Gosick stuff

Topic started by Halberdierv2 on May 27, 2011. Last post by takashichea 3 years, 3 months ago.
Post by Halberdierv2 (1,293 posts) See mini bio Level 17
 well, for those who are following the series, its drawing to its close soon, with only a handful of episodes remaining till the end, its getting more and more intense each episode, with some murder mystery moments interrupted with occasional funny breaks and more prevelant recently, heavy action sequences and a dramatic story involving Victorique's village and her past.

I've done some episodes in detail in the past, and as the ending draws near, the episodes get more intense and action-packed, and require a lot more info on them. a good example is Episode 18 here, which took (albeit broken up a lot) 7 hours and over 50 screenshots, which shows it takes a while to get a quality product done.
 These Guys have it rough..
 These Guys have it rough..

Im just asking for some help with ese episodes, and the writeup, especially as it draws to a close, a solid ending writeup will be a great thing for the wiki, and encourage people to build up other articles.
so how's about sending off this great show with a bang, eh, Animevice?

or do I have to convince you otherwise... I mean, no one's pointing a gun at you or anything.....

Psych.
 Psych.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,289 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Well, I might be able to give you a hand (you can put the gun down now), but I haven't did a wiki in a long time 
Post by takashichea (12,438 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Awesome job! I know how you feel working alone on a project by yourself.  I also know how you feel when editing images. I had to erase so many watermarks for shaman king and Fairy Tail and some others. I just went and took images when the subtitles do not appear. Sometimes, it frustrates me when a good image appears but the subs won't go away.

I love your captions, but you should use headers.  I had a problem with wiki style until Ethan, Fire_Star and EgantheVile1 and FoxxFireArt helped me.
See Ethan's blog. Keep going man!

Plot Summary

This is the first one to start with.
Post by AURON570 (572 posts) See mini bio Level 15
wow and I thought I wrote some detailed episode summaries. I might actually check some of these out to get a better understanding of the series. I feel like some of the plot just went over my head :S. With that said, great work dude!
@AURON570: thanks. I think the Ep in the blog probably isnt the best example, I got carried away with screenshottimg. (my grandad had died around the time I did this, so i was probably overcompensating without quite realizing it.)  I did pretty much go over any major plot point I saw while watching it, but most don't have to get this detailed. The one I did for Episode 20 is a better example grammar wise, although its a bit thin on screenshots.
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Halberdierv2: Good job. A few things I noticed though

• You're not supposed to have subtitles and CR watermarks in images for wiki articles.
  • It looks like your computer is vertically squashing the aspect ratio, making everyone look chunky
  • I saw a CR logo, are you watching the 720p streams? I think that would help with your picture quality or you could always shrink the images after you take them.

Also, at 7 hours part of me think maybe you're doing something in a less than ideal way. Here's my process:

1. Printscreen program. This is key. I use a free one called Gadwin PrintScreen. You can assign the function to a hotkey and it'll take a quick .jpg. It's pretty fast two. I can hammer on it like 3+ times a second during an action scene and it keeps up with me and doesn't bog my computer down either.
  2. If you need to resize stuff (like maybe you're only watching a 480p stream and the quality drops when you take a full screen capture), I use a free program called PhotoScape. It's got some issue as a pro picture editor (no layers) but it's batch processing is the easiest I've seen. I can drag a full folder of stuff and within 4 or 5 clicks it's running on it's own.
  3. If I'm in the mood for taking a stupid amount of pictures I usually just watch a show normally and then watch it again with subtitles turned off and hammer on the screengrab hotkey whenever something cool is on screen. You can do this (no subtitle mode) on Crunchyroll for all of their simulcasts. If I'm not in the mood to spend an hour doing picture stuff then I usually take a smaller amount like 30 or something. During those times I'll just watch the show once and pause when I see something I like and use Gadwin to get a quick screen shot.
  4. Once I'm done taking pictures I goto the folder where they are and preview them and delete ones that I don't need. My leniency depends on how much work I want to do. I think the range of raw pictures that I usually take in the hammer the button method is like 300-700. Outside of that one episode in the link and the last episode of Katanagatari (a one hour show), I never come close to keeping anything anywhere near the bottom range. I will usually end up with 40 to 150 pics that I like on the first pass of preview/deletions.
  5. Once I've found the pics I want to keep, maybe i'll shrink them depending on whether they need it to look good. This is the quickest part because PhotoScape makes it ultra easy to do batch editing.
  6. Once I'm done with things that I can do without Vice, I upload them to the episode (max of 70 at a time).
  7. The Staff has been sticklers about captioning (I used to not do it at all or do it cheaply with just the names) so after uploading straight to an episode I goto to My Images and caption from there. It's better here because images aren't cropped so while they are still tiny, you can at least see everything in the pic if your eyes are good or your monitor is close enough to your face. This is the longest part after actually watching the show. Because I know I have to do this, it plays a major role in me deciding how many pictures I'm actually going to upload.
  8. After that, I pull up all of the characters that are in the episode and go through attaching the pics to their image galleries. Captioning the pics actually helps a lot with this part. If there are captions on pics and you've put everyone's name in it, this can be quick since you're just scanning for names and you don't have to worry about missing someone because AV shows you a cropped image (why oh why the image editing is cropped in one area of the site and uncropped in another escapes me. Now, the staff has never insisted or emphasized this but I think it's super important to do. In my ideal Vice, if anyone ever saw a picture of a character on the site, they could goto that characters page and it'd be there. Whether it be manga, anime pics, fan art, cosplay, etc. When I do an episode I always have that dream in mind so I attach and link stuff accordingly, plus I like seeing huge numbers when you hover your mouse over the main image in a wiki article

When it comes to actually filling out an episode for text, I usually do that immediately after watching it once or I'll do it when the show does its mid episode break and then again once it's done.

@sickVisionz: thanks for the advice. as i said to the guy above, I wasn't my normal self when I did that ep, so I went crazy with the screenshots. the long time would also be factored to that reason, although usually when I sit down to do an article, I usually get disturbed by somebody calling me to do something, and I can't finish till a couple of hours later, throwing me off mentally.

ITO aspect ratio, Im only getting the 480p stream, so it does get blurry sometimes. usually, I wait until the watermark disappears on the screen before taking a shot, but sometimes it's either ambiguous with whatever's showing on screen, or I forget. I usually don't tho. when i get back my old computer, Ill try the rescaling feature. although, the image in the article looks squashed, if you go to the actual image on site, it looks fine (dunno why it does that.)

I usually comb through my images to attach it to characters, although I usually only caption the ones I use. otherwise they're just organized before they're uploaded.

Im general, I like to use CR for screen shots, since the subs aren't attached to the vid directly, and a well-timed pause can make them disappear. although, since I'm now using a 3:4 monitor for the time being, I can usually crop the black borders off the image, and it should look better than the older ones I uploaded.

unfortunately, I do have a bit of a disadvantage in that since I have to share the computer, and I have slow internet (im talking kbps here) I pretty much can only watch it once, and write the commentary then. the main problem is that I never get a polished article, even if I go back and try to re-edit what I wrote, it still comes out feeling over-explained in some areas and rushed in others.

still, thanks for the advice with the screenshots.
Post by takashichea (12,438 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Halberdierv2 said:

I pretty much can only watch it once, and write the commentary then. the main problem is that I never get a polished article, even if I go back and try to re-edit what I wrote, it still comes out feeling over-explained in some areas and rushed in others. still, thanks for the advice with the screenshots.

If you think your plot summaries are long and over explained, do not fret. I used to think my plot summaries are long, too. After seeing FoxxFireArt and Anna's plot summaries, I found their style as the answer, and it also follow the wiki style. For polished plot summaries, I just read it out loud to myself or to others. I feel like there is no such thing as perfection because I just do the best I can do. That means that I should not make up stuff up. If I am confused on something, I just replay the episode or type in a note (if I still don't get it).

Arc Name

• Japanese Title (Date is optional)
  • Short Plot Summary (about a paragraph or less)

Full Plot Summary

• Opening Themes
  • The big detailed stuff with all the images or links (no redundant links)
  • Closing Themes

Points of Interests

• Anime/Manga Differences
  • Censorship
  • Or straight out facts or trivia from the episode

I follow this guideline because it looks very organized for plot summaries that are very lengthy. Plus, the short plot summary helps balance out the overly detailed plot summary.

The only bad thing about this format that it takes a lot of time. (Happens to me after finishing the whole Rave Master anime only to reformat the whole thing)

It's up to you to choose the simple way (see my earlier post above) or this way.

Examples:

Fairy Tail episodes: 1-9, 40, 41, 49, 68, 70-85

Rave Master episodes: 1-28 right now (still reformatting after 28)

One Piece episodes: all or most of them

Bakuman episodes: 1-6

I can't find anything besides Shounen anime examples for you.

End to a Project

Im just asking for some help with ese episodes, and the writeup, especially as it draws to a close, a solid ending writeup will be a great thing for the wiki, and encourage people to build up other articles.

so how's about sending off this great show with a bang, eh, Animevice?

or do I have to convince you otherwise... I mean, no one's pointing a gun at you or anything....

I had the same question about how to end a wiki project (anime or the manga portion). I guess I should write up a review or a guide to promote the franchise.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel