Future of AnimeVice (Screened Fate is decided)

Topic started by Figcoinc on April 2, 2012. Last post by takashichea 2 years, 7 months ago.
Post by Figcoinc (1 posts) See mini bio Level 5

I know this has been spoken about ad-nauseum, but an event just transpired. We all know about Tested change, but the other Whiskey site "Screened" just made an announcement. They are going to change up the site some, and sadly Rorie is no longer with the website. So pretty much Screened is without Alex nor Rorie at this point. They promised to bring in new authors to fill in the void.

Rorie said things are OK, and he is not hurting for cash at this time but is looking for his next spot.

Of course this now brings us to AnimeVice. The lost duckling of the old Whiskey Media group. They moved forward on the top site which as Tested, hit the restart button on Screened, but what of this site? I've lurked around this site for years. Not much of a anime guy, but I always checked to see if any interesting suggestions for movies/series came up.

I am guessing we will hear an announcement from the new owners soon. I hope more structure will work, and regular authors. I've always been a lurker, but I also know many on here do not visit Screened. So I wanted to pass the news along. Whatever it ends up I think they will try to expand the site to bring in more hits.

Post by sickVisionz (4,308 posts) See mini bio Level 24

The screened letter seemed pretty down to Earth, but only time will tell what changes are coming. The one positive thing about AV, and this really shouldn't be a positive thing, is that I really don't see how they could possibly make site worse unless they functionally or literally shutdown the site.

AV's treatment at the hands of WM was about as bad as it could get.

Post by colorbrandon (30 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I hope BB realizes the importance of web-personalities with the solidarity that Tested has been showing.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,238 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I imagine they'll take it slow here and probably hire a few new freelancers and see how things pick up, that would be my guess. It sounds like they have the right idea with Screened, bringing new people on but not pushing any huge changes on the site too quickly. I'm sure BermanBraun has the power to do great things both with Screened and this site, it should be interesting to see how things go from here on out.

Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Here's hoping things get better for Animevice.

Post by Aaron_G (4 posts) See mini bio Level 5

Well, the site has kind of run itself for a while even as it was part of Whiskey Media. It shall be interesting to see what BermanBraun decides to do with AV.

Post by Addfwyn (408 posts) See mini bio Level 16

The fact that Screened itself continues to exist, and they are just looking for new writers/personalities is a good thing to me. Essentially that's all AV has really needed. Tom is great, don't get me wrong, but a bigger staff would be good. AV has never hurt in the community department, so with an infusion of some video content and staff, things could look up.

Post by takashichea (13,337 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I've read the articles, Hello from BermanBraun and Matt Rorie's Goodbye. I think that Anime Vice is in good hands. Whiskey Media had grown too big and it couldn't manage all of its sites which left Anime Vice without a strong staff presence.

Edit:

I was reading the comments. Most people would leave Screened since Matt Rorie and Alex, the two who made the site unique. It's probably the same when Gia and John left Anime Vice. (I was not an Anime Vice user back then) The site personalities are like the keystones in the communities.

If Tom and Godlen left, we would lose more people. Right now, the community needs to stay together. This past semester, I seen a lot of new wiki editors, and I have contacted some of them to see if everything's fine and what they need help on.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,647 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@sickVisionz: @Daniel_Newton:

We are seeing the downside of creating sites based on the personalities. When all the original personalities are gone, you lose what attached people to the site.

I think they made a big mistake over on Screened. They should of introduced the new guys while Rorie was still there. By Rorie leaving then introducing new people. They are basically playing the role of step-parents to a bunch of ticked off users. A lot of people left and don't want to give the new people a chance, because they were invested emotionally with the staff they knew. There is no attachment to these new people.

Having Rorie there while the new writers were getting known, the users would have been much more open to give the new people a chance. Then once they got to know them there would be a chance for Rorie to leave will less stress.

@takashichea said:

It's probably the same when Gia and John left Anime Vice. (I was not an Anime Vice user back then) The site personalities are like the keystones in the communities.

The thing about this is that when those two were gone, users such as myself and Sora started submitting articles of our own. I had been submitting articles even while Gia and John were still here, and Sora was the one who revived the Quick Picks segment in article form. Then other mods and a few users joined in. Tom followed soon after. Me and the mods submitting articles were know well by the user base. They didn't kick out Gia and John and get replaced by a much of people who no one knew.

I know I wouldn't be happy at all to not be able to submit anymore news or editorials. I really enjoy doing that. I'd be doing it more if I could.

Post by sickVisionz (4,308 posts) See mini bio Level 24

It's unfortunate that it seems like any article not made by staff, with the exception of the Community Spotlight, has been removed from the front page. Most of them weren't attached to the forums either so they are very much in a dead zone in inaccessibility now.

@FoxxFireArt said:

They didn't kick out Gia and John and get replaced by a much of people who no one knew.

To be fair though, they didn't replace them with anyone. They just left the community to fend for itself. I think fresh faces and new blood would have been better than what happened to AV when Gia and John were let go.

Post by takashichea (13,337 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Without site personalities and staff, you guys and my teammates have made the community better by posting stuff and getting people involved. If we weren't limited by the lack of staff to post articles and videos, this community would come back strong. In the meantime, I need to make a blog to supplement the Faces of Anime Vice page.

A lot of people seem to prejudge a community's livelihood by its site personality and how robust its forum activity is. This discourages new people to come in and older residents to stay in the community.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel