Guess Who's Coming to Dinner: Hayate the Combat Butler

Topic started by sickVisionz on March 12, 2012. Last post by sickVisionz 2 years, 4 months ago.
Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I've wanted to own something Hayate the Combat Butler related ever since I saw the series years ago, but due to the large episode count, the price of the US release was always more than I'm willing to pay for a barebones US release (8 volumes that usually retail for $25-$35) and while the price of importing was oddly less (3 volumes priced at $57), it was only so because it too was a barebones release, which didn't appeal to me. When I heard that there was going to be a theatrical film, it's eventual BD released seemed like it would be the perfect combination of price and extras that I was looking for. About after first hearing of the project, it's arrived at my doorstep.

Specs

All the bells and whistles
All the bells and whistles

Media

• BD with feature film including bonus footage
  • DVD with theatrical cut

Audio/Visual

• 16:9 Video
  • JP Dolby True HD 5.1
  • JP Linear PCM Stereo
  • JP Dolby Digital Stereo
  • No Subtitles

On Disc Extras

• Movie trailers/teasers
  • Commentary
  • Trailer for live-action series

Packaging

I sprung for the limited edition which comes in a nice BD-sized chipboard case that is very similar to NISA's Premium Editions in hardness and thickness. One minor complaint I have, however, is that is that a wrap-around flyer was shrinkwrapped to the release and it's spine looks prettier than the actual spine of the box. Once opened, there is no way to attach this to the set without using glue or tape, two options I would never do under any circumstances.

Bonus Items

Usually the best part about importing, this release does not disappoint. The first thing that you'd notice about the set if you saw it in person is how thick it is. This is because included with the release is an over 300 page storyboard book of the entire film. While less massive but still pretty sweet, the release includes a multipage booklet with interviews featuring manga creator Kenjirou Hata and anime character designer Hideto Komori. Rounding out the package was something I didn't even know would be included: a strip of film cells from the movie itself. I haven't seen the film yet so I don't know exactly how awesome mine is, I was pretty stoked that it includes Nagi, Hayate, and a third character with their faces shown and two other characters (I believe one of them is either Sakuya or Ayumu) with their backs to the camera. I've heard horror stories about people getting film strips that are nothing but the back of someone's head so I'm very excited about the one I received.

All In All

I'm totally satisfied with the release. I haven't watched the movie yet so I can't comment about it at all, but it's Hayate so I'm sure it will be fine. I love the extras and the packaging is really nice.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel