Get Your Questions Answered By Some VIZ Staffers

Topic started by No_name_here on Oct. 28, 2011. Last post by Levance 3 years ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

I'm doing an interview with some VIZ staffers coming up - - specifically a senior editor and a guy involved with digital - - and, while I was putting together some questions, I realized this would be a lot more interesting if I could relay some questions from you lunatics. So go on and PM your respective Q's, and I'll put them into the interview.

Before anybody hits those keys, though, you should all be aware that this is a host/guest situation and I'm expecting you all to be as polite as you'd be in real life. If you disagree with some of VIZ's policies, this could be an opportunity to have them addressed in a public and civil forum. However, if you give me hostile questions, you'll be ignored. If you make rude comments in the interview's talkback, you better believe your posts will be taken down immediately. Be sure not to act surprised.

With that clarified, I'm looking forward to getting some good questions from you lunatics! This is will be a rare and fun opportunity. Depending on the response, I may not be able to relay everybody's Q's, so act fast!

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,647 posts) See mini bio Level 25
@Tom_Pinchuk
I really don't know much of what to ask anyone at VIZ. They are easily one of the most prolific in censorship and alterations of manga. They butchered my favorite manga series.  I even tried to stomach all the name changes they put in Detective Conan, but when I saw translation errors. I couldn't take it any more. Censorship is a sin to stories. I guess I'll consider some questions and post them later. I'm currently trying to put together the AV Community Spotlight.
Post by Bigheart711 (4,181 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

Question: What do any of you at VIZ think about the Streaming Video vs. Physical DVD concept and which one do you prefer? Also, why did you choose that medium?

Post by takashichea (13,769 posts) See mini bio Level 25

How will Viz make digital manga inexpensive and convenient to everyone, online, Kindle, Ipad, and more?

How wide are the selections of manga in the digital library? What are the language options for these digital format?

What are your goals for the future of ViZ? Improvements?

I got some inspiration from DestinyHeroKnight's thread on We Getting Closer and Closer to a Manga SimulCast?

I'll try to come with more questions later.

Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
@Tom_Pinchuk
Oooh! Sounds cool! I got a few questions!

• Light Novels seem to be in high demand, but surprisingly few have gotten a North American/English release. Is Viz looking to dig deeper into novels, or will you be focusing more on manga and anime? 
  •  Is Viz considering looking into eBooks and electronic release of Japanese light novels, in English?
  •  I'm a huge fan of Maoh: Juvenile Remix. It's great to see such small name manga get an English release. Are you planning on picking up less main stream titles, or do you hope to stick to the big names?
  •  Are there any currently airing, or recently aired anime that Viz would love to pick up and dub?

@takashichea:

Manga simulcast will be utterly pointless if they continue to censor and alter. The audience that is reading online goes for the authentic story. That's not something VIZ is well known for.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,376 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@FoxxFireArt:

Viz don't have the time to censor and alter with the Manga simulcast (they even said they keep all the sound effect in) I glad they doing this, it might be a sign they changing there ways (just like how FUNimation have change)

@Destinyheroknight:

That's an assumption. They could very well say that chapters wont come out in the US until two or three week after it's released in Japan. That's more than enough time to alter art and text of content. Keeping sound effects in is utterly meaningless if they continue what they have been doing for years. What would be the point of them releasing the simulcast manga that's different than the physical book that's released?

Are they really going to publish Detective Conan online with the real Japanese names. That would completely contradict what they actually publish in the U.S. Another example is how they painted out the cigarette and lighter from Shikamaru's hand in Naruto. In that case, the murder of Asuma was fine to see in detail, but smoking was taboo.

I'm willing to accept them if they actually do start to change their ways, but I'm not going to be the least bit surprised when they show they don't. Even on the off chance they don't alter the online version, how does that make them any better if the physical book they publish is then censored?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,376 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@FoxxFireArt:

I guess I'll have to wait and see

They just doing Bakuman, Bleach, Naruto, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, One Piece, and Torikofor the simulcast

Post by takashichea (13,769 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I think I forgot about the Korean Manhwas.

Is Viz going to cover Korean Manhwas as well?

Edit: Any Asian comics? I have to look up European comics.

@Tom_Pinchuk:

Question: With the amount of censorship and alterations done, where does the English reading audience have to go for the authentic story if VIZ wont publish uncut versions of manga in the very way it produces uncut anime DVDs? Why is the anime audience offered a choice, but not the manga readers? I go to scanlations, because I know they wont censor.

Question: Why should readers choose VIZ online manga when scanlations wont censor the art or change character names?

@takashichea:

Other publishers are better about manhwa. Good rule of thumb I have. Don't trust VIZ to ever do anything. They've done little to deserve it. Yen Press and Kondansha US are doing great work.

@ZombiePie:

That's your assumption. Quite frequently I see Kodansha manga outselling VIZ in best sellers lists. VIZ is the only publisher that continues this level of censorship and alteration of the original content. It wasn't that long ago VIZ had layoffs. I haven't seen any of that from the other manga publishers.

Fullmetal Alchemists is coming to an end in the US. The Naruto manga also looks to be winding down to a finale not far off. When those two end, VIZ will be taking a major hit. They just publish a lot of book and once, some of them poorly.

Post by Dream (8,108 posts) See mini bio Level 21
I'd ask them what they are doing regarding the anime titles they've acquired.

When are you releasing more physical media (DVDs/ Blu-Ray) of Monster?
Why are you sitting on licenses to titles you've had out of print for years (Video Girl Ai, Saikano, Key the Metal Idol as examples)?
Why do you still release single DVD volumes of anime when every other major anime distributor in the US have gotten into releasing box sets of titles they've acquired in recent years?

@ZombiePie:

That would make sense if VIZ wasn't already publishing the same series twice in different formats. They are publishing what they call the VIZ Big series. Basically three volumes of the regular manga in one larger version. That would be the perfect opportunity to produce a an uncut version of the manga in a different format, but it's just the same censored version in a different package. They already know there is a market out there for uncut versions of the anime. They distribute two different version of the anime.

If they were producing to the demands of the audience, scanlations wouldn't be such a problem for them. I know a lot of scan sites that dropped series published by Yen Press and Kodansha, because they saw these companies doing authentic versions of the series.

VIZ can't say they don't want users to read scanlations when they refuse to put out a product that meets the scans for authenticity. Not long ago in Naruto, VIZ painted out a cigarette and lighter from the mouth and hands of Shikamaru. It looked idiotic to show the character on the page making the motions of lighting a cigarette with nothing in his hands and mouth. This was suppose to be a touching scene of him saying goodbye to his chain smoking teacher, but they made it into this ridiculous scene that made no sense.

In my favorite manga series, Detective Conan; they changed all the names of the characters to Europeans. It's a series that takes place in Tokyo, but none of the protagonists are even Japanese by the way it's published in the US. I've even seen translation errors. It's a murder mystery series that gets the evidence wrong.

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@ZombiePie: @FoxxFireArt: You know, you two have completely obliterated the actual point and purpose of this thread. LOL, Fox is slagging Viz, which is the exact opposite of what Tom requested and meanwhile Zombie is on a tirade about capitalism and free markets in a thread where Tom is asking users to submit questions to asks Viz. That's the internet for you: 50% of threads eventually devolve into two people epically arguing about something that the thread isn't even about.

@sickVisionz:

Yes, the discussion about VIZ's publishing and editing practices must have been rather misplaced in a forum discussing an interview with a editor of VIZ and their online distribution futures.

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Except you haven't posed a single question, which was the entire point of this thread. You've just gone on your usual tirade about why you hate Viz.

@sickVisionz:

Try reading the thread again for the word "Question" I put in bold twice.

Post by Levance (1,846 posts) See mini bio Level 12

There exist some way to change the user name without suscribing to whiskey media?

I know this isn't the place to ask this, but I believed that if a way exist, someone here must know

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel