Geneon Heads to Universal’s House For The Holidays

Topic started by gia on Nov. 12, 2008. Last post by gia 5 years, 11 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Universal and Geneon
Universal and Geneon
I know, I know, it takes a lot to roust me from my self-imposed exile at the moment (it’s coming soon, I promise! Sooooooon!)…but this is a lot, so lets get started:

Geneon parent Dentsu has announced (Japanese PDF) that it is selling the majority ownership of Geneon Entertainment (that would be the Japanese company, not just the US branch) to NBC’s Universal Pictures, where it will merge with Universal Pictures Japan. The transfer will officially take place at the end of November.

Now, the question is…what will this mean for anime fans? My personal speculation is that it won’t change much. Geneon has pretty well stopped operating its US branch (its website even forwards to FUNimation’s now– seriously, check it out, geneonanimation.com). I figure odds are good that the company will continue being involved with anime in Japan, however– at the moment they’re distributing the Koharu Biyori OVAs and Kamen no Maid Guy, as well as the Universal films they’ve been distroing since March.

As always, that’s my speculation, and I don’t have any insider info or anything, so I could turn out to be way off, etc.

(Via ANN.)

Edit: More at Variety, who claim that the new company will continue to develop “a slate of local pics and other content.”

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel