Help Me Find Anime Series Set in College!

Topic started by takashichea on Jan. 14, 2014. Last post by takashichea 3 months, 1 week ago.
Post by takashichea (11,032 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Hey everyone! ElfenLied1012, Delphic, and I were having a conversation on the Winter 2014 Anime Guide, and we notice that every season, we have a lot of anime shows set in a high school, middle school setting. Rarely, we had any anime series set in college. We were making a list of anime series set in college.

Let's make a personal Anime Vice list for everyone who wants something different. I get sick of high school setting especially for slice of life shows. I know I'm the only one who does.

Anime Series Set in College

1. Golden Time
  • Elfen1012

Banri Tada is a newly admitted student at a private law school in Tokyo. Due to the after-effects of an accidental fall from a bridge shortly after high school graduation, he lost all his memories from before then. At the time of the accident, Banri's soul had escaped from his body, and the "Spirit of Banri Tada" came into being, carrying his memories from before graduation.

2. Steins;Gate

Elfen1012

• Hashida tells Rintarou that he recieved the text message that he sent him one week before Rintarou claims to have actually sent it. The only explanation they find plausible is that he somehow sent the text message back through time. With this discovery in mind, Rintarou decides to dig deeper into this mystery of time travel: How did he witness a murder that did not happen? What is SERN hiding about their research into time travel? And is there really a mysterious Organization trying to destroy him, or is it just the paranoid rantings of a madman?
3. Elfen Lied

Elfen1012

• The Diclonius, a mutated homo sapien that is said to be selected by God and will eventually become the destruction of mankind, possesses two horns in their heads, and has a "sixth sense" which gives it telekinetic abilities. Due to this dangerous power, they have been captured and isolated in laboratories by the government. Lucy, a young and psychotic Diclonius, manages to break free of her confines and brutally murder most of the guards in the laboratory, only to get shot in the head as she makes her escape. She survives and manages to drift along to a beach, where two teenagers named Kouta and Yuka discovers her. Having lost her memories, she was named after the only thing that she can now say, "Nyuu," and the two allow her to stay at Kouta's home. However, it appears that the evil "Lucy" is not dead just yet...
4. Soni-Ani SUPER SONICO THE ANIMATION

Elfen1012

• "Super Sonico" debuted as Nitro+'s live mascot girl, and her world will be brought to life in the anime, "SoniAni - SUPER SONICO THE ANIMATION -"!
5. Eden of The East
  • Elfen1012

On November 22, 2010 ten missiles strike Japan. However, this unprecedented terrorist act, later to be called as "Careless Monday," does not result in any apparent victims, and is soon forgotten by almost everyone. Then, 3 months later... Saki Morimi is a young woman currently in the United States of America on her graduation trip. But just when she is in front of the White House, Washington DC, she gets into trouble, and only the unexpected intervention of one of her fellow countrymen saves her. However, this man, who introduces himself as Akira Takizawa, is a complete mystery. He appears to have lost his memory. and he is stark naked, except for the gun he holds in one hand, and the mobile phone he's holding with the other hand. A phone that is charged with 8,200,000,000 yen in digital cash.

6. The Tatami Galaxy
  • Elfen1012

The story is about a nameless Kyoto University student dwelling in reminiscences of his first college years.

7. Welcome to the NHK
  • Elfen1012

An introspective and comedic drama that looks at the life of Tatsuhiro Satõ as it delves into the psychological and emotional effects of his being both a NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training) and a hikikomori (an extreme social recluse).

8. Honey and Clover
  • Elfen1012

A group of art school students try to find their calling, but when a certain pint-sized 19-year-old joins them, chaos and love triangles ensue.

9. Nodame Cantabile
  • Elfen1012

Shinichi Chiaki is a high-class, talented piano student enrolled in his third year at a music observatory in Tokyo with dreams to become a world famous orchestra conductor. His main goal is to study under Sebastiano Vieira, his idol and mentor who lives in Europe. However, a fear of traveling by plane and ship leaves him stranded in preventing him from getting the proper teaching for his goals in Europe. Along with this crisis, Shinichi also has to deal with the advances of second year piano student Megumi Noda, a carefree and messy young woman with a talent for playing the piano. Shinichi must help Megumi realize her potential as a pianist and teach himself the proper social skills to tolerate the unconventional musicians he must train to play for an upcoming orchestra (the S-orchestra) while being taught by the talented, but perverted, conductor Franz von Stresemann.

10. Papa no Ikuoto o Kikinasai
  • Elfen1012

A freshman at university is forced to raise three girls on his own after his sister (their mother) disappeared with her husband in an accident.

11. Genshiken
  • Elfen1012

This is the story of college freshman Kanji Sasahara and his fellow members of the college club he joins, The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture (aka Genshiken), as he goes shopping for doujinshi, attends conventions and slowly but surely makes his way down the road to fandom.

12. Ah! My Goddess
  • Delphic

A boy misdials a takeout order and instead acquires a goddess. Thinking it's a joke, he makes his one wish: for the goddess to be his girlfriend. The wish is accepted, and Keiichi must figure out how to live with his pure goddess girlfriend, Belldandy...and her family.

13. Tenchi in Tokyo
  • Delphic

Tenchi decides to move to Tokyo in order to lead a normal life in the big city. While in Tokyo Tenchi meets a girl named Sakuyo. They soon fall in love but as it turns out a dark sinister force has created Sakuyo to get at Tenchi and rule the earth. Now Tenchi must balance love, friends, and life while defending the earth one last time.

14. Chobits
  • Takashichea

A tale of forbidden love between a boy and a persocom (an android) set in a near future Japan.

15. Rozen Maiden – Zuruckspulen
  • Takashichea

Jun Sakurada, a middle school shut-in receives a single letter. “Yes or No” When Jun chose “yes” he met Shinku, but if Jun chose “no”, he would’ve gone on to college without ever meeting Shinku. Those two worlds were never meant to cross, but now they have connected!!Although the Jun who chose “no” has ventured out to overcome his shut-in nature, he can’t find a place where he belongs. Shinku comes to this world where “Rozen Maidens” aren’t supposed to exist.What will their new encounter bring?!

16. Love Hina

Dream

17. Ai Yori Aoshi: Enishi

Dream

18. NANA

Dream

19. RideBack

Dream

20. C - CONTROL

BigHeart711

21. Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere
22. Death Note
23. Bakuman.
24. Kimi no Iru Machi
Post by Dream (7,237 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: Tenchi in Tokyo wouldn't count as a college-aged title. Tenchi and Sakuya are still in high school in that series.

As for some other examples of college-focused anime or anything involving college age students:

• Love Hina
  • Ai Yori Aoshi
  • Nana
  • Rideback
Post by bigz007 (1,088 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: At first I thought Silver Spoon is set in college because characters are more mature, but I was wrong...

Post by Acura_Max (2,323 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I don't think Steins;Gates belongs on this list. I don't think they ever go near a school in general in that series. The characters themselves don't go to college either.

Post by bigz007 (1,088 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Acura_Max: Okabe had a lecture in episode #1 ...and later on it is said (can't remember what episode) that he goes to college.

Post by Delphic (48 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@takashichea: Since Log Horizon is on this List, could it be considered that .Hack//Sign or Roots could be on it due to the fact that some of the characters are full grown adults? I'm not sure if they are in college though.

Online Now

@Dream:

I wasn't so sure about that series. Wikipedia didn't specify what school while Anime Planet said college. I have to re watch a few episodes.

@bigz007:

I thought Silver Spoon was set in college, but this school is actually a high school since in episode 1, all the students announce their junior high school that they came from.

@Delphic:

We'll make a note of it then. Log Horizon mentions the age and occupation of some of the players. Shiroe stated that he was an engineer.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,704 posts) See mini bio Level 21

C - Control. The school that the main character attends is most likely a college.

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@Delphic: Its my fault I put down Horizon, but meant 'Horizon in the middle of nowhere;, which my buddy who was with me when I was writing this suggested was about a sci-fi college thing. The main cast in all the .hacks are in highschool or are full adults. I can't think of anybody in college during the series and I know it really well > .<

@Acura_Max: Nearly every character is in college in that show with only a few notable exceptions. Hell, the central "Event" of the series happens walking out of a college lecture. I can understand why you miss it though, not much time is spent in college setting, but thematically they all feel like college students and it is their age and social kind of status if you get what I mean.

@takashichea: I'm honestly tapped out on idea of college anime, really a tragedy

Post by Dream (7,237 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Delphic: For Hack/Sign, none of the main cast are college-aged. Sora's in elementary school. Mimiru, Tsukasa and Subaru are high school aged. BT, Silver Knight, Crim and Bear are well past college aged with the first three in their mid to late 20s while Bear is pushing close to 50.

Online Now

@Dream:

Thanks, I forgot to add them. I'll update it. When I use list feature, I have to re add everything.

@Elfenlied1012:

It's okay. You'll get something. I'll replace Log Horizon with Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

@Bigheart711:

I'll add it. Thank you.

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Looks to me like y'all forgot about Death Note and Bakuman. Although, college doesn't play much of a role in some of the character's lives.

Edit: At what point from the manga is the Kimi no Iru Machi anime taking place?

Online Now

@sotyfan16:

Wait, wasn't Bakuman set in high school? Then again, I didn't finish the series. I'll add it. Thanks!

I just got to adjust my list since the code is all buggy.

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@sotyfan16: How the hell did I forget about Death note, wow I feel stupid right now.

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: Actually, it started in junior high but it spanned about 10 years where the characters were in college.

@Elfenlied1012: And I only just realized both shows I suggested were made by the same duo.

Online Now

@sotyfan16:

I should get back to Bakuman. I added Kimi no Iru Machi just in case. College doesn't really play much of a role compared to high school and junior high. The only time I see it played a big role was in Golden Time, mostly college clubs.

Online Now

Here's the College blog I set up. Feel free to check it out when you have time.

Post by othus12 (6,336 posts) See mini bio Level 12

oreimo

Online Now

@othus12:

Oreimo was in high school. They mention college a few times. In the True Route of Oreimo 2, Kyousuke graduated, but it never show the college.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel