Geek Dream Team: Masi Oka, Gary Whitta, DreamWorks

Topic started by gia on June 8, 2009. Last post by Zeouterlimits 5 years, 3 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Okay, justifying this one as being “anime” or Japan-related is a little tough, but the anime news sites all went through that phase where every time Heroes star Masi Oka (who, of course, plays Hiro) said the word “anime” or “manga” we fell all over each other posting about it. More importantly, I definitely think this project sounds like one that would appeal to anime and manga fans out west, so I'm hoping you'll forgive me this one.

Masi Oka is set to exec-produce a film with DreamWorks titled The Defenders, which revolves around a group of MMORPG players (mostly teenagers) who, after playing together in the game, are forced to come together and go on an adventure in reality, outed from their handles and avatars, and of course, no longer in the comfy confines of a computer, where getting killed just means respawning from far away instead of, y'know, actually dying.

Gary Whitta, former editor-in-chief of PC Gamer (US and UK editions) as well as writer for Futurama and the Death Jr. comics, will be writing the film. Whitta also recently had a script titled The Book of Eli get purchased by Warner Bros, and on top of that, he's scriptwriter currently set to work on the live-action Akira film.

There has been no word yet whether it's a CG film or live-action (DreamWorks does do both), which I'm guessing means that it's undecided or no one thought to ask/reveal. Oka, of course, has some past in CG film work, having worked for LucasArts Industrial Lights & Magic team on various special effects generator programs and the like.

On the other hand, Oka likens the film to the Goonies and other films by Amblin Entertainment, who were responsible for Back to the Future, *batteries not included, and Gremlins. And yet back to that first hand: they also did Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Land Before Time, and they're working on the upcoming Tintin film.

Which would you prefer, CG or live-action? Does this sound like something you'd go see?
Post by coonce (151 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
great pic.
Post by lanaswift (636 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Actually, that sounds like a really cool idea. I hope they do it as a live-action; DreamWorks is pretty hit-or-miss on their CG stuff. I mean, sure, they did Shrek, but they also did Kung Fu Panda and Bee Movie, which weren't bad, but weren't particularly great.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
So it's like Tron in reverse?
@ethan: But with fewer light bikes and more Star Wars references.
Post by NovidAnon (82 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Oh so not only Mr Whitta is writing a Densel Washington Film hes doing this as well? Awesome. Hes in NeoGaf, where Im not a anon but yeah...hes awesome.
Post by Zeouterlimits (516 posts) See mini bio Level 7
As long as it's not filled with nerdy stereotypes I'm happy.
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Zeouterlimits: I want nerdy stereotypes. I want overweight pimply boys with bad facial hair who are completely incapacitated by the sight of a woman.
@Baku_Sensei: I have little doubt you'll get one.
Post by Zeouterlimits (516 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@Baku_Sensei: I'm sure you do. Perv.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel