Grammar and More

Topic started by gia on March 19, 2009. Last post by lordhaseo 5 years, 9 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I was looking back at that Twilight post and I noticed that there was a bit of arguing between some of you guys about people using (or failing to use) proper grammar. I thought I'd go ahead and address it here.

First off: yes, we do try to insist on decent grammar for the wiki. This is because people use the wiki to find information, and if the information is convoluted by poor grammar, then it can't be conveyed properly. And if there IS information, even if it uses poor grammar, it may stop someone from later adding information said more properly.

That said...remember that this is a website about a medium that comes from another country, whose fans exist all around the world. Meaning that a lot of the people on this site (and others) speak English as a second language. Note that a lot of the people here may be young, and yes, some of them may be less intelligent, or even have developmental issues-- should they be any less permitted to interact with people on a website?

That said, there ARE steps you can take to try and bring up the intelligence (or at least grammar) level of the site-- and note that NONE of them involve whining, bitching,  and yelling at people in the comment threads, eh?

The biggest thing you can do is to simply start intelligent conversations. Participate in other conversations intelligently. And then you can also bring your intelligent friends to the site, too-- I'm particularly fond of that one :)

So, to sum up: try to play nice. Using poor grammar doesn't mean someone a bad person, and yelling or whining isn't likely to make them magically learn several years' worth of phonics. Try some of the more positive, productive tips I mentioned above.

Thanks! <3
Post by lordhaseo (2,509 posts) See mini bio Level 7
im one of them, i mess up some words some times but i was always like that its mosly with the voules, see i cant spell that word ether! :(
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
lordhaseo said:
"im one of them, i mess up some words some times but i was always like that its mosly with the voules, see i cant spell that word ether! :("
As from a previous post on a different thread, I recommend downloading the Firefox web browser for those who aren't adept at spelling words. It has a built in thing that will underline words spelled wrong like Microsoft Word. It may not help with grammar but at least it helps with spelling.
i told ya, the school computers block that site and for some resion  my computer wount run it!?
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
lordhaseo said:
"i told ya, the school computers block that site and for some resion  my computer wount run it!?"
Even without Firefox, you can use a word processing program similar to Microsoft Word. It may be a bit more cumbersome to copy and paste something from a program to a post but at least you can have less spelling and grammatical errors.

Also, dictionary.com is your best friend. You can look up words you aren't confident in spelling. The site will give you suggestions if you did misspell a word.
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Everyone makes mistakes, but the important thing is learning from them.
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Yay for proper grammar! I'm okay with the occasional typo or spelling/grammatical error. However when it's all over and there's netspeak thrown in the mix-- I can't make sense of it; that's when I get irritated. Just a brief skimming of your text and/or run of spell check before you post might help catch errors.
Post by Tempest (895 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I tend to be lazy with punctuation and proper sentence structures at times...but not so much when I edit pages or write RPG posts (but I refuse to use spell/grammar check in Firefox...I hate it so much since it underlines names, and if I haven't made the correct settings, all words that aren't Swedish ~.~).

My tolerance for lazy/badly written sentences is quite high as long as its content is comprehendable x). Can't be too critical against people's language when my own English usage isn't perfect (I blame not living in an English-speaking country).
well, no ones perfict!
Post by Katsumi_Shizuka (364 posts) See mini bio Level 7
No no one's perfect, so grammar mistakes on teh forum isn't that big of a deal. I do wonder why people do make it such a big deal, but oh well.

Anyway, I've been shamelessly plugging Animevice on some Anime sites. I should do it more.
Katsumi_Shizuka said:
"No no one's perfect, so grammar mistakes on teh forum isn't that big of a deal. I do wonder why people do make it such a big deal, but oh well.

Anyway, I've been shamelessly plugging Animevice on some Anime sites. I should do it more."

so true
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel