
Part of the reason I don't buy magazines. In manga volumes that are released they are always at the back so it doesn't get in the way of the story if it was online then there would likely be an ad on every page of the manga and it could get in the way of pages or be very distracting from the content.
Post by JELEINEN (49 posts) See mini bio Level 1

I wonder how the number of people reading manga online for free compare to the number who just plop themselves down in front of the shelves at Borders or B&N and read them for free there.  I hate those people and have to resist the urge to kick them whenever I'm trying to get to something.

Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I think paying a small fee or having it on a site with ads (non-obtrusive) would really help to manga scanlations legal. Online/Computer Screen reading is a big thing for people nowadays.Just look at the popularity of the Kindle and e-books. I think it'd be neat to see people reading manga digitally on a little handheld kindle type thing. I personally wouldn't be interested in it though. A lit geek to the core, I HATE reading on a screen. It's really irritating having to scroll down and to the left and zoom in because you can't read the text, then zoom out because you can't see the whole image. I much prefer a book to hold in my hands that, nine times out ten, I don't have to move around to see and read everything. Nevertheless, I think digital manga is something that should be looked into, especially if it makes manga more affordable to read.

JELEINEN
said:
"

I wonder how the number of people reading manga online for free compare to the number who just plop themselves down in front of the shelves at Borders or B&N and read them for free there.  I hate those people and have to resist the urge to kick them whenever I'm trying to get to something.

"
Hey, don't hate on the people who read manga in the B&N; back in the day before I was old enough to work and had limited funds, that was the only way I could read manga. Also, a person might want to sit and read one volume of a manga before buying it to see if she likes the series or not; sometimes back cover or wikipedia summaries aren't enough. There are also some manga series that are epically long, that a person can't afford to buy all of them. So she could alternate between buying some to read at home and reading some in the store. Now there are people who just sit and read manga without any intention of ever buying them; those people--not so cool, but no reason to hate on them. I'm guilty of reading large parts of books and back in the day whole manga in bookstores, so I can't really criticize. I do buy manga now though!
Post by DJTyrant (118 posts) See mini bio Level 2
If I can read it on my iPhone I'd be fine with free ad-supported or pay for options.

I personally still prefer the hard copy and never have really gotten into scanlations.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
(I missed this on the first pass)
I think I couldn't really justify paying for electronic copies... When I pay for anything I need to feel a very integrated sense of ownership.

The two exceptions I've had are Steam and the PSN/XBL. In the case of Steam/PSN, I constantly, constantly delete and reinstall games, so its very convenient, plus those such services can offer sales.

Ad supported would be an interesting model, but I'm curious about what @Void_Wizard: has said. I'm used to ads from comic books of yore, but its true I've gotten pretty into cover to cover content.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel