Funimation ruins D.Gray-Man!?

Topic started by UsagiChan on Feb. 11, 2009. Last post by OkazukiIchigo 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by UsagiChan (42 posts) See mini bio Level 5

When I was at the NYCC this past weekend - I watched some of the D.Gray-Man screening. And the English voice acting is TERRIBLE! Gosh, Allen's voice was just so...Bad. To the point where I had to run out of the room.

Anybody prefer dubbed D.Gray-Man over subbed?

Post by Sonata (35,339 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Funimation's dubbs are usually hit or miss I'm not that surprised it didn't sound good

I watched some of it because I wanted to see if they'd "surprise me" for once. But, of course I was wrong.
They really destroy animes sometimes. I was irritated to find out that they got their hands on D.Gray-Man.

Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Is there something Funimation doesn't ruin?
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I'm usually pretty open minded when it comes to dubs... at least they've improved over the years but some are still not that great.
... at least it was HORRENDOUSLY GYAH like the old days right (not that'd I know that much about the old days... I'm still a youngster)?

I'll give it a shot once I get a hold of the dvd. Watched a bit of Ouran dubbed and was just "..." about most of it. Off the top of my head, I liked Funi's dub of Mushishi.
RedRoses said:
"I'm usually pretty open minded when it comes to dubs... at least they've improved over the years but some are still not that great.
... at least it was HORRENDOUSLY GYAH like the old days right (not that'd I know that much about the old days... I'm still a youngster)?

I'll give it a shot once I get a hold of the dvd. Watched a bit of Ouran dubbed and was just "..." about most of it. Off the top of my head, I liked Funi's dub of Mushishi."
I haven't watched Mushishi yet. Is it any good?
I dunno, I tend to avoid dubs like they're the plague x.x I've watched some of Ouran dub and it made me cringe.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
If you like chillaxing anime, than Mushishi is for you. It's one of those nice, calm stress relievers. The series is episodic and each episode takes place in a different part of fuedal (I believe if I remember correctly) Japan. There is only one main character named Ginko and he keeps moving from place to place so you don't really get much character development other than from Ginko but even his is limited. The art (especially the backgrounds and the mushi) are beautifully done. It's like watching a beautiful art gallery flowing through the scenes. Maybe I'm just being overdramatic about it, but it really is beautiful.

Dubs aren't that bad... they could be worse. The anime industry has improved a lot but what Funi does is that they tend to recycle voice actors that aren't made for their role *coughslikeVicasTamakicoughs*. I've liked the dubbing choices done with Bandai Entertainment stuff.

I've totally derailed from the original discussion of Funi ruining D.Gray-man. xP
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
meh, that applies to everything to close-minded individuals
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel